Flame Box Elder Singlecut Bass

Hi guys, I've not been around here for a few months, just thought I'd post some pics of one of the builds I've been working on...

This will be the first singlecut bass I've built, the shape is basically a singlecut version of the design I used for the 5 string fretless (and the 6 string Redwood bass I built last year). The spec is as follows...

34" scale, fretless

Flame Box Elder top

African Mahogany body

Bolt-On neck, Maple

Ebony fretboard (with fretlines)

Hipshot hardware (black)

Custom made Häussel Bassbar pickup (bridge) & Häussel Jazzbucker (neck)

Flame Box Elder top:

IMG_7801-1.jpg

African Mahogany body blank (2 piece):

IMG_9486.jpg

Body cut and sanded to shape (the top has been wiped over with a damp cloth to raise the grain)

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

Carving the rear contour:

IMG_3841.jpg

Control cavity routed:

IMG_4338.jpg

Pickups marked out, ready for routing:

IMG_4357.jpg

I have seen those colors in box elder, but don't have a clue as to how well they hold up after finishing. Have you used this before Simo? Will you be able to keep those great colors?

....and one last question for now....

How did that awesome claro walnut topped best come out?

SR

I have seen those colors in box elder, but don't have a clue as to how well they hold up after finishing. Have you used this before Simo? Will you be able to keep those great colors?

I've not used Box Elder before but I understand from what I've read that the colour will fade over time in exposure to sunlight. I've not decided on a finish yet but it will be something that contains uv inhibitors to help preserve the colour.

The fretboard blank has arrived this week.. the fretlines will be a pink/red colour to match the top, so I've gone for a plain Ebony board to help those stand out. I've also taken an off-cut from the body, bookmatched it and planed it down to use as a headstock veneer.

IMG_4380.jpg

IMG_4436.jpg

• 1 month later...