Any Interest In An Es335 Style Build Thread ?

Hi guys,

Have not posted much lately, but I have been busy with a major-repair/rebuild project.

Back in January I was exploring rebuilding options for a destroyed Gibson ES335 I had, of which basically all that could be rescued was the neck and the hardware. The idea at the time was that of a hollowed out back with a carved top, or something along those lines, simply because I though it would not be possible to rebuild the real thing at the amateur builder level.

Eventually, I came across a source for the laminated plates and all the other wooden bits and pieces made like the "real" ones of the late 50s, and instead of building something else I could rebuild it like a proper ES335. Actually closer to the old specs than the original. Essentially, I had the chance to bring the guitar back from the dead.

I am extremely happy with the outcome, this is "The Phoenix":

th_IMG_166.jpgth_IMG_167.jpg

So happy, that I decided to build another one just for my personal amusement: A 59-ish ES355.

Now, this is going to be a build more along the lines of a replica, I'll be doing things in certain ways simply because that's how they were done in the late 50s Kalamazoo factory. Some of those things could be frowned-upon in this forum, like non-scarfed 17deg tilt-back headstocks or neck bindings with nibs... I reckon that this is a bit of a step backwards in terms of creativity and all, but I take it mostly as an educational exercise. And I end up with a guitar I wanted to own as a bonus !

I can't remember seeing any replica style build threads in this forum, but the ES3xx Gibsons are interesting beasts in their own right, will there be any interest in one such build thread ?

All in all, it'll be just a plywood guitar build... But some people love the 335s just for what they are. I know I do.

+1. +1, very much +1! :D

Hey Luis, are you the same Blackdog over at MLP? I thought it might be you due to the build thread going on over there.

Hola José Luis,

Yes, it is me. There can only be one Blackdog... :D

That thread was a bit of a post-factum build thread... I have to admit that I only started it when I was pretty sure that I could pull it through... And the outcome is the guitar in the pictures I posted above.

I didn't post here in the first place because I didn't have the impression that this kind of builds were much appreciated over here, while there are plenty of replica builds over there (OK, mostly LPs anyway...)

But I might have been wrong, after all...

yeah, we all hate classic guitars design here... take your 335 and leave! right now!!!

tbh i have lusted after a 58 ES335DC in natural for a long time.... so can you get rid of that neck binding please... i am not one of these 59 kids!!! glad to see you have the long plate though

more pics please :D

yeah, we all hate classic guitars design here... take your 335 and leave! right now!!!

tbh i have lusted after a 58 ES335DC in natural for a long time.... so can you get rid of that neck binding please... i am not one of these 59 kids!!! glad to see you have the long plate though

more pics please :D

Hi WezV. Maybe I was talking for myself... Three years ago, when my son wanted a Les Paul, I told him that I was in no way going to build a replica... Now I am building a LP replica too...

So you like them binding-less ? Have you seen this thread ?

The guy is incredible, he doesn't just make replicas, he clones every single detail down to the impossible.

I am going to go a much humbler route, I want to build just what a good reissue should be.

Just a few more pictures of my rebuilt blonde as you requested (I still need to get my wife to take the "good" pictures, but no decent light around here these days):

th_IMG_ES335_TDN4.jpgth_IMG_ES335_TDN3.jpgth_IMG_171.jpgth_IMG_170.jpgth_IMG_168.jpgth_IMG_163.jpg

its a different game, doing replica's... but i dont really have a problem with it. my view is if gibson could do a proper re-issue there would be no need for such replica's, but its simply not something they can do well enough without charging massive amounts

the logo issue is a tricky one. i am ok with it as long as somewhere there is something that reveals the true origins of the guitar, a note in a cavity or something like that. obviously its not an issue on yours as its technically a rebuild (we do need progress shots you know :D )

the logo issue is a tricky one. i am ok with it as long as somewhere there is something that reveals the true origins of the guitar, a note in a cavity or something like that. obviously its not an issue on yours as its technically a rebuild

As I kept the logo on the face of the headstock (obviously the original one) and the serial number on the back, I resolved the issue in two ways: The orange label under the f-hole is kind of a replica of a 50s label with the modern serial number and a legend at the bottom saying "by Blackdog Custom Guitars, Leiderdorp" instead of "Nashville Tenesse"... There's also an additional label under the bridge pickup (under the lacquer), clearly specifying that I built the body and Gibson built the neck. Still, it is just my own guitar and I do not think I will ever sell it.

