Ajax Current Builds

So this is my first time attempting a build thread. I am also trying to figure out the photobucket thing, so please bear with me. This is a bass I built called The Choctaw. It is all mahogany, neck through, ipe fretboard with diamond MOP inlay. If I am successful with the pictures, I will post some of another bass and a strat that I am just starting.

URL=http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/joemayer01/media/image_zpsc4af27c7.jpg.html]image_zpsc4af27c7.jpg

URL=http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/joemayer01/media/image_zps6e986fc7.jpg.html]image_zps6e986fc7.jpg

image_zpsa6aed1f6.jpg

image_zps1810b0e6.jpg

Good to see you posted Ajax - and welcome again.

Yep, pics are visable. It looks like you're on your way to feeling comfortable with the woodwork sides of things.

As far as finishng goes, are you wanting to go more wipe on or spray on - what sort of finishes are you wanting to develop skills in? As in oils, water based, automotive?

The bass above will get 2-3 coats of sanding sealer and then 5 or so coats of nitro. This will be my first attempt at finishing. I have been using a friend of mine who does custom painting and pinstriping for a few years. He has done some really cool stuff for me, but I am finally ready to try my hand at finishing. My spray setup is almost complete, but that one will get rattle canned. That said, I saw a few guitars in a thread that Wes the man did with wipe on poly that I thought looked great. Here is another bass I am working on. Walnut and bubinga through neck. I didn't have any MOP, so I inlayed the fretboard with little walnut football shaped things. Not sure if I like it or not though.

image_zpsc6ee8ded.jpg

image_zps63fbb84a.jpg

These are some mahogany cutoffs that I had lying around the shop that I decided to turn into a strat. I jointed, glued them together and chambered them.

image_zps9f455650.jpg

Glue up.

image_zps687889ec.jpg

image_zps0a0f8069.jpg

My wood order came in the other day, so now it's two strats. This is a slab of swamp ash about to go through the planer.

image_zps4428bc52.jpg

Some template routing and I have two strat bodies ready to go. The chambered mahogany turned out right about the same weight as the swamp ash. The mahogany on is right at 1-3/4", while the ash body is 1-7/8" strong. I left enough for some subtle carving.

image_zpsae20b0f0.jpg

That's all for now.

• Like 1

Fret slotting.

image_zps2d5ee8e2.jpg

This is the first attempt at a finished fretboard with the new radius jig. I did some test boards and everything went good.

image_zps8db6d665.jpg

Chips ahoy and some major tearout.

image_zps4149a130.jpg

Here is why. This bit was brand new. I did two test boards with it and somehow one side of the cutter blew out during the rosewood radius.

image_zps9becc8ec.jpg

It took a lot to post the damage pics. I am a trim/millwork carpenter and we hide our mistakes like dark family secrets.

Plan B is use the test board which is bubinga and came out nice, but a little narrow. So now it will get bound with ipe and dyed black. Hopefully I will get to it this weekend. I have only done one bound fretboard before and I trimmed the tangs on a grinder. It went well and I only had to redo a couple of them. Anyone have a better method besides buying the $80 tang trimmer?

• 3 weeks later...

So, this is my new fretboard to replace the nice rosewood one that was damaged in the radius jig. It was actually the original test board. Here it is with the pearl all cut and being laid out.

image_zps647ebf2c.jpg

Here it is all inlaid with the ipe' binding on it.

image_zpsf45430eb.jpg

image_zpsd76f7614.jpg

For sidetracked the other night and stumbled my into front row for tedeschi trucks band and the black crowes. Great show.

URL=http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/joemayer01/media/image_zps71695fbb.jpg.html]image_zps71695fbb.jpg

Trying out some early morning layout as a hangover cure. Double checking string layout and neck angles before firing up the tools.

image_zpsd4936f5f.jpg

Got the headstock and neck taper cut.

image_zps06b1cbeb.jpg

Here is my neck pocket jig

URL=http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/joemayer01/media/image_zps3339fdeb.jpg.html]image_zps3339fdeb.jpg

And the whole thing dry fit. It took a bit of fine tuning, but a nice tight fit has been achieved.

