A Vampyre Bass (First Post In This Section)

Hello guys this s my first post in this section and I am proudly present my first bass project.
This one is for a friend of mine that asked me to built a 5 string bass guitar based on Warwick's Vampyre shape.

So the specs are:

Neck: Neck through wenge / figured maple laminates
Body: Swamp ash wings
Ebony fretboard
34" inch scale

Seymour Duncan pickups

Dimarzio X2N on the neck position

Schaller and Warwick black hardware

So...

First comes some CAD plans I draw.

DSC_0010_zpsd41f4bf1.jpg

Making Templates

DSC_0022_zps9bb770b6.jpg

DSC_0021_zpsaffab97e.jpg

Cutting the pre-slotted fretboard

DSC_0054_zpsf4f0d56d.jpg

DSC_0055_zps37d375af.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have any photos while gluing the neck

So next.... cutting the neck angle

P1012656_zps73b44169.jpg

P1012654_zps2b6097de.jpg

P1012652_zpsb1c1d5b8.jpg

P1012658_zps99337098.jpg

P1012657_zpsd4f062e0.jpg

P1012660_zps8f52b91a.jpg

The truss rod channel is ready..

DSC_0060_zpsc6db465e.jpg

DSC_0061_zps801c8b59.jpg

...and the channel for the carbon fiber rods also

DSC_0064_zps8acab178.jpg

DSC_0067_zps5ffb248b.jpg

Routing the neck pickup

By the way the neck pickup it will be a Dimarzio pickup designed for an electric guitar (not for bass)

DSC_0091_zpsa342a9ca.jpg

Gluing the carbon fiber rods with epoxy.

This stage was a mess cause I forgot to mask the neck and epoxy spread all around.

DSC_0094_zps8080e6ab.jpg

Fixing some mistakes on the rods channel

DSC_0097_zps770543e4.jpg

Test fit of the bridge pickup

DSC_0103_zps23c482c5.jpg

DSC_0104_zps43473f81.jpg

Installing the truss rod

DSC_0105_zpsf04f933b.jpg

This is generally looking very good. It is possible to minimize the visual impact of that Truss rod mishap (right now it sticks out like a sore thumb):

Rig up some hardwood straight strips aligned with the flame maple laminate in the "between pickups" area. Carefully rout out, with a template following bit, the maple completely, but only to a shallow depth, say 1/8" or 3mm. Repeat with the other laminate. Glue in strips of maple that covers you repair. That way the fix will be almost completely invisible.

Very nice. Are you doing a "faithful" carve, ie. the raised edges around the waist?

Thanks a lot it means a lot for me.

I prefer doing a carve like this... however the guy that asked me to build this didn't like it at all

This is generally looking very good. It is possible to minimize the visual impact of that Truss rod mishap (right not is sticks out like a sore thumb):

Rig up some hardwood straight strips aligned with the flame maple laminate in the "between pickups" area. Carefully rout out, with a template following bit, the maple completely, but only to a shallow depth, say 1/8" or 3mm. Repeat with the other laminate. Glue in strips of maple that covers you repair. That way the fix will be almost completely invisible.

This is a very good idea. I might have some spare straight pieces of maple. Maybe I should try it. On the other hand I am thinking that the whole bass it's gonna be dyed black and the imperfection will covered. Thanks a lot by the way.

Oh, yeah, thats much neater. Good save. BTW, an awful lot of pickups in that instrument. OK, not much more than in a strat...

Oh, yeah, thats much neater. Good save. BTW, an awful lot of pickups in that instrument. OK, not much more than in a strat...

:D

Yeah there is going to be a mess trying to solder all together

You could get a piezo in yet.

I hope not

Way to go.

HSH with the proper switching can be very versitile. Looking good.

That's a very clean fix

Thanks a lot guys

So before I move on I would like a little help with the finishing schedule.

The bass it's going to be dyed black. So I am thinking something like this

Warwick-Corvette-$$-NT-4-Ash-Nirvana-Bla

Does anybody has a schedule to suggest?

I am thinking:

-Water based black dye all over

-Sanding and dye again

-Few coats of Teak oil or Tung oil

-Leveling

-Rub on poly

-Waxing with warwick beeswax

(By the way I've never tried an oil finishing before just some guitar necks with tru oil)

Generally dyed/stain wood and oil finishes don't work too well in my experience. Teak/Tung Oil penetrate into the wood as do stain/dye and it tends to displace the color. Do some testing before hand. My last guitar I used gel stain on the mahogany but let the guitar sit over 6 months before I applied teak oil. I did get a small amount of color displacement as seen on a rag when first applying the oil but overall wasn't too bad.

Generally dyed/stain wood and oil finishes don't work too well in my experience. Teak/Tung Oil penetrate into the wood as do stain/dye and it tends to displace the color. Do some testing before hand. My last guitar I used gel stain on the mahogany but let the guitar sit over 6 months before I applied teak oil. I did get a small amount of color displacement as seen on a rag when first applying the oil but overall wasn't too bad.

I was afraid of this reaction. I'll do some tests first and see.

You won't get that black finish with oils, they have an amber tint to them that will give you a brownish color. Your best bet for the finish you posted is to go with satin lacquer or poly over a black dye as you suggested.

I read somewhere in Warwick's site that they achieve this kind of finishes just with their beeswax.

+1 about the oil

Beeswax can be used as a finish however it provides little to no protection against well, anything really. Add to that the potential issue for it messing with any stains, etc. You can of course test on scrap, which is highly recommended. Beeswax is used more as a conditioner and a polish on top of oil finishes or on oily woods. It can also be used as a polish on cured oils (such as Tru-oil) or even rubbed on poly.

Warwick may use wax straight onto say, Bubinga bodies or other woods that don't require finishes.

• 1 month later...