Beater Strat Scrap Build

Man Mikro that looks cool but it is pretty clean to be a beater build. I think you might want to let the dogs play with it for a while.

I say lower the neck... I hate bridges being too high.

<hijack>

As for mine I threw clear on it yesterday. Looks like Michael J Fox helped Ray Charles paint it... (no harm meant)!

I am doing the stickers on the headstock tonight...

</hijack>

• Like 1

Man Mikro that looks cool but it is pretty clean to be a beater build. I think you might want to let the dogs play with it for a while.

I say lower the neck... I hate bridges being too high.

thanks, maybe I'll put some peanut butter on it and let the Rats chew at it.:) I am going to lower the neck. I just made me a template so i can hand route it. Something I didn't do was put registration holes in the cavites, so once it came off the mill and the tabs cut, no way to reset it.

MK

I didn't do was put registration holes in the cavites, so once it came off the mill and the tabs cut, no way to reset it.

Registration holes?

I know about the tab thing... what I do now is I have a negative template that I can set a body in that holds it. Since my pins are well outside the body it makes it pretty nice for fixing F Ups.

Yep registration holes, usually I will add 2, 1/4" holes about an 0.125 depth in the cavities. They will be along a single axis and at a known distance apart. By using a 1/4" steel rod as a guide pin in the router, I can find zero by jogging to the holes and lowering in Z until they align properly. then clamp it down recheck until dead on. These holes are based off of the xy zero of the original milling. They are fixed distance from 0,0 once that is done, then 0,0 one hole and move the fixed known distance to the orignal 0,0. rezero all axis at that point. Then start new milling ops. I used that method very effectively on the spalted pecan DC both for top and bottom halves. I did not use any tabs on that one.

MK

So other than intonate and final setup it is strung up with a set of 11s and DAMN what a player this is going to be. :) Pickups are great, the sustain is even better than i expected. Whoa baby this one is a winner for sure.

MK

man do I suck playing, haven't had a guitar in my hands in quite awhile. doesn't help when they shake as well. :)

White nitro, Several coats of clear and vintage tinted clear and more clear.... orange peel, maybe a bit of sanding in the morning and one more coat of clear tomorrow.

Neck cleared, decals done, neck clear coat reliced with airbrush, more clear...

Relicing will begin late next week... so much for a beater strat. I now have several hours wrapped up in it.

• 8 months later...

An Update on this I started putting a finish on the Ratocaster today. It was getting grungy with no finish so I sanded it back to clean wood first. Shot some Nitro I tinted red and a few coats of clear. Next will need to be level sanded and then more clear . :)

ratocaster1.jpg