my first attempt :) mesquite top maple bottom

4 hours ago, mjrbuzz said:

well my planning fell a little short... I went to do a final mock up and drill the string through holes and figured out that my drill press doesn't have enough length to fit the guitar in there to drill the holes. trying now to locate a larger drill press or order a bridge that loads from the top. any tricks or tips would be a great help hahah

Here's a top-loading hardtail bridge that looks a lot like what you are using. And not too hard on the ol' wallet.

Also, it is coming along beautifully. 

1 hour ago, Guitaraxz said:

Those are some boxes the humbuckers came in! They look superb. What are they, hand made, custom?

Personally  I have a collection of pickups, just like some people like guitars some people like pickups. Let us know, let us know!

I really was shooting blind on the pickups as I don't know anything about electric guitars... I am learning on the fly! I bought them from Guitar fetish they are their Slick 'Old Shoool" pickups with a faux distressed look to them. will tell ya more when I get them plugged in :)

• Like 1

The only concern you need to have is lining up the rear string-through ferrules accurately. Personally I would put a piece of masking tape over the area where you want to locate them, draw the line and subdivide it, then centre-punch each hole by hand. As long as the centre punching is good and accurate, the drills should follow them cleanly. Even doing them using a hand drill is an option, as long as you keep everything square and secure. Just make sure that your drills have a good point in the middle so they locate firmly before the spurs engage around the wood. A pillar drill is the preferred option, but that's not always on the table. Perhaps you know somebody else that might have a larger drill that could help out?

I guess you know that you should drill halfway through from both sides rather than straight through? It sounds patronising when I have to ask, but neglectful if I don't.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mjrbuzz said:

well my planning fell a little short... I went to do a final mock up and drill the string through holes and figured out that my drill press doesn't have enough length to fit the guitar in there to drill the holes. trying now to locate a larger drill press or order a bridge that loads from the top. any tricks or tips would be a great help hahah

I ran with the same problem in my last build... what I did was taking a remain from the body cut and drill the holes there with the press drill, then I've used that as a guide to make the final holes with a common drill... not sure if I've explained well. Anyway, it worked very well, at least here.

• Like 2

It's a good option. You're not restricted to just using wood scraps though. Having drilled craploads of ultra-high density molecular weight polyethylene (PE1000, UHMWPE) the last few weeks, I think engineering plastics have a lot to offer. Specifically, if you're using a spotting/centre drill bit in a pre-drilled template the flutes shouldn't bear against the template itself. Once the locations are marked they can be opened out without a template. It's all about getting them lined up cleanly and reliably.

10 hours ago, Prostheta said:

It's a good option. You're not restricted to just using wood scraps though. Having drilled craploads of ultra-high density molecular weight polyethylene (PE1000, UHMWPE) the last few weeks, I think engineering plastics have a lot to offer. Specifically, if you're using a spotting/centre drill bit in a pre-drilled template the flutes shouldn't bear against the template itself. Once the locations are marked they can be opened out without a template. It's all about getting them lined up cleanly and reliably.

well I got it done with a mixture of your suggestions, I had a drill press kinda thing that hooks to a cordless drill. marked from both sides and drilled half way through from each. It worked out beautifully, i'll try to put some pictures up a lil later. thank you all for your suggestions and help this far!!

Those pesky string through holes! I don't use a drill press. I usually make a template to guide the drill, and do it from the back so I can keep the ferrules aligned. I drill a shallow hole that the shoulder of the ferrule can bear on, and then drill a smaller chase to the bridge. 

Your guitar is looking great. I think the mesquite is crying out for an organic finish. Go with the oil.

Oil is just a fantastic idea for any wood with rising/falling grain. Sometimes you get large clouds in Birch for example. Not immediately grand figuring, but large areas of chatoyance that burnish out and pop with oil.

My new bench just got its first coat of raw linseed oil last night and it exploded. I think 3-4 coats will be enough before it stops drinking it. I might make a final pass of linseed/varnish/mineral oil mix.

20160218_194332.thumb.jpg.6626cc605b77e7

That Mesquite should pop really nicely with oil. You can go more complex than that though....raw linseed takes a week or two to fully cure and not many finishes will go over the top....you can however French polish an oil finish as the shellac happily sticks to oiled wood and is a perfect interstitial layer. After that you can shoot a clear or a toner over the shellac....the rabbit hole goes really deep!

• Like 2

It's fragile as a final finish since it is the basis for French polishing. A great finish, but not one for abuse or exposure to water. Shellac sticks to most things (and vice versa) so it's wonderful as a layer between layers. If Danish oil is too coloured for your taste, try a different oil. Safflower is very neutral from what I recall. Boiled linseed is slightly darker than cold-pressed. Poppy and Walnut work; as long as the oil goes through polymerisation (cures) you're good. You can even make up your own wiping oil varnish from these ingredients. 

• 1 month later...