Build 5 - Singlecut/tele-Style Tsc6

...Only a bit more modern and pointy-looking.

Target specs:

Body - Tasmanian blackwood with tiger myrtle carved top

Neck - Tas blackwood with figured gidgee fretboard

Scale length - 25.5"

Radius - 16"

Trussrod - Allparts

Tuners - Hipshot Griplock

Nut - Graphtech black Tusq

Frets - Jumbo stainless steel

Pickups - Seymour Duncan JB bridge, STK-4 neck

Bridge - Wilkinson VS100 trem

Electronics - 1x vol, 1 x 3-way toggle

Tiger myrtle has a kind of spalting that gives it its distinctive dark stripey patterns. Gidgee is an Australian desert hardwood, very dense. I still have a bit of left over red myrtle from SY8 that I might use as accenting in the neck.

Been hankering for an instrument with a single coil neck pickup for a while, and also wanted to try a singlecut body shape. Had a SD stacked singlecoil pickup kicking around and figured it was a perfect excuse to marry the two together.

Blackwood body blank:

001_zps68c7d641.jpg

003_zpsce47b983.jpg

Tiger myrtle:

002_zpsf098de2d.jpg

Jointing the edges of the top:

004_zps073fbebc.jpg

005_zps0f34658e.jpg

Spent a couple of weekends late last year building a new split top workbench which is in these photos. Finally retired the crappy old fold-up thing. It's so nice being able to do things like planing some boards or spreading out my tools and clamps without having to fight a flimsy, wonky, under-sized workbench. Still need to add the removable section between the two tops, but for now I'm enjoying the massive improvement over what I was using up till now.

I was admiring your bench whilst checking out the photos, looks great! What would also be great is if you'd put some plans up for it :-p. Is that a no5 or no6 you use for jointing? I'm trying to get hold of a jointer and not sure if a no7 is neccassery as a no6 is a lot cheaper. With regards to the body shape, I really like it, interested to see how the carve turns out on the bass side.

Shelvock

I don't have any plans as such. It's just a collection of ideas I pulled together from various other designs on the web. The frame design is based around this one and is all 2x4 hardwood framing. The mortises were a bitch to make, and I certainly won't win any awards for my carpentry skills, but the result is rock solid and weighs a ton. The top is approx 1800mm x 600mm.

Plane in that photo is a 5 1/2 Stanley which I picked up cheap at a second hand store and spent some time cleaning up.

Still thinking about how best to do the carve on the bass side myself. I think I've got it nutted out but things may change.

Top out of the clamps and rough-cut to shape:

006_zpsbb325195.jpg

The offcuts:

008_zpsa675565c.jpg

007_zpsfe5bbce3.jpg

The area with bark inclusions is quite soft and splintery, and goes all the way through to the back. The inclusions themselves are more like pits in the timber where the grain becomes very coarse and pale, almost like balsa wood. Although I'd hate to waste this much timber, and I'm quite fond of the grain pattern up to the middle of the slab, the stability of the wood does seem a bit iffy. Any thoughts? Maybe CA to stabilise and clear epoxy to fill the voids?

Could that be dry rot? I'd agree though that it needs some form of stabilization. You'd almost have to build that aesthetic (the white spots) into the build somehow hahaha.

Chris

PS: What are the prices like for this stuff over there?

yeah,CA to stabilize.It looks like a mold of some type.CA will kill it and stop it from spreading.I would flood the entire piece with CA and go from there

Could be dry rot, but doesn't look like it's advancing through the piece like I'd expect some form of progressive decay to do. I'll try to take a close-up shot of it later on. Might also try CA-ing a small section of it to see how it behaves.

PS: What are the prices like for this stuff over there?

Not fantastic. It's quite rare down here. I probably paid too much for them, but I liked the look of them a lot. For the pair (about 900mm x 250mm x35mm each) I paid $500. That was after talking the guy down $100, but I believe he will sell to overseas customers. http://www.distinctivetimbers.com.au

Wow. At first I thought that was some kind of fungal attack....and it may be, but there looks to be some bug work involved too.

It would be interesting to see if you could clear out all the holes before you filled or stabilized them. Benedetto's worm holed top comes to mind.

SR

Yeah, you can probably see why I was initailly reluctant to use those pieces. I'm not entirely convinced the wormholed look really fits with the rest of the figuring. You can see in one of those earlier pics where I've overlaid the body template that the wormholed section is all through the cutaway and upper bout. Because the holes go all the way through to the back they'd all be visible on the edges like swiss cheese once you cut the body outline.

I'll keep the pieces anyway. There's heaps of decent timber in them for using on headplates, scarf accents and the like. It's just a shame I can't really use them for another set of tops.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a gap in some of these shots, didn't have the camera with me for a lot of it unfortunately.

Scarf clampage:

015_zps0ad05fce.jpg

Neck trimmed to shape:

016_zps644053e4.jpg

Trying out a new neck pocket jig. It's based off one I found in the september issue of Sustain Magazine. Will do any taper and width. Only thing it won't do easily is an angled neck pocket, but since I don't (yet) do builds that need angled pockets I can live without it. The one thing I really like about it is that I don't have to worry about using bits of string to line up the neck with the centreline of the body. Just clamp it up, measure the gap either side of the centreline at the back of the body between the two ends of the jig and twist it around until both gaps are equal.

Clamp the jig around the neck:

017_zps10db4f5e.jpg

Tighten the thumbweels under the crossplate, fit the end stop and remove the neck:

018_zps42e0a649.jpg

20mm forstener bit to remove the excess:

019_zps78418ab9.jpg

Route to the template:

020_zpscd3af1ba.jpg

Done:

021_zps4dab57a7.jpg

• Like 1

Had to use the phone camera for these shots. Please excuse the shoddier than usual quality.

022_zpsda870155.jpg

While that's clamping it's time to get stuck into the final routing and shaping jobs on the body. Pickup cavities landed exactly where the wiring channels were run earlier:

023_zps46c4a52d.jpg

Trem cavity:

024_zps9c66ad88.jpg

Almost done:

025_zps6cc5a94e.jpg

Time to carve:

026_zpsb52213ce.jpg

027_zpsb84a486d.jpg

028_zpsa63e854f.jpg

029_zps538e1eb8.jpg

Rough carve nearly there:

030_zpsea284361.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Headplate roughly cut and attached:

031_zpscbc428da.jpg

Trimmed to size:

032_zps654b27bb.jpg

Test fit for trussrod access. Decided to try a different method for accessing the trussrod nut. Rather than just routing a channel to the full length into the headstock, I've made the window in the headplate only big enough to insert the wrench instead. Much neater methinks:

033_zpsfdfb05ce.jpg

Headstock profile cut:

034_zps53a9198a.jpg

fee05965-b1da-49d1-8e6f-4c338be2f035_zps48dadcd1.jpg

Ready for position markers:

036_zpsfe58d03a.jpg