1st kit build "Phat Strat"

Hi guys,

Thought I'd start a thread for my kit. I'd been thinking of a kit for about a year, couldn't make up my mind between Tele's, Strats. I ended up going with this kit.

http://www.guitarmakersemporium.com.au/product/phat-strat-ash-humbucker-pearl/

The plan was to stain it Surf Green. Then it arrived, and I realised cheap kit body's aren't made of a single piece of wood. Seeing the layout of grain in some parts just would've annoyed me.

The guitar's in it's setup stages now, but I'll sort out my photos for the build diary. (once I work out how to upload them).

Cheers

Pete

Shaping the headstock. I always liked the fat 70's fender design, so I went with that style.

2015-02-16%2020.47.56_zpsbhqwm1gh.jpg

Next was the guitar name. This one is made up of letters from my kid's names.

I went with the pyrography approach. Printed up a stencil, traced it on, and after a few practices, I went to work with my soldering iron.

P1090255_zpsyepjqmbt.jpg

87068a5a-d33b-43e4-ae73-b1821e1b1ed5_zps

2015-03-03%2023.18.42_zpsimndyo4s.jpg

The paint was originally supposed to look like this... Ford Breeze. It's a colour from a 2006 Ford Falcon. (not mine!)

100_6795.jpg

I don't know what happened at the paint shop, but this is what I opened at home... lesson. Check the paint at the shop before leaving!!!

2015-03-13%2011.43.32_zpsz3lfyibc.jpg

I just thought I'd roll with it anyway. Spraypainting is done by my father in law, the one in the family with the compressor and spray gun.

2015-05-30%2011.27.24_zpslyameyom.jpg

We get the idea on the color, sort of. It looks a bit different in every shot. Now you've experienced the absolute hardest part about building guitars---taking pictures of them when they are done! :D

Is that a fine looking car from the 40's in the garage?

SR

We get the idea on the color, sort of. It looks a bit different in every shot. Now you've experienced the absolute hardest part about building guitars---taking pictures of them when they are done! :D

Is that a fine looking car from the 40's in the garage?

SR

Yep, Father in law's 46 Dodge. It's a magnificent thing.

• Like 1

Good to see another Aussie round these parts. Nice job on the kit. The colour is a good choice, even if it wasn't the one you picked to start with!

So when are you going to build your next? :)

The next will be after I get all the loose frets ironed out on this one!

I'll have fun working this one up for the moment before I think about the next one (yep, I've been thinking of the next one).

Okay, before I think about the next one I have to sort out the following.

Replacement nut. Original was plastic, I bought some preslotted off ebay, they're too low., etc etc

Fret issues,

neck cavity shim... it seems to be 1mm higher on the top E string side.

But yeah, once that's done... maybe a firebird, tele, rich, prs, mockingbird, mosrite... it's hard to choose. (but I'm decided on a hardtail).

• 1 month later...

Small update after a while of procrastinating.

I cut a new nut the other week from a blank. Pretty pleased with the outcome, but I think I can lower the slots a tiny bit more. I have plenty of spares if I stuff up.

Went up the neck the other day with some super glue and clamps, in an effort to fix those raised frets. Overall, there's 3 major high points with I've hopefully fixed, but I've got some hobby files ready to go. 

Plugged in it sounds okay, pretty punchy humbucker - seems louder than the single coils - hopefully it's just an issue of pickup height.

That neck looks pretty damn good with the wilder figuring in it! Are those import kits or domestically-produced? I've always been disappointed in the quality of fretwork in import kit necks, however this one seems a lot better so does the fretwork stack up equally? The colour seems to be serendipity! Love it.

Thanks Prostheta,  I love the grain in the wood, It's stained in Wudtone Vintage Yellow.

Going by the price of the kit ($150) it's definitely something out of asia.

Onto the fretwork - it's truly horrible, Probably 30-40% of the frets aren't seated properly. They're if they're not lifting up at the sides, they're lifting up in the middle. For what it's worth, I gave the retailer a bit of feedback/criticism on this (politely - I don't usually go off my nut) Nothing to be done considering the guitar's almost finished.

I just put the guitar back together an hour ago, and my superglue/clamping attempt worked pretty well. There's still a bit of fine tuning, polishing and only one high spot left, but I'm pretty happy. Got friends coming over soon for a bbq so I'll get to fire it up for a guitar battle on Rocksmith!

I think these photos were taken before I oiled the fretboard. When I get a chance, I'll upload some detailed photos of the fretwork. I need to clean up a bit of stray superglue first!!!

• 3 weeks later...

As much as I love the colour, the difference between what I WANT, and what I GOT has always bugged me.... until now.

Just did a search for Ford metallic green's and came up with this, "Meadowvale Green"

Awesome.

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorcodedisplay.cgi?type=sample&ditzler=42344&syear=1960&smanuf=Ford&smodel=Falcon&sname=Meadowvale Green&name=falcon1960M1273