Project S907_express

then I realized that using a sanding block with 400 removed the chatter marks from the file. And 120 grit sanding block rounded the fretboard edge and the ends of the frets at the same time. Follow up with a 180 or 220 then polish with a 320 sanding pad and I get done in 5 minutes what use to take hours.

i do the exact same thing except I use 320 sandpaper to remove the file marks and my sanding sponges say "Fine" and "super fine" instead of actually having a grit.I think it's the only way to go because it works beautifully and takes almost no time

I level my fretboards so much better these days before fretting that dress jobs take less time.

I could never stress this more to anybody building a neck. All the time spent making sure the fingerboard is perfect before even considering putting frets into it shows in the quality of the fretwork. The last board I did (my BnG bass) ended up with only three frets that needed any attention, and that was just a little seating since I hammer my frets.

This quote must be stamped in red ink and emblazoned across the skies! All hail.

• Like 1

Level Fretboards 101:

Put base radius on fretboard with huge beltsander

The next step is a feel thing so YMMV.

Tweak the trussrod back and forth a bit then give it a 1/16 of a turn until it just tightens up. The frets will cause backbow so by tightening the rod just a bit I simulate a little backbow. The leveling sands the bow out... this helps the fretboard be level after fretting. Once the frets have sat for a week under tension the barbs on the tangs will be fully seated in the slots and the neck should be perfect. With a very very very small amount of tension on the rod.

Tune up the radius with a large Stew Mac Radius sanding beam and 120 grit.

Check Slot depth

Run fretsaw through all the frets and set depth.

Clean slots

Vacuum up the dust

Tune up the radius with a large Stew Mac Radius sanding beam and 120 grit again.

Level the board with large Stew Mac sanding beam and 120 grit.

Vacuum up the dust

Check the board using precision straight edge (from Enco) following the path of the strings across the board.

Rinse Repeat

Use small triangle file to campher all fret slots.

Check the board using precision straight edge (from Enco) following the path of the strings across the board.

Once no light shows use 220,320,400 grit sanding blocks to clean up board.

Once no light shows polish board with polishing pad.... Vacuum up the dust

Fret board.

• Like 4

Some of you guys like my blades.

Good news. Thanks to Wes I will be producing blades in full force for the foreseeable future. This should include 6, 7, 8 string Humbuckers and 6, 7 string single coils.

Send all thank yous to westhemann.

So without further ado....

Multiscale blade humbuckers.

P7130117.jpg

P7130118.jpg

P7130119.jpg

P7130120.jpg

With this design there is no metal not involved in the magnetic circuit. Personally I think it makes a superior pickup with no crazy eddy currents.

I finished up the baseplates in abs to match the bobbins. Also moved the blades a hair closer so .492 wide magnets work.

Hilarious but the mutliscale bridge and neck bobbins are almost identical to the 7 string and the 6 string bridge bobbins respectively....

You should be taking this further. You could do this a magnitude greater and I am sure you will. Hot bridge position Jazz pup please. :-)

Now that the code is done it shouldn't really be an issue. Of course the Robo RAD broke again... but when it is fixed we will resume production of things and stuff.