Build #3 - Sy6 Superstrat

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Guitar2005. I've already beaten you to it - I filled it with clear epoxy not long after that photo was taken. For better or worse it's been immortalised forevermore on the treble-side of the fretboard. Consider it character-adding... :D

The sheoak fretboard is weird when it's been coated. From some angles the flame pattern disappears completely. Tilt the neck another way and the pattern jumps straight out.

Progress has slowed a bit recently. Still waiting on an order to come in for an Ibex finger plane and some cabinet scrapers and so I can start carving the blackwood top. I could do it with the flapdisk on the grinder like I did for the SY7, but I'm a little cautious it creating mountains of blackwood sawdust (known sensitiser), and I wanted to try a different technique this time round.

• 2 weeks later...

Decided I couldn't continue to wait for this Ibex plane to turn up and carried on with the tools I have at hand. I'm doing the carve with a long Sureform and a curved-sole spokeshave. Possibly not the most ideal tools to be using but they seem to be working pretty well on the larger curves around the bridge-end of the body.

Carve depth routed out and control recesses added:

077.jpg

Carve starting to take shape:

078.jpg

079.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thankee very muchly, chaps.

Started applying the finish to the body today. Getting a good idea what the final outcome will look like now, even though the photos don't really do it justice. My camera isn't too crash hot, and the lighting in the shed is all fluoro-tubes. The actual colour is somewhere in between these two shots. The brown in the first shot is about right (camera flash on), but there's more golden "flares" going on in the flame pattern which comes out better in the second (no camera flash):

085.jpg

086.jpg

• Like 1

Fantastic. I might have to get my hands on some Aus Blackwood as a substitute for Koa one day. I've always wanted a Koa tele but the availability of good Koa is through the floor these days. The surprise you describe is something I look forward to also....the woodyard we scoped out last week has a big store of Masur Birch in which I could perceive a lot of very wild tight quilt (probably not the right term for the figure, but hey) so seeing how that would emerge in a finished piece is quite exciting. Scott pointed out about your curlies (har) and I only just took a second look at them....did the Blackwood show much tendency to tear out? Obviously you didn't have too much of a problem.

The router got a bit hungry at the deepest part of the treble cutaway, but nothing that couldn't be fixed with some minor reshaping with the spindle sander.

The tools I used for carving probably weren't the most ideal (primarily used a curved-sole spokeshave for the bigger areas, half-round rasps and spindle sanders in the cordless drill for the rest), but provided I kept the blades nice and sharp it generally gave me no real trouble. You can just see in those photos further up the page some blade-chatter marks around the control recesses - that was about as bad as it got. Generally whenever the spokeshave started making ridges in the wood I found I could get around it by changing my cutting direction, or rotating the spokeshave so I was cutting diagonally while drawing across the curve.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks chaps.

Why is it that the tiniest last few things always take the longest to finish?

The guitar is done now, just waiting on a Graphic Designer friend of mine to help me with some decent photographs of the finished instrument. Pics to follow (hopefully) soon.

• 2 weeks later...