anyone had sucess with a homemade amp

Snork

Been looking for a while (check the past thread somewhere). You can get solid state stuff from MAJ Electronic, but if it's a valve amp you're after then start saving your money because even the kits are expensive.

I'll keep my eye out for ya when I'm looking into it more and I'll let you know. The amps are going on the back burner for a bit though as my Jason Lollar pick up winding book will be here soon and I want to get the gutar finished before starting on the amp. Might even knock up an effects pedel or two first.

I take it you've had a look at AX81 project and doberman (even though I know you're not keen on them)

SRV, eh? am i being a real pleb?!

There are loads of sites about with schematics, dunno if they'll have exactly what you're looking for. Theres another thread on here somewhere about building you own amp.

Generally:

Building a tube/valve amp is simpler that SS...but more expensive

From what ive seen, you'll find valve schematics easier to find cos the vast majority of amp builders want to build one of those

ax84.com is a great site. The P1 project is such a simple idea and highly reccomended for beginners. The site does have a link where you can go buy a ax84.co project in kit form but they seem way expensive. If you sourced the materials yourslf, maybe it wouldnt be so bad.

like fidge said, Solid State Mosfet amp = cheaper but needs a bit more know how

Valve amp = more expensive generally but after youve got your head round it its a bit easier to build. one thing to bear in mind is that valves need to use mains voltage and so you need to know what ur doing.

like i said in the other thread, im currentlly in the beginings of building an 18V solid state amp for my AS level electronics project so i will put up info on howthats going. i might actually start tonight

also another thing, (more useful for UK guys) if any of you know the rapid electronics distributions company thernyou may be interested to know that they actually sell valves and they have prety much all the stuff you willneed to make a valve amp. i shall be doing more research on this subject soon

as far as i know the difference betwen rapid and maplins is negliagable. since im at school its easier to get rapid stuff since the school orders lots of stuff from them. at home its easiert to go to a maplins store. there are some things rapid doesnt have. stomp box foot switches for one thing, which really dicks me off since im gonna have to go into a maplins store to get some of them and at £4.00 each it would be alot easier to put them on my school bill lol

Cheers Keith.

Brian, when you're better could you pin this thread. If it's at the top of the page then more people like Keith (who actually knows what he's doing) can pop in and add their knowledge instead of it dissaperaing off the bottom of the page. I think that once a few of us have built amps, loads of people might have a go.

Cheers mate :D hope you're feeling better

Thanks for the vote on confidence Hotrock. Guitars were the reason I originally started studying electronics (I wanted amps and effects pedals but couldn't afford them as a teenager) which lead me to software and my current career: Software Engineering

Keith

Yes I am happy with the results.

How easy was it? Well thats probably a matter of opinion. As I said in a previous thread on building amps, they are probably the simplest electronic circuits around. Electronics 101 day one (Well almost it was at the first practicle class) was how to bias transistors and valves(tubes) in a single stage amplifier.

If you have a circuit diagram and a printed circuit layout it is pretty simple. Print and etch the PC board, drill it and place the components. The rest is putting it into a housing which is a mechanical problem. You also need to know a bit about simple power supplies and shielding, grounding etc otherwise you will get an amp with a lot of noise. Especially when you use high impedance devices like tubes and FETs.

The two amps I built recently used the Mini-tubes preamp I mentioned earlier in the thread and the TDA2005 module for a power stage. It cost me roughly around R700 (about $100 (USD)) The electronics components are cheap about $10 worth. It is the mechanical items like the pots , transformer and speakers that make up most of the cost.

Having an audio generator and oscilloscope available for fault finding is also useful. There are some very nice software ones which use a PC sound card.

Goodluck

Keith

Warning! Tube amplifiers use high working voltages, and have large power supply caps that can retain high charges even after being disconnected from the mains supply - if you are as careless with these amps as some of you are with your posting, you could wind up severely injured or DEAD!!

Here are some links to tube amp kit sites:

Torres

Electron Valve

STF Electronics

London Power

DECWare

Make sure you have a guitar amplifier design. Solid state amplifiers are generally designed to accurately reproduce the input signal without any distortion,not what we generally want for guitars except maybe jazz. Guitar amplifiers are biased into what is called the non-linear area. ie what comes out is a distortion of what is put in. Tubes more so than solid state but tubes react differently and sound pleasing.

Much has been written on the tube vs ss issues. Just google around on the web and you will find lots of articles.

As stated above in this thread: You need to work with mains voltage to build amps. Even solid state as you need a decent power supply from the mains to give you between 12 and 100v depending on the design. Tubes of course need about a 350 volt supply!

SO BE CAREFUL. IF YOU ARE NOT SURE OF WHAT YOU ARE DOING FIND SOMEBODY WHO DOES!!!!!

the big thing about tubes that make them sound so good is they have asymetrical distortion. eg if you put in a perfect sine wave then when it comes out through the overdriven tube and the roughs of the wave are more distorted than the peaks. this is very noticable as a nice sound to the human ears, hence why tube amps sound nice.

interestinglly enough, our little friend the fuzz face also has non linear diastortion built into it which again explains a bit into why it sounds like it does