Countoured Neck Heel/joint On A Lp-style

I'm planning your basic single-cut LP-style guitar. It's not a clone, but pretty standard specs relative to that style of guitar. However, I'm looking at having a contoured/blended heel. I don't really shred, just melodies that sometimes get me high up the neck.

Basically, wondering three things:

1) Tenon: Should I plan on doing the tenon to be full-width so it matches the width of the fretboard all the way through? This being so any contouring of the neck joint would not break through to the tenon. Any pro's/con's of traditional tenon vs. full-width?

2) Neck joint: Any thoughts on how much is actually required to cut away to give nice upper fret access without compromising strength of the joint, or (without getting too voodoo about it) how it might effect the tone, if at all?

3) Design: Any templates, designs, or general how-to advice out there I should consider?

FWIW, here are the basic styles I think look the nicest a/o most useful:

This one is apparently a Feline guitar neck heel and seems functional without being too extreme.

lpneckjoin.jpg

Here is one from a Myka guitar. It looks about the sexiest I've seen, although I am not sure I would ever get my thumb down far enough to sit on the back of the body itself. Still, it looks very slick and ergonomic.

63.jpg

-Cheers

Maybe one fairly specific question. If I just round the treble-side of the pocket ala. the aforementioned designs like an Axcess, Myka, or Feline neck joint, should i reinforce the neck with carbon fiber? If so, where, just the area directly in & above the joint? I'm guessing doing it the whole neck would be overkill and change the overall sound of things.

-Cheers

both those guitars have full width tenons specifically to let the contouring look good. if you want a contoured heel then use a full width tenon (or neck through :D )

full width tenons do sound a bit different to traditional tenons to my ears - and its a very good difference, generally things seem livelier. i suspect this may be partly because its easier to fit a full width tenon well

no need for extra support like cf bars - unless you want to use them anyway

just think about how far the fretboard/neck tenon is going into the body on the front. the further the fretboard/neck join goes into the body - the more you can contour.

I would generally want at least 3" of neck pocket left on the bass side and no less than 1" on the treble.... but if you are doing a full length tenon that goes most of the way through the neck pocket you should easily have more than this.

also consider the depth of your neck join as this allows you to increase the glueing surface without going further into the body and it helps with the carving... make the tenon about 2/3 - 3/4 of the body depth

IMG_1328.jpg

This one has a full width long tenon that is sandwiched under the top and reaches to the bridge. You can contour as deep as you like when done that way.

SR

What is the best way to plan that sort of a contour out? Not to be dense, but are there templates or tutorials for that? My apologies in advance if they exist and I've missed them. I have my template made, but it just has the normal squared neck heel (for now).

-Cheers

I'm not aware of any tutorial, but here is a link to the thread to that build: http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=44623

In short, draw out your body shape without a tongue or hump to accept the neck heel. Route your neck pocket and set the neck when you are at that stage of the build. Then blend the heel into your neck carve and the body. Once you get it shaped fairly close to what you think is good, grip it like you're playing the highest fret and test the feel. Any place it streches your hand or presses more than other areas, carve a little more away. Use a rasp and course sandpaper wrapped around a dowel to blend it from the body shape to the neck carve. When it feels comfortable and looks good, start your finish sanding. Mine has a healthy scoop carved into the cutaway on the front side as well the bevel on the back. They both add to comfort and ease of access and are blended into the neck - body join.

SR