Tailcutter Workshop

Hi there everybody!

My name is Neven and I've been reading here for last 8 years, and of course I also have built some guitars in the meantime, so I figured why not show some of them here finally? After all this is the site that got me into guitar building, and is my main source of information and inspiration.

I don't build guitars for living, I make them for my own pleasure.

I buy wood locally, and buy hardware from Stewmac or Rockinger, or sometimes get some used hardware as (sort of) a payment for repairs or repaints...

It is not all top-notch, I work with what I have available, but it makes me happy.

For those who are interested and have a few minutes, you can look at my site:

Tailcutter Guitars,

it is mostly in croatian but I'm sure you'll manage...

The site is always "in progress", it doesn't yet contain all of my work but I'm trying to put it all together.

For those who open topics and look only for pictures and don't read, as I sometimes do myself in a hurry, here are a few teasers:

Padouk Petrucci-inspired guitar, not yet wired...

P1000124.JPG

Blackmachine/Ibanez S inspired 7string in progress:

P1000572.JPG

Also in progress, update to follow in some time:

- Sapeli ParkerFly inspired 6 string

- LesPaul inspired flat-top 6 string

- Blackmachine inspired 6 string flame top

- EBMM Petrucci inspired 6 string ash body

- ESP Michael Wilton inspired 6 string

- Ibanez RG/JPM/ESP M inspired 6 string walnut body

- 6 string strat and 6 string reverse headstock strat

and many more...

About the 7-string:

body is made of ash+sapele central core, and ash wings topped with figured maple.

Body is 38mm thick.

Pickups are (I believe) Ibanez V77 and V87 (taken from RG7420)

Neck is maple with padouk fingerboard and slightly figured maple headstock veneer.

Bridge is 7-string black tuneomatic bought from Rockinger, string-thru body.

Gotoh machineheads.

Nitro lacquer.

Here is a body photo prior to lacquer, after color-staining (red-cherry-black combo)

P1000513.JPG

pozdrav susjed!

Stewmac has much !MUCH! better prices, but there are few articles that I needed so far and Stewmac didn't offer them so I had to order from Rockinger.

Regarding the shipping time, Stewmac's packages come to my hands in 10-15 days max from US, and it takes about the same to recieve one from Germany.

It often takes more time for our local post to find it's way here than to recieve a package from other side of the Earth.

You can easilly compare prices for yourself, for example Schaller floyd (50€ cheaper in SM) or tuning machines, slotted rosewood guitar fingerboards (18€ cheaper), whatever...

I hope it helps...

Thanks for your comments!

A small update on 7string today:

Started profiling neck, hammered the frets in and started dressing fret ends...

Still got some sanding to do, and have to redo neck heel because I've got a little carried away and now the neck pocket is a bit larger than neck heel. Repairable with a little veneering and resculpting. Have to be more careful next time.

P1000614.JPG

P1000617.JPG

P1000626.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a small update on the 7string...

the whole guitar is getting last coats of lacquer, i drilled holes for neck ferrules, and done a logo-plate on the back of the body, got the idea from blackmachine again, but done slightly different. I routed a small recess in the body, glued the plate with a decal in, and then soaked it all in the lacquer.

Here are a few pics untill i wetsand and polish the guitar.

P1000634.JPG

P1000642.JPG

P1000643.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Another project started few days ago, again highly inspired by Ibanez and Blackmachine guitars, but still slightly altered.

Specs so far (don't have all the parts yet):

Ash body with flamed maple top, maple neck (with probably rosewood fingerboard), original floyd rose (chrome).

Pictures to follow...

Ash body (2 piece) rough cut

P1000646.JPG

Flamed maple top joined and with marked centerline

P1000647.JPG

Top rough cut to have better access for clamps

P1000648.JPG

Routed for FloydRose and bridge humbucker

P1000685.JPG

Rear trem cavity and rear bevel routed

P1000686.JPG

Truss-rod access routed, Floyd and humbucker testfit (with and without pickup ring). Btw, trem is obviously used before, I need to paint the fine tuners black again.

P1000694.JPG

P1000693.JPG

That's it so far, I hope to get the rest of the routing done before weekend, so I can start staining the body and continue to work on other projects.

Edited by Neven

on the blackmachines it is a cavity cover for the wiring to the end pin output jack

Yes Wez I know, but still thanks for the insight. I used regular flushmount jack inside electronics cavity, so there was no need to do this multi-purpose way. I LOVE his idea, and it sure helped me with "where to put the logo?" issue, because it was too big to put it on the headstock. The guitar will probably (and hopefully) never be for sale, but I still like to sign my workpiece, as everybody else, so the logo is a must.

A quick update on 6string project, in case anyone's interested...

Did a second try on body staining, not quite happy yet, but I'm getting closer. I'll redo it first chance I got.

In the meantime, I did a little work on the neck: installed a martin-syle truss rod, glued and trimmed the rosewood fingerboard, installed side-dots.

I veneered and stained the headstock, but with stain on it doesn't look any special, so I'll redo it with a nicer flamed maple veneer.

I also stained the body cavities darker. The sides and the back of the body are not finished yet, and also the binding is not scraped clean fully.

Cut to the point...

P1000705.JPG

P1000709.JPG

P1000708.JPG

P1000707.JPG

Here's update...

I decided against the color-scheme I was trying to achieve, because I was not satisfied even after 5-6 retries.

This time I mixed a dark wine color and did the black grain accenting before spraying.

I am pretty happy with the result because I managed to achieve a dark color but still have the grain and the figuring very visible.

The photos don't show the exact color well (it is darker in person) beacuse I took them after midnight in a room with a flash. I'll try to shoot some daylight photos next time.

Few short notices - the binding is scraped only on the front of the guitar, the sides are not cleaned yet. I also put the 12 fret inlay in and replaced the headstock veneer with a more figured one.

P1000711.JPG

P1000717.JPG

P1000722.JPG

P1000710.JPG