Custom Maple/ Cedar/ Black Locust 7 String

I'm hoping to get this thing back from finish later today or tomorrow then I can get her together and ready to go.

I decided I did not like the three piece design of the humbucker bobbins. They were not as clean as I wanted so I re-made all four. This time they are one piece solid ebony and I am much happier with them!

DSC00935_zps86710c7f.jpg

DSC00936_zpsec3b2d81.jpg

Getting the body down to about 1 1/4"

DSC00798.jpg

REALLY? Do you not like your appendages?

Sorry, It is really none of my business if you disregard safely. However in the future for the impressionable nOObs that come here to learn how to build guitars I ask that you note when you do things in an unsafe manner.

I appreciate your detailed threads and I hope you continue to contribute to the forum.

DSC00798.jpg

Sorry, It is really none of my business if you disregard safely. However in the future for the impressionable nOObs that come here to learn how to build guitars I ask that you note when you do things in an unsafe manner.

I appreciate your detailed threads and I hope you continue to contribute to the forum.

I do appologize. This is a dumb way of thicknessing boards but its what I have to work with for now. I have done other bodys since and now use a method cutting in sections that keeps my hands away from the bit at all times. I would not suggest anyone attempting to immatate this process as it can be very dangerous.

I do appologize. This is a dumb way of thicknessing boards but its what I have to work with for now. I have done other bodys since and now use a method cutting in sections that keeps my hands away from the bit at all times. I would not suggest anyone attempting to immatate this process as it can be very dangerous.

No worries I was not trying to be rude just don't want to see a talented builder (or anyone else) hurt themselves because they did not think safety first. Saying I will just do this to get it done and not thinking safety first is a recipe for disaster.

As a veteran builder and poster on this forum I feel it is important for me to explain all aspects of guitar building, safety included, and I hope that new contributors would feel the same.

For your safety I suggest you change your blank thickness methods. I am not saying don't use the pin router because it is a viable tool when used correctly. I am saying make it as safe as you can.

If I was going to try and make that setup safer I would make a fence that allowed me to rest the wood against as I fed into the router. I would set it up so that I could quickly move it incrementally allowing the bit to only cut half its width and at a depth acceptable for the HP of the router. Do some research on router feed and pin router so you get the fence on the correct side.

I would also build a dedicated stand for the machine so I could ensure I was in the proper position to safely feed wood into the router.

Basically try to get your arms and hands clear of the machine. And see about making it so you can feed the board with push blocks so your fingers are farther away.

Also I would make sure the arm is VERY secure. That would involve lock washers and possible nylon locking nuts to bold it to the table. Clamps can vibrate lose.

I would like to see what you come up with.

Did you build the over arm? It looks pretty cool even devoid of the safety features.

that is looking awesome. purely out of interest what is the reason for the thin front piece (stained blue) is it a different wood/grain or style wise to get the line around the edge? or something to do with sound? i'm pretty new to building guitars so don;t want to be missing something important :)

love the chamfers think my next one will be chamfered, went with round over this time.

nice job

RAD- The arm was built by my dad. I want to make a jig that can carve a neck accurately and repeatably so I needed the over arm router but they are way too expensive for me at the moment so we designed it and he welded it up. I need to figure out the rest of the jig and then I will build a secure table and stand for the arm. Body thicknessing was not the intended purpose but it works for now.

Zed- If you a refering to the blue face of the body, that is a western maple top, and was choosen by the customer for its grain pattern. It is very thin and I'm not sure if it would have a noticable affect on the tone. Also welcome to the forum! :)

RAD- The arm was built by my dad. I want to make a jig that can carve a neck accurately and repeatably so I needed the over arm router but they are way too expensive for me at the moment so we designed it and he welded it up. I need to figure out the rest of the jig and then I will build a secure table and stand for the arm. Body thicknessing was not the intended purpose but it works for now.

Your old man did a killer job on the over arm. \m/

• 2 months later...

Well guys I messed this one up to the point were I didnt feel comfortable sending it out so I talked to the customer and decided to do a version two along with a second build that he wanted which is awesome! The second build Is based on a Vik Duality with a black limba body, quilted maple top, rosewood neck, munn ebony fb, custom maple humbuckers and finished with a violet to red burst.

