Peters Vixen Semi Hollow: Quilted Redwood With Curly Black Limba

I mentioned in the original post that the tailpiece was a surprise. I have been working on a bigsby style tremolo where the base is made from exotic woods instead of aluminum. I like bigsby's but the look just doesn't really go with my guitars, they are kinda bulky and its just a lot of shinny aluminum on top of the guitar. I'm working on two right now, one is from rosewood, the other from maccasar ebony will go on this guitar. I did a test run with some hard maple and it was plenty strong enough to hold up to the tension so the ebony and rosewood should be fine.

not sure if others will find this as cool as I do, but I'm stoked about it, I'm loving the way this is turning out. especially the ebony one.

8622469697_96d37736d8_z.jpg
(this is the rosewood but it shows the next step in the process)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

welp, much to my dismay this guitar met and untimely demise last week. I have a rack on a shelf for my works in progress to sit on and without realizing it I didnt get it seated in well enough after working on it. 5 minutes later while working on another guitar I heard this one come crashing down to the concrete busting the top.... sad day. The neck is still good so I think I can save that and make a new body, but its really going to slow my progress down on this one though. Not sure when I'll get it done now.

As beautiful as that top was, it didn't quite compare to the Limba. Hopefully that part can be recovered and we'll see her completed. :-)

Whoa, that truly sucks. There is no chance to just replace the top and save that back as well?

SR

unfortunately I just don't think that there is a chance at saving the back as much as it pains me to say so. the body landed in the worst possible way, hitting the ground in the least structurally sound spot. It landed on the lower bout at the tail end of the guitar so all of that stress went into end grain, and since the electronics plate was out there was no additional wood to help absorb the blow so there is a good size and a big crack in the back as well. I am fairly certain had the back stayed solid the top would have been fine. Even if I could save the back I'm really just a builder, not a repairman, and I'm not particularly confident in my ability to safely remove the neck without doing irreversible damage to the body. I also feel that the carved heel would make removing the neck with heat even more difficult.

I have some more redwood that I actually like better anyway, and while the limba was beautiful I know I can find more, and there are things that I could do better the second time around.

I have some more redwood that I actually like better anyway, and while the limba was beautiful I know I can find more, and there are things that I could do better the second time around.

Pay attention lads, and lady, that is the proper frame of mind to get to after disaster happens.

I rather doubt it was the first reaction he had..........but it is where you want to end up.

Just remember Shad, we want to watch you do those things better the second time around.

SR

• 10 months later...

Time to resurrect this thread! Its been not quite a year ago since my last go at this guitar came to an untimely demise. Since then life has been kinda nuts but i managed to squeeze in some time here and there to make a new body and was able to salvage the nek from my first attempt. and now it is just about ready to go under finish, Here is a recent pic, I'll try to take some more soon.

1978775_10152275614803948_1241188385_n.j