Searls - Bolt On Bitza With A Quilt Top

I dont like doing jobs twice, but sometimes we have to make the call.

If it was a guitar I was building for myself - these flaws would have not stopped me and I'd have kept on going, but this ones to sell.

There was a spot on the headstock I decided I couldn't live with - so the neck is sanded back and to be started the paint stage again - ie: reclear, wait to sure then back to color)

IMG_2852small.jpg

Also wasn't happy with the candy on the body - there was a slight run and same as above, I wouldn't have been able to live with it let alone but my logo on and sell it.

IMG_2850small.jpg

This new clear I'm using sprayed a LOT better with some thinners added (it's not meant to be thinned). When I didn't add thinner it didnt seem to flow right. Also could been effected by our cold weater here at the moment. Today I sprayed with heat lamps, the first time I sprayed it I used no heat being cautious as it was the first time I've used this product.

Anyway - I'm a lot happier with it this time round, but I wont really know till I look at it tomorrow.

IMG_2859small.jpg

No. The clear stays as clear. The color is a candy layer in between the clear.

So I prime with clear. Let it cure. Sand. Spray candy. Then clear and then Cut polish etc.

It adds a 3D depth rather than a 2D look that staining the timber gives.

• Like 1

No. The clear stays as clear. The color is a candy layer in between the clear.

So I prime with clear. Let it cure. Sand. Spray candy. Then clear and then Cut polish etc.

It adds a 3D depth rather than a 2D look that staining the timber gives.

Nice. I have used that technique in the past. (more on cars and motorcycles than guitars)

• 4 weeks later...

Figured it was time to update this one:

Yesterday I sprayed the back black and then a coat of intercoat clear since I was not clearing it that day.

The intercoat clear means I can work on it, tape it up, etc etc knowing the basecoat is covered.

Today I sanded back the edge lines where the sides meet the top and started spraying a custom candy mix I conjured up this morning. It's a mixture of a heap different PPG Candy dyes I had until I got a color I was happy with.

IMG_3123small.jpg

First candy coat:

IMG_3126small.jpg

Second candy coat:

IMG_3127small.jpg

More coats to come but I'm posting as I wait for the last coat to flash off so I can spray more!

I just snapped these pics to see how the clear turned out.

I've done better - but it'll cut/polish up great. I'm still experimenting with this new European Clear I bought. It sprays so much different than the PPG stuff I'm so used to.

I'm really liking the way the color turned out. I'm thinking now I should have saved the left over mix rather than pouring it into my "soup" bottle, as there was enough to paint another guitar!

I'm going to call this blue "Ceylon Blue" as it's the color of a Ceylon Saphire thats in a ring I had made for my other half years ago. Can't wait to get it assembled and take some pics out in the sun.

IMG_3151small.jpg

IMG_3148small.jpg

IMG_3146small.jpg

IMG_3159small.jpg

At the time it looked crap! I had no idea it was going to "pop" this nice. A pleasant surprise.

You get that a lot with quilt if you do it right. I typicaly use AAA at the very most. Anything more than that just has too much going on & looks crap (my opinion).

AAA tends to look like rippels in water & AA looks like clouds (again, opinion, or whatever im smoking)

But that gitir looks groovey man. You should get a few piks in the sunlight to realy see the figuring pop out -_-