Heres some pics of where Im at now:

DSC01023_zps3dc5c8b2.jpg

DSC01024_zps3163249e.jpg

DSC01025_zps38e71ca4.jpg

DSC01026_zpsd1592e7e.jpg

This wood blemish looks like an apple

DSC01027_zpsd6044eb8.jpg

DSC01028_zps4a677898.jpg

DSC01029_zpsfba04afe.jpg

DSC01030_zps4441b13b.jpg

DSC01057_zps7730b30f.jpg

DSC01058_zpsfc111440.jpg

DSC01059_zps89b5632a.jpg

DSC01060_zps22c25add.jpg

DSC01061_zps991bd7a0.jpg

So I have a question for you guys. With the last build I did using quilted maple my finish came out alittle wavy because of the grain. Certain spots are softer and sand quicker leaving the harder grain raised. I know I can fix this with extra time with a decent size sanding block on the flat parts but the carves on this one are worrying me. I have rubber spindles with 80 grit on them from my occilating sander that I was using but due to such a small area of contact when sanding I think I'm just going to be following the waves in the grain rather then flattening them. I have a good scraper fresh from stewmac but the grain makes it very difficult to pull an even carve with it. Is there any tricks I might be missing that would help?

• Like 1

You've got some very clean edged coves and carves going there.

I've made a variety of stiff yet flexible sanding blocks out screen printing squeegee blade material. I know it's not exactly a household item, but it's typically 3/8" thick by 2.5" wide by whatever length you cut it to polyeurethane. The surfaces are smooth and flat and stiiff enough to level the grain variences of the quilt, but flexible enough to follow mild contours. I made a variety of sizes and shapes to handle the various contours in my carves. I also use the dense foam sanding pads that come with a box of micro mesh sheets and cut them to a few different sizes and shapes. Alternating between all these I'm able to keep the contours level. You may be able to get some old squeegee blades from a screen printing shop or find something similar. You just want to make some blocks with curved surfaces, with a little conformability. Be sure to round the edges a little so they ride the contours instead of digging into them.

SR

Thanks for the info Scott! I'll try and find some sort of rubber material with the stiffness/ flexiblity I need. My dad does body work on cars so Ill have to go raid his toolbox haha.

DSC01062_zpsde501981.jpg

DSC01063_zpsc81d262c.jpg

DSC01064_zps9650eff2.jpg

DSC01065_zps1ac463cf.jpg

Wanted to make sure the straplock wouldnt just rip out of the thin horn so I burried it a bit

DSC01066_zpse5fee86a.jpg

DSC01067_zpse761f379.jpg

All carves are now roughed in, still needs a bit of clean up but the hard parts done

DSC01068_zps5aa1ab28.jpg

DSC01069_zps7bb3dfd3.jpg

DSC01070_zpsd061e4a0.jpg

DSC01071_zpsa4f0c57c.jpg

looks pretty much like Vik Guitars´ duality series to me.. but nice clean work!

Yep thats the idea haha. I really like the shape and the way it flows. I have a new respect for Vik if he is hand carving each one, its definitely not easy.

HC- That does look like a good spot for some sort of flame thrower/ morter launcher haha

HC- That does look like a good spot for some sort of flame thrower/ morter launcher haha

Just sayin...Also, the work you are doing is excellent. It is creative, beautiful, and very well executed. Anyone who is fortunate enough to be in possesion of one of your works, should consider themselves very lucky. Keep up the good art/work.

Wow, they're both lookin awesome! Black limba and black&white ebony - two woods that I always wanted to try but can't seem to find any reasonalbe source in Europe..

Thanks! I really love the black limba its gorgeous to look at and a pleasure to work with, I definitely plan on using it in more of my builds.

here some lumber sites with an assortment of different size limba, prices arnt too bad but I am not sure what shipping will be like.

https://www.gilmerwood.com/items.php?species=Limba&CID=31

https://www.cookwoods.com/lumber-site/?s_cs=1&s=black+limba&x=0&y=0

http://www.byoguitar.com/Guitars/Black-LimbaKorina-Body-Blank__BYO-BLANK-BL.aspx

As for the sanding issue I was worried about:

I checked out my dads body work supplies and found he had some stiff durablock foam/rubber sanding blocks. He was nice enough to let me use them for a bit and I gotta say they worked great! The Tops are dead flat and the carves are as smooth as can be. I was sad to have to return the blocks so I went on amazon a found a 7 peice set for about $34. This may or may not seem expensive to you but after testing them I think its worth the price. They will last a very long time (my dad has had the same set for years even though hes working and sanding multiple cars daily).

This is the only set I found at this price, the others are $45 and up for the same blocks. Theres 17 left in stock so if youre interested check it out soon!

http://www.amazon.com/Dura-Block-Af44a-Dura-Block-Kit/dp/B003978QGQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1363962959&sr=8-4&keywords=durablock

• Like 1