2 More Exp Customs

guitar2005,

The blueness went away on mine within a few minutes. On the black part of the burst, when it first was sprayed, looked completely opaque blue. But after it dried, it looks jet black.

I have had some waterbased polys stay really blue. And if you add a tint to them, they look florescent.

with the EM7000, I understand that when you spray it on, you can't trust the color. I'm not referring to the wet coat. I'm referring to the dried and cured finish. On a dark color, there will be a blue tint. You'll see it with stage lights or in the sun. If not, then you are lucky and don't add any more coats.

Well, in any light, i cant see any blue on the black at all.

But then again, you spray a TON of coats compared to me. 12 coats is pretty intense. I only sprayed 5, and i thought that was a heck of a lot.

I spray 12 of the EM6000. With the EM7000, the max I ever sprayed was 2. If you can't see the blue, that's great news.

It just goes with the territory. Lacquer can have retarder added to help with flowing out or have a misting of thinner to reflow the surface if I recall, but I doubt water-based is as flexible or forgiving. Sanding just seems like a thankless job where you just keep telling yourself you have something better to be doing than this.

I personally think its only worth it if the extra effort results in extra quality.

Another interesting thing with this finish.

I Wet sanded it all.

Hit it with the 10" random orbital buffer.

Still had a little orange peel after i buffed it.

It sat for about 2 hours. Then i put in on my couch like i always do.

Woke up this morning, and wouldnt you know it. the couch left marks in the finish like it was still tacky when i put it down. Makes no sense at all to me.