Build 5 - Singlecut/tele-Style Tsc6

• 2 weeks later...

Position markers and neck carve done. Really digging the gidgee fretboard, lots of character. Red myrtle in the scarf and lams looks pink in these shots but turns burgundy when the clear goes on:

037_zps5f05f2e7.jpg

038_zps2a20f7ba.jpg

039_zpsa255c4a6.jpg

040_zps8107cc86.jpg

Also whipped up a couple of cavity covers in tiger myrtle to match the top:

041_zps4dfdedf4.jpg

I'm still refining my technique somewhat with those concentric inlays, but they came out better this time around. Got a few more ideas to try out to ensure the two pieces line up perfectly every time. At the moment about a third of the inlays get thrown away due to off-centres. First time around it was 50/50.

I'm working on a carved top and I'm trying to figure out how to do that round recess for the vol/tone controls. How did you do that?

1/2" diameter bullnose bit in the router, plus template ring fitted in the router base. Drill a 30mm diameter hole in a piece of clear acrylic and lay it over the area to be routed. Run the router around the circle template to a depth of 3-5mm to taste. I find I get a cleaner result if I run the router around the template in an anticlockwise direction (ie, a climbing cut). Marking a set of crosshairs on the body, and drilling your hole for the pot/switch before you route makes lining everything up easier too.

If you have any spare shank bearings and stop collars you could retrofit one to a bullnose bit and make it a template-following bit instead of using a pattern ring. There probably are bullnose bits out there that have the bearings already fitted. On a pre-carved top you'd have to devise some way of positioning the template above the body on spacer blocks to keep it level over the carved parts. Tricky but not impossible.

I know a few people do use the drill press with a cove bit on the highest RPM setting like you describe, but i feel more comfortble using a high speed bit for what it was designed for in the proper tool. YMMV.

I know a few people do use the drill press with a cove bit on the highest RPM setting like you describe, but i feel more comfortble using a high speed bit for what it was designed for in the proper tool. YMMV.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Using a router bit in a drill press is a recipe for disaster (tear out).

Nice work so far on the guitar! I'll be following this one for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Scott. The fluro lighting in the shed does weird things with my camera. The colours in that top are much darker and less yellow than how that looks. In the last shot you can see the cavity covers sitting on the workbench - that's probably closer to how it looks in person.

• 2 weeks later...

First go at using an arbor press to do frets. Much prefer this over hammering, easier to get a nice consistent result on each fret:

045_zpsb4015e9e.jpg

Haven't been happy with the ends of the fret tangs being visible after dressing on my last couple of necks, so tried undercutting each fret so that only the fret end itself will be visible. Takes a little bit longer than to prep each fret before pressing, but will be neater looking in the end:

044_zpse4836829.jpg

Getting down to the minor/cosmetic stuff now:

046_zps0e571ca0.jpg

047_zps43124d63.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking about putting one of the VS100s on a build I have in progress right now. Since I'm not generally a trem guy, haven't built before with a Fender-style trem, and specs seem to be hard to find online, I was hoping you could help me out with some measurements?

- How high off the body did you sit the bottom of the base plate? I've heard this can affect playability but I'm not a trem guy enough to really know much about how.

- What's the height to the bottom of your strings on the Es?

- Lastly, you seem to have a different sized "block cavity" for the trem block from the front then you do from the back? From the back it appears bigger as you see a "lip" of the top left? What was the reason for this? Also, the routing templates I have found for these online have this extra bit cut out so that they're not a perfect rectangle (with rounded corners). Your's doesn't have this, your's appears to be a standard rectangle with rounded corners. Did this work fine for you? What dimensions were your cavity?

Thanks,

Chris

I'm thinking about putting one of the VS100s on a build I have in progress right now. Since I'm not generally a trem guy, haven't built before with a Fender-style trem, and specs seem to be hard to find online, I was hoping you could help me out with some measurements?

- How high off the body did you sit the bottom of the base plate? I've heard this can affect playability but I'm not a trem guy enough to really know much about how.

- What's the height to the bottom of your strings on the Es?

- Lastly, you seem to have a different sized "block cavity" for the trem block from the front then you do from the back? From the back it appears bigger as you see a "lip" of the top left? What was the reason for this? Also, the routing templates I have found for these online have this extra bit cut out so that they're not a perfect rectangle (with rounded corners). Your's doesn't have this, your's appears to be a standard rectangle with rounded corners. Did this work fine for you? What dimensions were your cavity?

Thanks,

Chris

I'll get back to you with some more concrete measurements soon, but off the top of my head I set the underside of the baseplate to 1/8" above the top of the body to allow a little bit of upwards pull on the arm, and the gap at the rear of the block cavity is bigger so that the block has room to swing backwards when the arm is depressed. The lip at the top is only to minimise the size of the route on the body top where the block passes through, otherwise you'd see a big hole all the way through the body at the back of the trem when viewed front-on. Any Strat-style trem will be similar.