Serpentine Guitars - Custom Flame Maple Carve-Top Dc

Before I started this build, I had planned on taking full photo sequences of the guitars production. Unfortunately, I did not get the photos I wanted so I will be documenting this build from the point I'm currently at, with the hope of photo sequences for certain "procedures", such as the inlay work that will be undertaken on this particular guitar.
So, this build is a private commission for a UK based client with the following spec...
001_hanford_ash_ebony_rosewood_zpsa2777c
Swamp Ash body with Flame Maple top (carve-top)
One-piece Indian Rosewood neck (set-neck)
Ebony fretboard
25.5" scale length
20" radius
24 frets (Jescar Jumbo Stainless Steel)
PRS 513-style Paua fretboard inlays
Grover machine heads (Gold)
GraphTech Resomax NW2 bridge (Gold)
JBE Pickups (T/T neck and bridge, SC middle)
Trans Red Gloss finish w/ natural faux-binding (body and headstock face only)
Progress so far:
004_ash_body_blank_thicknessed_zps4b104c
The Swamp Ash has been planed, joined and thicknessed (currently 34mm but due to be thicknessed down to 26mm to take the (new) Flame Maple top we're using).
005_hanford_flame_maple_top_zpsc14d8558.
Looking at the first picture in this post, there is some Flame Maple laying underneath the Ash, this has since been replaced with a thicker top (3/4" when planed and thicknessed for gluing to the Ash). This Maple top shown is what we'll be using for this build.
006_headstock_angle_sawn_and_planed_into
The neck will be a one-piece affair with 12 degree headstock angle (to which a Flame Maple veneer will be glued) and volute. The face has been planed/sanded flat ready to take the Ebony fretboard and a Truss Rod channel routed.
007_truss_rod_channel_routed_zps096e3833
The next step will be working on the fretboard; fret slots and inlay work. I'll be using some stunning Paua shell blanks (imported from Israel) for the inlays, which are based on the PRS 513 birds.
008_paua_shell_for_inlays_zps63087e3d.jp
I have glued on some headstock ears, followed by a Flame Maple veneer (bookmatched) to the head face...
010_headstock_template_zps9f349115.jpg
017_head_face_veneer_preparation_zpsd9cf
020_head_face_veneer_unclamped_zps8ebb63
The neck profile has been roughed in - including angled heel (2 degree angle) and volute...
016_neck_profile_roughed_in_zps09e7259c.
The Flame Maple top has been jointed and glued, soon to be thicknessed down to 16mm and glued to the Ash (26mm thick)...
022_flame_maple_top_dry_clamped_zps10a3b
023_flame_maple_top_glued_zps06de3f21.jp
Further updates coming this weekend :)

I was looking at your guitars just recently.I remember the V.Nice examples of "natural" builds(or that is what I call it when the wood is visible and the pores are showing.)

I am a big fan of the style.

Oops.Just noticed this is not your first topic.Oh well it hardly matters.The sentiment is the same.

Where did you acquire the Indian Rosewood blank from for the neck? It's so scarce in good large straight pieces!

Exotic Hardwoods UK Ltd in their Instrument Wood section < Google them. I don't normally like buying milled timber/blanks specifically for instruments like this as you pay a premium, but it's expensive stuff and I didn't want to buy more than I needed.

You could also Google hardwood suppliers and find someone that might have some off cuts, but the Exotic Hardwoods stuff was quartersawn and nicely seasoned (I believe it's reclaimed timber).

Yeah, I know of Exotic Hardwoods and you're correct about the premium. Still, when "instrument" wood is good then the premium exists to soak up losses and work put into controlled drying/storage. Certainly, in the visakoivu I have ready to go into the kiln there are a lot of knots which I am having to plan around in order to get good material for archtop back/sides or even LP-size 3/4" bookmatched tops. For general use outside of instruments I could happily include those as minor faults (being sound knots) but they're going to have to go the way of the Dodo. Newer-growth Rosewood is rarely straight whereas yours appears straighter than as not. I wouldn't like to imagine what you paid charged the customer for it! Actually, I would. ;-)

Looking forward to seeing this one develop and perhaps seeing your first GOTM entry?

Yeah, I know of Exotic Hardwoods and you're correct about the premium. Still, when "instrument" wood is good then the premium exists to soak up losses and work put into controlled drying/storage. Certainly, in the visakoivu I have ready to go into the kiln there are a lot of knots which I am having to plan around in order to get good material for archtop back/sides or even LP-size 3/4" bookmatched tops. For general use outside of instruments I could happily include those as minor faults (being sound knots) but they're going to have to go the way of the Dodo. Newer-growth Rosewood is rarely straight whereas yours appears straighter than as not. I wouldn't like to imagine what you paid charged the customer for it! Actually, I would. ;-)

Looking forward to seeing this one develop and perhaps seeing your first GOTM entry?

Exactly the same as I paid... honestly! :)

Perhaps we should organise a group buy for members in the EU if we have sufficient interest. Not sure if it would save us that much after shipping of course but worth looking into nonetheless.

Shipping is only £23 to the UK for £200 of goods, so probably not feasible to start splitting up an order getting everyone their part of the order. Good idea if everyone was living in the same area though.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm all for people selling their builds and all, but how is this not an outright copy of an Ormsby?

Sully

Ok, looks like there's a bit of an issue over my headstock design here... Similar comments were also said on the Ultimate Guitar forum too.

Basically, as I explained there, it is extremely difficult to come up with totally original designs nowadays as there are so many already, and in this case, it's purely coincidental and I would have no intention of deliberately ripping off one of Ormsby's designs.

Although I would recognise his 6-inline headstock shape, I had not seen his 3x3 shape (of which mine resembles) enough until I Googled it yesterday to consciously copy it.

With this coming to light in such early days of me using this particular headstock design, I will be withdrawing it as an option on my custom and stock builds and making my way "back to the drawing board" in an attempt to come up with an alternative 3x3 shape for Serpentine Guitars.

Ormsby; if you're reading this, my apologies for any concerns or offence I may have caused.

I'm all for people selling their builds and all, but how is this not an outright copy of an Ormsby?

Sully

Not to be contentious here, but both are much identical to a PRS headstock with "slight" modifications. Id say they are both equally different from each other as they are from a PRS!

I mean... cmon...

http://a4.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/116/1347db8d01024971b1302369a8f3ef75/l.jpg

Vs

http://www.obmart.com/images/MickEquipment/PRSArtistHeadstock.jpg

That aside, the build is looking sick!

Edited by bob123