When is a Les Paul not a Les Paul…. A build thread.

48 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Superlative work as always Blackdog!

So clean, so exquisitely detailed and the finishes are perfect.

Damn.

SR

Hi  Scott ! Thanks, but finishes are not really perfect... I still have a long way to go. Definitely the part of the job that can make my life miserable at any given moment...

1 hour ago, Blackdog said:

Hi  Scott ! Thanks, but finishes are not really perfect... I still have a long way to go. Definitely the part of the job that can make my life miserable at any given moment...

Don't I know it!

Regardless, your pictures makes your finish jobs look perfect. It's a real treat to get to see  more of your work again.

SR

On 10/10/2015 at 2:55 AM, Blackdog said:

- Thicker mahogany back, around 1.75”.

- Thinner and harder maple top: 5/8”. Hard-maple might not be so beautifully flamed as big-leaf, but is indeed harder and it has an impact to the sound.

- 59 LP Scale lenght and fret spacing: Rule of 18 based on a 24.75” scale. Thinner fretboard.

- One piece mahogany neck with old style compression rod (Yes, I'll be going old-school with this one. If the neck is well made and the wood is stable there’s no need for a two-way rod. And the old school one means more wood and less steel in the neck: I like the idea of that).

- Steeper tilted back headstock: 17*, and of a new design, with strings fanning out to the tuner posts. Vintage style low mass tuners. I won't be using a volute, but I may try an idea I have for reinforcing the headstock area without betraying the design. We'll see.

- Bridge/pickup positions geometry like on a 59 LP

Wow so many things are the same as the LP I'm currently building. Thicker Mahogany, thinner Maple, Rule of 18. I can't remember what I was doing in 2015 but I could be accused of lifting your ideas LOL!