Killswitch project, any help would be great!

BJPUC

i have a rather unique, or at least i think it is, killswitch wiring issue. I need to install a killswitch/button, and then a second button to reopen the killed signal. if you like modding, please repond or message me. much appreciated.

thanks!

You need what I think is called a bi-stable switch. I'll try to make a quick drawing and get back to you

Edit: Here you go:

doublekillswitch_zps0e481b7f.jpg

This means that when you have sound any of the two switches will kill the sound and any of the switches will turn it on again. Thats the first thing that comes to my mind. If thats not what you need, try to explain more and also why you need this "odd" configuration, that might help us understand your needs better.

yes that is the idea. i guess i need to know what push buttons i need. i have two simple on/off arcade style switches now. that is the style of switch/button he wants on his guitar. i can successfully kill the signal with the first switch, then i get stuck getting the second to bring back in the signal

I thing the term is latching, switching buttons. Or something like that...

So he wants to hold a button down and then have another that when he pushes reengages the signal?

Or is he wanting the first switch to push and kill then he can use the second to reengage as he pushes it?

Or is he wanting a on button and a off button where the signal stays in the last state commanded?

The first two are simple

1 have a normally open switch and a normally closed switch in serial to ground when he pushes the normally open switch it will ground the signal and kill it the by pushing the normally closed switch would ungrounded the signal.

In case two your normally open switch would need to be latching or a toggle I would use a push pull pot.

Kill switches normally operate by shorting the signal to ground, which gives the quietest operation. Swedish Luthier's suggestion will work but gives you two "normal" positions (both switches up/both switches down) and two "killed" positions (each switch in opposite positions), which may be a little confusing in practice and open to misfires on stage when performance is important.

The OP can perhaps clarify a little, but it sounds to me like he requires one switch to be used exclusively to kill the signal and the second switch is only used to disengage (un-kill?) the kill switch. You want a mechanically interlocked switch assembly - can sometimes be seen on oscillating desk fans where depressing one switch makes the others pop up (OFF/SLOW/FAST).

If this is indeed the required operation the OP is after it may be difficult to achieve using off-the-shelf products. A normal push on-off switch generally cannot be modified to mechanically interlock with an adjacent switch. Companies like C&K and Schadow do make mechanically interlocked pushbutton assemblies, but they will be hard to find. Electronic switching is an option but will be fiddly to execute and may be beyond the scope of the modding of the OPs guitar.

I would consider approaching this electronically. What you seem to have described is an SR flip-flop where the S is for set and R for reset. The two buttons push the state of the circuit into muted ("set") and open ("reset"). The state of the flip-flop controls a simple circuit handling the muting itself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip-flop_%28electronics%29#SR_NOR_latch

This would have the advantage of each switch being able to be a simple inexpensive momentary. There are surely countless ways of making the mute circuit itself, however it is at this point that my electronics becomes too limited. Curtisa will probably have a million of these ideas swimming around. :-)