Bubinga Neck Won't Get Smooth

dpm99

I'm working on a solid Bubinga neck. Twice now I've tried sanding it to a finished state, and twice it's gotten rough again by the next day. Last night I was very careful to go through all the grits, from 100 all the way through 12,000 (with micro mesh). It was as smooth as glass. Then this morning, not so much. I'm guessing this is the grain raising in places I have runout. Has this ever happened to anyone else? And...what would you do? I was hoping to have an unfinished neck, but now I'm thinking a little TruOil or something. I don't know.

Burnish the wood. You can do this dry with oily woods however there is nothing wrong with adding a little non-drying oil and burnishing the wood with 0000/00000 steel wool. I'm thinking of getting a few polissoirs made up, which are short packs of tightly bound straw or reeds (think shaving brush but solid) which you can use to burnish up oily woods raw or to add a wax finish. Denim is great for burnishing, and I used this on a was finish for a bed I constructed recently.

The reason I thought of a polissoir is that they burnish the wood by compressing the surface in addition to pushing a finish.

I can't say I have ever had a problem with an oily wood that usually takes a good polish "furring up". This information is based on how I guess I would tackle it. The issue sounds a little weird to me, however your grain runout idea is quite plausible in theory.

I usually rub oily woods down with 0000 steel wool really well after sanding. On anything like cocobolo, ebony, etc., it'll get a nice, smooth shine out of it, which you can't seem to get from sanding, even with high grits. You have to keep in mind you're just sanding wood and not a finish, so it's not going to act the same way. Most of those woods "finish" themselves with their own oils and waxes and will stay looking nice if you rub them down with the steel wool like that.

I've never tried it on bubinga, but it's worth a shot, for sure.

I've never tried Prosthetas approach, but that sounds interesting.

Edited by NotYou

It's nothing different to using steel wool really, although it definitely doesn't leave bits of iron torn up by rough endgrain in the wood. Steel wool was a turn of the 20th century invention so polissoirs are just old-school stuff. I kind of like it though because the provenance of arts is important to me.

A strip of denim chased over the neck with two hands is a good readily-available substitute.

Bubinga is not an oily wood.I don't know why everyone keeps calling it one.It is a dry wood..no oil..no wax.I have two bubinga guitars on my wall right now.If yours is oily it was added to it or it still has too much moisture in it

It needs a finish.It is very stable but you should at least oil it or it will always feel rough.Personally I used Catalytic Varnish and Wipe on Poly with good results.It has a surface texture like mahogany but with larger pores

A few coats of tru oil rubbed in would be very nice

• Like 1

Ha! I'll consider burninating too. I think I'm gonna try a few things in order. First I'll go with the denim. If that doesn't work, I'll try steel wool. After that, I'll pull out the TruOil.

Wes, I understand what you're saying about it not being oily. It's not - not in the same way as rosewood or ebony, but I think it's significantly more oily than maple, for example.

Bob, it's dry. Last time I checked it was at 9%. Actually, that damp cloth idea isn't bad. Raise the grain and then sand. I might try that too.

As it is, it's not really so bad. It just has a few spots that aren't as smooth as I'd like.

Bubinga needs a finish. it is realy hard & stable but it is not an oily wood. I rub in a single coat of danish oil.

Then a few days later i chase it with a folded up belt of un-dyed egyptian cotton lightly wetted with external danish oil.

then I use an old leather belt (smooth side to the timber) & buff it up using long strokes & a lot of pressure. Try not to build up too much heat when lapping/chasing it with the leather.

Wait a few days then polish it up with some crumpled up news paper.

Smooth as glass, shines like glass & plays fast as fook

• Like 1

Simple test. Either boil it and see if much oil is secreted from the wood or wipe it with Acetone. Thinking about it, I used to wipe all my necks clean with Acetone (unless bound) and I must have done so with the Maple/Bubinga neck. It never cross-contaminated so on that basis I wouldn't call Bubinga oily. It can certainly have pitch pockets though. Ebony definitely does not cross-contaminate....Cocobolo is bad though....

@pauliemc - sounds to me like a polissoir would be perfect for the job if that works for you

I think I hit on a controversial topic, which wasn't my intention, and from the looks of things, a light finish is probably the answer to my problem. But just to stir the pot a little more, I don't think Rickenbacker ever finished their Bubinga fretboards, did they?