The new one will not have the Gibson label but something of my own.

(we do need progress shots you know :D )

You mean like these ? :D (there's many more where these came from... B) )

th_IMG_028.jpgth_IMG_050.jpgth_IMG_057.jpgth_IMG_058_Top_Assy.jpgth_IMG_078.jpg

And if I do the build thread you'll have plenty more !!

No, six! I love archtop builds, or in your case re-builds!

Welcome. It is going to be a "from scratch" build. I have already started the thread for the concurrent build of the 355 and a LP, though it's mostly about the LP so far... But the body kit will be with me by the end of this week, so we'll get there.

No, make it 7.

Although my dog is here aswell, so maby its 8?

Usual thing round here I rekon. Not many gona chime in unless there is a potential problem to make you aware of.

Lookin good, not many have the nuts to go messin with an archtop :D

Hi there !

So you think that in this case "no news" is "best news"...

Then it means that I've been doing great for the last couple of builds !! :D

I was a bit intimidated at first with the rebuilt, a couple of times I asked myself why I didn't buy the already assembled body, stick the neck in and call it a day..

But after actually doing it I was enthusiastic enough to plan for another build like this...

A few months ago, during a visit to NY, I went to the Met exhibition on D'Angelicos, D'Aquistos and Monteleones and was completely hooked !!

Next in my build list are "real" ARCHTOPS.

Anyway, you (and your dog) are welcome to post and ask at anytime !!

Everybody (and their respective dogs) are by the way.

Thanks for chiming in.

I haven't built a guitar yet, but I am going to build a "real" archtop as soon as I can. I've been reading Benedetto's book and DVDs and I think that it is totally do-able, even for someone inexperienced, if I just take my time and think it through. I actually drew up some plans today using the cutaway side of a Gretsch archtop that I have. I'm going for a double cutaway, but I ran into a wall with drawing the plans; as I was going to mark the 17th fret neck join, I realized that my Gretsch had a 25.5" scale and I plan on building a 25", so that is where I left off for the day :D

So what is the body depth on the 335?

Edited by idmicheal

I haven't built a guitar yet, but I am going to build a "real" archtop as soon as I can. I've been reading Benedetto's book and DVDs and I think that it is totally do-able, even for someone inexperienced, if I just take my time and think it through. I actually drew up some plans today using the cutaway side of a Gretsch archtop that I have. I'm going for a double cutaway, but I ran into a wall with drawing the plans; as I was going to mark the 17th fret neck join, I realized that my Gretsch had a 25.5" scale and I plan on building a 25", so that is where I left off for the day :D

So what is the body depth on the 335?

Yes, Benedetto makes it look very do-able. When time comes I plan to follow most of his teachings.

It's a good thing to draw plans 1:1 for everything. For the current builds spent a good few hours to draw the plans for the necks, reconstructing the knowledge available in the net...

From the plans I make the templates, and that works very well.

According to specs the width of the 335s at the sides is 1 3/4" (44.4mm), but the truth is that the originals were all over the place. There was a good deal of manual work in building these back in the day. The assembly of the centerblock and sides, and the contoured bracing to the top and back plates could only be done manually. This produced a lot of variation in the dimensions of the assembled guitars.

Very educational! Before my focus changed a while back, I was planning to build three Red Specials. One was a faithful copy, one an "evolved" version with modern features reflecting the changes of almost 50yrs of guitar evolution and one a "devolved" version harkening back to features of instruments in the day and before. An archtop design would fit the bill nicely, so this is a fantastic inspiration and good mind food.

Now open your Photobucket to public so we can see the folder contents! :D