URL=http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/joemayer01/media/image_zps8e907887.jpg.html]image_zps8e907887.jpg

image_zpsedd793f4.jpg

My goods from stewmac just arrived and I have a day off, so it's out to the shop for some fretting

For sidetracked the other night and stumbled my into front row for tedeschi trucks band and the black crowes. Great show.

I'm a tedeschi trucks fan.....derek trucks, what a slide player!

That looks like some nice tight inlay work. You have what may be the widest fretboard binding I've seen, how wide is that?

SR

Hey Scott, I figured you were a fan of them, from having read bits and pieces of your blues and BBQ thread. Yes Derek is a phenomenal slide player. You ever check out anders Osborne? Another top notch slide player out of New Orleans.

Thanks for the inlay compliment. Doing inlay is one of my favorite part of building. The binding is just over an 1/8", a bit wide.

1/8" doesn't sound too bad, that must be an illusion making it look wider in the pics.

Sure, I'm familiar with Anders Osborne. He often plays with a couple of my favorites, Tab Benoit and Mike Zito. And if you like Louisiana slide, you've got to check out Sonny Landreth.

SR

I know a little tab and sonny, my wife grew up just outside of New Orleans so we are down there a couple times a year. I haven't checked out zito, but I have seen you talk about him in some of your threads. I have a day alone in the shop, so today is the day. I will seek out zito right now.

The binding looks fatter in the pics. It will come down a little more today as I shape the neck.

You like the north Mississippi all stars?

I know a little tab and sonny, my wife grew up just outside of New Orleans so we are down there a couple times a year. I haven't checked out zito, but I have seen you talk about him in some of your threads. I have a day alone in the shop, so today is the day. I will seek out zito right now.

The binding looks fatter in the pics. It will come down a little more today as I shape the neck.

You like the north Mississippi all stars?

I love New Orleans, it's my favorite place to eat in the whole world. I ran a cross a North MIssissippi Allstars cd 6 or 8 years ago, and honestly it didn't do it for me. I have heard about them several times since and suspect I should give them another shot.

While you are seeking out Zito, check out Royal Southern Brotherhood. Mike Zito, Devon Allman, Cyril Neville, Charlie Wooton, and Yonrico Scott (Derek Trucks' old drummer).

Good stuff.

Sounds like you got a good day ahead of you.

SR

Sorry about the double post, can't seem to delete it.

Yes the food there is unbelievable, my brother in law is a chef down there so thanksgiving is quite a culinary treat.

Just was checking out some mike zito, real smooth and clean player. Kinda reminded me of Robert cray.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the finished product. Went with Seymour Duncan everything pups. They sound great. Struggling a bit with the final setup, but I'll get it.

image_zps26a7d7d9.jpg

image_zps25303028.jpg

URL=http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/joemayer01/media/image_zpsd67c9732.jpg.html]image_zpsd67c9732.jpg

URL=http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/joemayer01/media/image_zps0fc30901.jpg.html]image_zps0fc30901.jpg

URL=http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/joemayer01/media/image_zps131aa7a5.jpg.html]image_zps131aa7a5.jpg

Mike Zito is a great guy. Been down the hard road and lived to tell the tale. Got to hang out with him a few years back. Consider him a friend. Same with his bandmate in RSB, Devon Allman. Both practice their craft and love what they do.

Speaking of love what they do, You put some serious love in your guitars. You need to take some pictures of the Nola guitar at Cafe du Monde.

• Like 1

Sounds like a cool guy mike. It's always nice to hang out with someone like that and they are humble and down to earth.

Thanks for the kind words about the guitars, for sure a lot of love goes into them.

Maybe I will drag it along next time we go down there. There are a zillion great spots down there for guitar pics.