Alembic Bass On The 'bay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1978-Alembic-Walter-Johnson4-string-Bass-OHSC-/260836983356?_trksid=p4340.m8&_trkparms=algo%3DMW%26its%3DC%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D6%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2263321799396627533#ht_1087wt_1139

Hmmm. I have a nagging feeling in my head which says "left in the case, in the car during a hot day". :D

Repairable of course, but a hell of a bad thing to happen to such an expensive bass.

as much as the parts look like an Alembic, why not drop an email to them and see if it is in fact one of theirs..... it looks rode hard and put away wet, and a poor refinish has been done at some point.... as far as the misplaced side markers, i wonder if it is the original fretboard..... since it has lifted, this brings to mind that it is not the original one as their work is usually above par

the logo, bridge and controls look right.... as well does the back control cover which has the screwdriver holes cut in to change the preamp without opening it up

I'm not bothered about buying it or anything. Just an interesting item I came by. I hear you on the potentially-replaced board. The fretwork looks surprisingly uneven at the tangs. I've little-to-no direct experience with Alembics (or Arembics) so I can't say one way or another. Thought it might be good fuel for debate however. I think that without a doubt it is an original Alembic. I find it surprising that a manufacturer with such a lofty and "legendary" rep as Alembic would drop the ball on simple appointments like fret markers. Case for the board not being original is definitely there.

The thing that bothers me is that the guy is trying to claim it is "missing binding"...it needs a complete fretboard reworking,at minimum,but I think it really needs a completely new board,as that one appears to be splitting.And of course there is no fret buzz with the action 3/8" from the frets.

The price is too high already for such a thing,IMO