Beater Strat Scrap Build

Well been awhile since I did a build, Thought I would throw together a beater strat from scrap wood and parts. Found a MIM neckon Ebay for $45 shipped. I have sanded off the logos the fretboard needs some work though but it's doable. Most likely will do some head shape changes as well. The body will be from scrap mahogany cabinet offcuts. The hardware will be a hardtail bridge, HH setup with pickguard, 1Vol, 1Tone,3way. Tuners are from GF as well as the PUPs.

So it begins. Hopefully I can get this done in a few weeks or less. If all goes well will plane and glue up tomorrow.

So here is the wood. :)

str1.jpg

str2.jpg

str3.jpg

This whole thing isn't a bad idea at all. A scrap pile build sounds kinda fun. Maybe I have some yellow pine lying around somewhere for a body, or a crapload of ash cutoffs. Hmmmmmmm.......

John, I'm really having fun with this one, no worries about the looks,just functionality at a fraction of the cost. :)

Even with a scrap beater like this, one would still need to put some care and thought into it. You still want it to sound food, so you can't just grab whatever is closest and glue it together. Some would argue that all the lams in the body will do something negative to the tone, but it's still all mahogany, so it'll still sound good. You can't have 15 different species in the body and expect anything positive to happen.

Still, even with only putting an ounce of care into it, I gotta do this sometime.

That would be a cool inlay to try :)

I could do it.

And I f'ing hate you, Mike. I just wanted you to know.

Yes, the body core is in the clamps. I'm going with the body I used for the Cherry Blossom. Coincidentally, that one was walnut as well, so maybe I'll go for a Tele. Or a really cool bolt-on Walnut SG. An SG would really look great in walnut, with a maple fretboard and probably a limba or ash neck.

That would be a cool inlay to try :)

I could do it.

And I f'ing hate you, Mike. I just wanted you to know.

Yes, the body core is in the clamps. I'm going with the body I used for the Cherry Blossom. Coincidentally, that one was walnut as well, so maybe I'll go for a Tele. Or a really cool bolt-on Walnut SG. An SG would really look great in walnut, with a maple fretboard and probably a limba or ash neck.

LMAO!!! I Love you too John. ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This morning I planed down the center block and wings, and glued on one wing. I'll glue on the other tonight.

I'm toying with the idea of trying to have the whole thing finished my Saturday night - start to finish in a week. I have everything on-hand to do it, so there's no reason why it can't be done. The only question would be which pups to use. I have a number of sets to choose from:

P90s

Aretc made Gretsch-style HBs

Marauder set (most likely not using them)

Epiphone HB set

Hamer HB set

I'll be putting a Peavey T-15 wraparound bridge on it. Depending on the pups & controls, I'm considering making a p/g from layers of veneer.

This morning I planed down the center block and wings, and glued on one wing. I'll glue on the other tonight.

I'm toying with the idea of trying to have the whole thing finished my Saturday night - start to finish in a week. I have everything on-hand to do it, so there's no reason why it can't be done. The only question would be which pups to use. I have a number of sets to choose from:

P90s

Aretc made Gretsch-style HBs

Marauder set (most likely not using them)

Epiphone HB set

Hamer HB set

I'll be putting a Peavey T-15 wraparound bridge on it. Depending on the pups & controls, I'm considering making a p/g from layers of veneer.

Sounds good John, mine is basically done. Just waiting on tuners then I'll put the hardware on so I figure all total of build maybe 4 days :) at about 6 hours each average at most.