Diy P-ups (s-coil And Humbuckers)

ksengage

Hi there I'm from the Philippines trying to make a home made pick-up for my own and maybe for a business if it will turn out great. I have some questions that I hope you guys could answer.

1. Is there a difference with Neck, Mid, and bridge p-ups?

2. If I'm going to make a humbucker should it be that both bobbins have the same rounds of wire spins in it? And if They're not what could be the result of it?

3. Is there a big difference with ceramic and alnico?

4. And lastly, what is the difference with alnico 2 and alnico 5? why were they branded with numbers? and what magnet would produce a much better sound?

Thanks so much! and Keep on rockin'

Hi there I'm from the Philippines trying to make a home made pick-up for my own and maybe for a business if it will turn out great. I have some questions that I hope you guys could answer.

2. If I'm going to make a humbucker should it be that both bobbins have the same rounds of wire spins in it? And if They're not what could be the result of it?

4. And lastly, what is the difference with alnico 2 and alnico 5? why were they branded with numbers? and what magnet would produce a much better sound?

Thanks so much! and Keep on rockin'

There are people here who know a lot more than I do but as no one has responded so far I will do my best. First there are books available on the subject.

In most guitars (but not all) the bridge pickup is wound to have more resistance than the neck or middle. In the classic strat set up the middle pup is wound in reverse of the other two (out of phase).

Most HB pups have both coils wound the same but some highly regarded ones have different windings. The difference usually fairly small. The one I have has 7.5 ohm on one coil and 6.5 on the other. These are called unbalanced or UB and you loose a bit of the humbucking ability.

The kind of magnet makes a difference. Exactly what that difference is has been endlessly debated. Not wanting to start a new debate I will say that many people say the alinco based pups have a mellower sound while ceramics get more definition.

I'm not trying to be mean, but you do sound like you could use some pushing in the right direction. Based on your questions you have a LOT to learn before thinking about a company. I'd suggest getting comfortable here, and reading everything you can: http://music-electronics-forum.com/f11/

The questions you asked are fairly basic, and there's a LOT more under the covers when you get into it :D

Chris

I'm not trying to be mean, but you do sound like you could use some pushing in the right direction. Based on your questions you have a LOT to learn before thinking about a company. I'd suggest getting comfortable here, and reading everything you can: http://music-electronics-forum.com/f11/

The questions you asked are fairly basic, and there's a LOT more under the covers when you get into it :D

Chris

Be nice Chris, The WORLD is watching you! :D

+1

Yes, usually, but not nessesary. As mentioned before most modern “matched” pickup sets have a “hotter” bridge pickup. The reason behind this is that the movement of the strings (the amplitude) are bigger in the neck position compared to the bridge and the electrical output of the pickups if they where made identical would be higher from the neck pickup. The other reason for making a neck pickup with less windings are that this by itself is changing the tonality of the pickup, thus also matching the tone of the pickus closer to each other (not just output). On the other hand SRVs famous no1 allegedly had the hottest pickup in the neck position…

With perfectly matched bobbins you will get one sound. With an offset between them you will get another sound. Me, I like slightly offset pickups in the bridge position and more offset pickups in the neck position. I feel taht it opens up the sound and makes it "airy". Some like the pickups to have as closely matched coils as possible. You can have an offset in the 10-15% range without loosing too much of the hum canceling effect

The most recognized difference between alnico and ceramics are in magnet strength. Magnets used for guitar pickups (and other applications too…) are graded in simple numbers Alnico 5 are stronger than Alnico 2. Ceramic magnets are usually graded C8. The most significant difference is that a stronger magnet makes the pickup produce more current (higher output/hotter). But that is not the only difference. The real trick is to figure out how each grade and each material affect the sound and how you can use that knowledge to tailor a pickup to a specific sound. Learn to explore what difference an Alnico 2 magnet make to a pickup with Alnico 5 magnets. Then try a ceramic, or Alnico3, 4, 6 or 8 magnet. When you have got a basic understanding of those differences it is time for us to discuss the subtle differences between different pickup wires, different winding techniques, different screw, slugs, keeper bars, base plates and covers. And maybe discuss if a pickup sound different with plain ole ABS for bobbins or using the legendary historic correct butyrate for bobbins…