KEA 2014 Builds

I also forgot to mention,

About a month ago i stripped the finish off the neck and back of one of my old builds, the guitar i use for playing and the only one i have kept.

It used to play great, but the neck was way too thick. So i decided to thin it down a bit. I had always been worried about carving the neck after it had been fretted and sitting. But after i did that it plays terribly and buzzes across the fretboard, after it used to be the guitar with the lowest action ever. So guess that one will be a scrap/ mantle piece from now on.

I have adjusted the truss rod probably 7 or 8 times already, and it keeps moving like crazy. Before i only had to adjust that neck once a year.

It might work, but right now i just dont have the desire to put more work into something that is relatively pointless.

I have adjusted the truss rod probably 7 or 8 times already, and it keeps moving like crazy. Before i only had to adjust that neck once a year.

It might work, but right now i just dont have the desire to put more work into something that is relatively pointless.

Just curious, did you remove tension on the truss rod before you started reshaping the neck?

I know wood can move a bit when some is removed, but it doesn't seem like a perfectly good neck would be rendered unusable after a little haircut...

• 3 weeks later...

Finally picked up some more wood for my last few builds of the year. I got a wide mahogany board that i thought i coudld get necks out of at hte same time, but it was just a bit too narrow.

Also, after using that unrealistically light mahogany, this stuff is heavier than average, which makes it feel insanely heavy.

Threw a quilted sapele veneer on this one too.

This one will be a 26.2" scale. We'll see how that sounds and feels at C standard tuning.

007_zps1ec660d0.jpg
005_zps4dbb38bd.jpg
004_zps33e14f37.jpg

010_zps692942c9.jpg
009_zps9c27ace7.jpg

Also threw a big bevel into the back.

And here is a test piece with some black/ grey dye. Looks insanely intense. But of course, with an oil finish it looks pale right after it dries.

black003_zps91339e2c.jpg

I have gotten some work done on the first explorer. I decided to try something new with the neck blank. I made it a 9 piece, counting the veneers. Came out kinda cool.

I also used a longer version of my headstock deisgn, the tuners fit better.

I am still deciding on what kind of finish i will do on this. I am still leaning towards oil.

• Like 2

I got the rest of the construction work done on this one. Just glued the neck in now.

glued003_zps9a4c9460.jpg

Like always, i screwed up a few things. I always take the volute area and the heel area down to almost exact thickness before i start carving, so i can connect the two areas. About every other guitar i screw up the thickness. Its always the same thing. Check with caliper, too thick. check with caliper, barley any difference, too thick. check with caliper, .1" too thin. Every time. So the neck on this is probably screwed. It will be thinner at body joint than what it should be at hte first fret. Go me! Cant wait to be done building.

In other news, just glued up another blank.

glued005_zpsabae97ac.jpg

I also dont get how this happened... I drilled the holes for the string ferrules on the back. They were to big for the holes, they are a strange size. So i spent forever finding a bit that would fit them. I found a bit that was just a hair bigger than the previous hole, and of course, now they fit insanely loose, after i couldnt force them in if i tried. So there goes that part. Now i will have to find a way to line up a retainer bar.