best fingerboard wood for a 7 string guitar?

StreamLine

what's the best fingerboard wood for a 7 string guitar, that will be used for shredding, death metal and jazz?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i need advise on which fingerboard wood to use on my 7 string project......

i want a balanced tone that can work nicely on clean jazz, and heavily overdriven amps for much heavier stuff, but i want all lower strings to be punchy, i dont want masses of low end thats typical to many cheap 7's....

tone i'm looking for is think of the 'tightness' of low strings in Steve Vai's tone, but so that it can be used on thrash metal riffing too......

visual appearance is a bonus too......

thanks,

Roman

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well..... personally i've played only a couple. but cocobolo man... that stuff is amazing. as for the combination of tones, you should put it into a 3 pickup situation. like in LTD's where you have 2 humbuckers and one single coil. especially with jazz. For DEATH metal you're looking at like an EMG, for shredding you're looking for a range of tones of heavy to rock for the middle pickup. Then for the neck you have to have a light and airy pickup like a tele neck pickup, really bright for jazz.

Personally i think you're looking at an EMG active pickup for your bridge, then you're looking at like a Gibson 57' Classic for your middle then you're looking at a tele style neck pickup. Key is brightness. and make sure that you Coil split both the humbuckers. so that you can have everything in between sounds. trust me that single coil will blend well with the 57 classic. 57 has quite a sick jazz sound, to blues sound...etc. even rock sound. i like the holy grail strat pickups too. check them out. trust me its all about the pickups for the electric stuff. and the key is not to have any feedback especially in the bridge position. the fingerboard does have some distinction in the jazz sound but for the metal stuff, and heavy rock it reallllly doesnt have ALL that much to do with that. The body woods, neck woods, neck construction, and how the joint of the neck to the body..... thats the most important and that the pickup selection is a good and the construction is the best for your playing style.

Purple heart is excellent for jazz and metal because it really does have big thunky bottom end to give lots of mass to your chords, i play detuned down to C on my purple heart fingerbaord with emg's and i absolutely love it!!!!!! but the neck pickup (emg85) can get a little TOO thick at times.... i'd say a purple heart & ebony finbergoard would be something for you to consider, maybe a bit of peu ferro in there too.... like PH/EB/PF/EB/PH but that would be quite an expensive and time consuming fingerboard...

hmm interesting.....

i'm not particularly fond of EMG's however..... i do agree they have masses of low end and crunch but they are a little sterile for me, plus i am not prepared to try to mix actives and passives, i got enough to sort out as it is! lol

at the moment i was thinking H-S-H, (all dimarzio) PAF-7 at neck, blaze-7 single mid, and either Evolution7, tonezone 7 or blaze7 custom at bridge......

other wood wise, i'm pretty much decided on a 5 piece maple/wenge neckthru, with alder wings, so which fingerboard would compliment that?

also what about pickups i've sort of chosen? EMG dont make a 7 string single, SD's range of 7 string p-ups is less than impressive, so it pretty much has to be DiMarzio........

wait.... you're going for a single coil metal guitar?

Dude if price isnt a factor definately go for a 2-2-1 configuration.

If you dont like the price of EMG's and price isnt a factor, I GUESS you could use a Gibson Burstbucker #3 and a 57' Classic in middle followed up by a soul ful single coil in the neck postion. but for death metal........ man emgs are the only way to go.

you can get them custom wound my friend got his bursts custom wound. oh yes...... they are overpriced........ and dude BTW you can't possibly have a unique style at 15.... Once you have about 10-15 years under your belt THEN you have a unique voice. I practice a LOT but i am nowhere near there. and give us like your price cut off so that we can get an idea as to what you can get for your money.

i can see what you're saying with me 15, fair point, but then again my playing is fairly unconventional - find me another guitarist who is into death metal riffing while trying to bring in classical elements and use single coils for some of the melodies?

price range? upto $250 for all 3 pickups; but put it this way, if its good enough to justify spending more, i can save up for a bit longer.

though i really do not find gibson pickups appealing. at all.

i get your point........ my ego can get a bit big at times :D

though kirk hammet = death metal. no way. neither exodus nor metallica did anything beyond thrash.......

anyway, getting back to the topic.....

wait wait wait...forget about the topic for a second.

the only difference between exodus and (good) death metal was the vocals.

listen to deicide sometime...you will see what i mean

exodus was full of riffs that could have been used in death metal

besides i fully believe that exodus was the very first true death metal band....the missing link between thrash and death if you will

i considered Judas Priest's 'Painkiller' to be one of the bridging albums, also Tom Araya's vocs for Slayer had an influence of some sort....... if we're talkign about one of the first death metal bands, it would have to be Morbid Angel.

secondly Deicide, great band that they are, have a lot of thrash influences, which does ominate their sound.......... however that is not necessarily a reflection of the vast majority of the genre

listen to Painkiller.

the drums. recognise the sound of blast beats? granted many bands did that before, but that is pretty much how they sound.

the neo-classical influenced solo.

extreme vocal pitch, granted Halford sung the other way, lol

but it depends which album we consider, stuff like Sad Wings of Destiny is powermetal, however Painkiller isnt....

morbid angel was formed in early 80's you'll find..... so that cannot be much later the deicide......

tom araya's vocal range is pretty big, but if you just listen to slayer's earliest work, its pretty much how you hear many vocalists that dont growl but sort of scream.....

there is more difference to death and thrash then just vocals.

1) you dont get death metal blastbeats in thrash

2) often you get slower stuff, ie still fast riffs, but overal tempo slower, i cant explain it very well, but its the kinda style like in Morbid Angel's 'God of Emptiness'

3) overall sound is more brutal than thrash, not just vocals that give it that edge

4) pinch harmonics are a major technique in DM, yet hardly utilized in thrash riffing

5) 4th chords often used, not 5ths; lots of octave shapes and 'out of key chords'

6) open low string is not used as religiously.....

we are talking about the guitar...detune to g and you will find all of the sudden that your favorite thrash riff sounds death metal.

speed has NOTHING to do with it...just like thrash death metal varies from super slow and chunky to as fast as they can play it.

trust me on this....i have been playing both for YEARS and years and years(13 years i guess)

most death metal is crap played by low talent hacks...but people like trey azagthoth make death metal good.

you will find that of the 2 styles on the whole the better guitarists are in thrash.

all death metal is is immature thrash.