Neck-Thru Bass: First Project

Started the body carve.

DSC00882.jpg

I love this scraper. As long as I can keep it sharp it is awesome to work with.

DSC00888.jpg

Carves completed. I added cutouts inside the horns more for aesthetic reasons as I have no problems reaching even beyond the 24th fret.

DSC00894.jpg

The wife snapped this shot of me while I was sanding. I think I need to start working out more and drinking beer less. Sucks to get old.

DSC00895.jpg

Body sanded up to 220 grit. I am going to bring it up to 600 before starting the finish.

DSC00898.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hit a little bit of a slowdown. Humidity has been crazy for the last few weeks here and the guitar started to swell up. I brought it inside for two weeks to allow it to lose moisture and also went on vacation. After returning from vacation I decided I needed a dust free location (or as close as possible) to spray my finish. Aside from containing over spray I also didn't want something to take up a ton of room in my garage so I built this quick and dirty collapsible paint booth.

DSC00944.jpg

Folded up it is just over 5 inches thick. I still have to attach the base and a handle to make it a little more portable but so far it is working out well.

DSC00946.jpg

Finally, I got my first 3 coats of clear on. I went with a rattle can water based poly (minwax). I tested out several different products because I didn't want to amber the wood at all and this is what got me closest to the result I was looking for.

DSC00948.jpg

I draped another sheet of plastic in the front to keep the inside as free of dust as possible but did not take a photo of that. Now I have to leave it alone for 72 hours before I can scuff back and add a few more coats.

I think the spray booth deserves to be acknowledged as a project of itself!

Thanks, but honestly I think I spent more time thinking about how it would work than I did building it. It only took me a few hours and about 30 bucks to put together.

DSC00967.jpg

12 coats applied. Still have another 6 to go before it gets buffed. I am not a patient man so the wait is KILLING me. It sure is getting shiny though. :wOOt

DSC00968.jpg

My camera will not let me shut off the flash so I couldn't capture the reflection as well as I had hoped. Although the color of this shot sucks it is really more representative of the actual gloss. I covered the flash with my finger to take the shot.

DSC00971.jpg

So I started scuffing back on coat 12 and realized that it was smoothing out really well. Barring any defects I am thinking that I am probably good at this point. My micromesh pads are pretty destroyed (used them with water on a restore a few years ago) so I have a new set ordered. I will finish leveling out the finish and decide if I need to spray any more once I have finished that.

Headstock faceplate smoothed to 12000 with my micromesh remnants:

DSC00972.jpg

The spots of light in this photo are the floodlights in the fixtures on the ceiling of my garage.

DSC00973.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Clear coat #18 has been applied to the bass and I have started buffing out the cavity cover. Still some minor scratches to remove but its coming out pretty nicely. 3 more days until I can start buffing out the actual instrument. Finishing has taken much longer than I had expected but I did not want to rush through anything.

DSC00976.jpg

DSC00977.jpg