Wood From Lowes And Other Stores Like That

Saw a member posting up pictures of a "lowes find" he had with some flamed maple. Well I was inspired and bored, so I took a look around my local lowes' to see what they had. Well, I found an absolutely SICK peice of flamed maple for 1.83$/foot. Got 8 feet of it. Ill be using it as a dye tester for sure. Ill post a picture tonight after I do some grain enhancing.

Bottom line, I've seen pieces of wood like this sell on ebay for 30-40$, so it may be prudent for some of you guys to check it out!

(They also have other great woods available, saw some figured oak of all things....)

Broke my camera like 2 weeks ago, so I haven't been doing much picture taking...

Anyway, got myself a new one today, so Im pleased to bring this to you. This is a crap, rush job just to show you guys what it is. The WHOLE friggen' piece of board is this flamed, all the way down. It's gonna be a great scrap for projects, or perhaps a fret board in the future. It's not AAAAAAAAA quality or anything, but its still REALLY cool, and will certainly fit the bill for a lot of people, especially for the (low) cost.

As well all know, pictures don't grasp the true nature of flame tops, lets just say it looks even better in person...

dscn0008fl.jpg

People that buy wood there aren't looking for figure. They'll pass it over without a second thought. Unfortunately, they don't sell Maple at any of the stores near me.

For sure. This was the 2nd piece back, Im sure I can find even better stuff there if I kept diggin!

Broke my camera like 2 weeks ago, so I haven't been doing much picture taking...

Anyway, got myself a new one today, so Im pleased to bring this to you. This is a crap, rush job just to show you guys what it is. The WHOLE friggen' piece of board is this flamed, all the way down. It's gonna be a great scrap for projects, or perhaps a fret board in the future. It's not AAAAAAAAA quality or anything, but its still REALLY cool, and will certainly fit the bill for a lot of people, especially for the (low) cost.

As well all know, pictures don't grasp the true nature of flame tops, lets just say it looks even better in person...

dscn0008fl.jpg

Too bad, maple in it's natural color is quite nice. Making it that dark is like trying to MAKE BLACK WALNUT WHITE. I do hope you plan to sand that back and add color? Sorry for my negative reaction, I'm in a pi$$y mood and have not had my meds. :D

Just kidding, nice find. :DB)

dscn0008fl.jpg

Too bad, maple in it's natural color is quite nice. Making it that dark is like trying to MAKE BLACK WALNUT WHITE. I do hope you plan to sand that back and add color? Sorry for my negative reaction, I'm in a pi$$y mood and have not had my meds. B)

Just kidding, nice find. :D:)

O.o lmao I was getting ready with this long winded response about grain enhancement, and what that means... blah blah blah. If I took the time to do it, it would come out great! :D

Yup. If north enough you get maple in them. It's perfectly fine, usual kilned, maple. Friend is using some of the plain for a carved top that's getting solid color. I have also seen some great flame there. Sadly, my HD only goes up to 6" wide :D

There's even something there for acoustic luthiers! Depending on your area, the spruce you get in for 2x4s can be adi or white. Both are amazing bracewood. I haven't had time to pile search, but I know folks that have 10' 2x4s that are quartered, knot free, etc. Lol, cheapest Adi bracewood I've ever heard of!

Chris

The lumber from the big box stores is always hit or miss. I've seen some nice figured pieces, but they were twisted pretty bad. I've used oak from Lowe's for a shelf and within a few hours after cutting it it was twisting already. Their stuff is kiln dried, but not always completely, or dried correctly. Some is dried correctly, some is still too moist and moves when you cut it, some is case hardened, so it's always a crap shoot.

I agree. Just like anywhere you should pick for quality and stability first and aesthetics secondy. Kiln dried in my mind still doesn't mean 'use now.' I still let kiln dried stuff acclimate to my shop. And if resawn, it gets another sit before use.

Chris

Makes sense. I am mainly interested in it for veneer or top making, not necessarily for structural uses :D

My Lowes/HD does indeed have spruce, but it also has cedar, oak, redwood, "Whitewood"(any one know what white wood is?), and a crap ton of poplar.

From my research some time ago, I think I remember the consensus being that "Whitewood" generally refers to whatever spruce, pine, or fir they don't really care to sort out. It can be anything, so long as it's white and it's wood.

I agree. Just like anywhere you should pick for quality and stability first and aesthetics secondy. Kiln dried in my mind still doesn't mean 'use now.' I still let kiln dried stuff acclimate to my shop. And if resawn, it gets another sit before use.

Chris

My guess on why kiln dried wood often warps is that the kiln may take it down to 9% moisture content, but once it gets to your shop, the moisture content will raise significantly. So you want it to stabilize first, and then you can use it.

Saw a member posting up pictures of a "lowes find" he had with some flamed maple. Well I was inspired and bored, so I took a look around my local lowes' to see what they had. Well, I found an absolutely SICK peice of flamed maple for 1.83$/foot. Got 8 feet of it. Ill be using it as a dye tester for sure. Ill post a picture tonight after I do some grain enhancing.

Bottom line, I've seen pieces of wood like this sell on ebay for 30-40$, so it may be prudent for some of you guys to check it out!

(They also have other great woods available, saw some figured oak of all things....)

I think you'll find that most of the stuff you see on ebay for that price was bought at a local lumber yard by someone with enough free time to sit in the parking lot and wait for the trucks to drop it off. In my area I call them Warf Rats. I've been to the local hardwood shops literally 2 hours after delivery and the pallets are already picked over. Count yourself lucky that none of these d'bags are vulturing your Lowes.