Preparation Of Surface Before Fret Leveling

Today i glued the fretboard to my neck.By measuring the straightness of the fretboard i see a small up-bow in the middle.First thought was to straigten by sanding locally there...But i wondered if it is better to keep this curve.After loading the strings the tension will "dissapear" this small curve,and ...I have never tried such thing before..All my previous fretborads were 100% flat to accept the frets...

What do you guys think about this ??What would you do in my place???

You want it flat.

When I'm doing these surfaces, the face of the neck will be flat, prepared by jointer. The fingerboard will be flat, prepared by drum sander.

I pre slot the board with deeper slots than I need, but I don't radius it until after the board is glued to the neck as the radius stage allows me to make sure that the area is still flat after the two flat surfaces are joined.

The hard part is clamping the neck in a manner that it is straight for you to radius. I really need to pull my finger out and build a jig as I end out spending a couple minutes messing around with a straight edge. Sometimes you might even use the truss rod at this point.

I think what you're seeing is just the neck pulling back on itself which you'll be able to fix with the truss rod etc, but you want to be careful, as you don't want to just go levelling the board if you haven't clamped up the neck straight or you'll actually level it into a wave shape when tension is on it

• Like 1

I cannot give a definite yes/no answer as I'm not holding the item, but putting some pressure on the truss rod to see if it'll fix your problem is free, reversable, only takes a few seconds and will not damage your neck.

no truss rod adjustment other than to kiss it tight. Meaning the instant it feels tight and it might move the neck stop.

Flatten the fretboard so no daylight comes under your straight edge

Follow the path of the strings when you check for flatness.

Sand the board until it shines it will save you headache later.

Check it several times before you fret it.

Fretting it with modern fretwire will cause a slight backbow. Don't worry about it too much. String it up and leave it over night at pitch. That helps seat the fret tangs. IT should be very close to dead straight the next day.

Tape off the fretboard and level, crown and polish your frets.

Cheers!

That's pretty much what I do as well.

You want it flat.

I pre slot the board with deeper slots than I need, but I don't radius it until after the board is glued to the neck as the radius stage allows me to make sure that the area is still flat after the two flat surfaces are joined.

That is what i usually do..!thanks!!!!!!

but my idea was to simulate the strings tension with the small use of the truss rod...

anyway i will go safe and follow the way you describe!!!!

i think i will use the fret barber to eliminate the back bow from fret tangs!!!

I am not a fan of filing the fret barbs to reduce back bow. Maybe on a super hard synthetic board. But in my experience the barbs are what hold the fret in and the backbow caused by fretting is usually completely gone after a few days at pitch. The strings will pull the neck forward effectively driving the barbs into the side of the slots.

The only time I have used a fret barb file is when I was refretting a super hard ebony board on a vintage gibson acoustic. And I am not sure it made much of a difference in the long run.