my first attempt :) mesquite top maple bottom

Hey man, looks good. Already have an idea on what pickups you'll put in?

And I'm still messing around customizing stuff in stead of building from scratch ( which is on my list ) to learn stuff so don't feel bad about not building yourself a neck! you can Always do that with the next one.

good luck!

• Like 1

I think starting a first build with a bought neck is a very sound approach.  It's one less steep climb on the learning curve and you will learn lots and lots, with a better chance of a problem free build and preparing the ground ready for the next one :D

It's looking really good, by the way :)

Andy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 10pizza said:

Hey man, looks good. Already have an idea on what pickups you'll put in?

And I'm still messing around customizing stuff in stead of building from scratch ( which is on my list ) to learn stuff so don't feel bad about not building yourself a neck! you can Always do that with the next one.

good luck!

I ordered some slick "old school" pickups from guitar fetish, I was really shooting blind when I ordered them tho I did read one pretty good review.  Still trying to decide on the tuners. any suggestions would be really helpful.

• Like 1

I've always wanted to use mesquite in a build. I've carved it a couple of times and the stuff is gorgeous when finished. Makes a brisket smoke up mighty tasty too! Plus the stuff grows like weeds around here. I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out, and hearing about how it sounds.

SR

It doesn't grow very straight or tall at least as compared to trees normally used for timber. the trunk does get thick enough to get some timber from, but it is twisted and corrugated and full of bark inclusions ....... and the various things that account for "character". The hardwood shop I go to locally has a good selection of mesquite slabs 10 or 12 feet long for mantles or tables. So pieces suitable for a guitar top exist. What with the burls and things we're making tops out of these days, a mesquite top full of "character" would not be out of place I think.

And MJRBUZZ  found a nice piece for this top after all.

SR

Thank you all for the kind words and the encouragement!! We are over grown with mesquite down here in about Texas, I was pretty happy to have a chunk that was big enough. I wish I woulda had a band saw to get the bookmatch closer but all I had was a table saw and a sawzall... I am currently waiting on the pickups and a router bit to arrive before I go any further but here is a photo with one coat of Danish oil on :)

ll.jpg

Edited by mjrbuzz

32 minutes ago, Prostheta said:

I can't keep brisket out of my head now! Instrument codename? This is where you tell us you're a vegetarian, leaving us conflicted. 

Mesquite looks really warm. That glowing Koa kind of warm. Does it produce burl much, or flame?

mesquite is a beautiful wood, it does burl and can have a lot of figure, this piece is really neither but I like it the same :) I am really conflicted whether to put a lacquer on it or just leave it with an oil finish it is very "warm" feelin right now.

veggies? that's what cows turn into fajitas aren't they?

Also I am debating on replacing the stock tele control plate with one made of a piece of texas ebony a friend of mine gave me as well as turning some knobs outta the same. I really am having a great time with this project!!

*edit

codename mesquito-caster if it hasn't been formally taken

Edited by mjrbuzz
  • Like 1

I was thinking it was it was even related to Koa.....and it is in the same family but it is not an acacia as I thought. It does have a lot of really nice feather crotch figure.

Texas ebony is another local wood I have always wanted to use. I do have a Texas ebony bonsai that I started from a seed.

And desert ironwood! Not from Texas but from right next door. I'd love to have some of that.

SR

hey guys/gals, I got another question for ya. I hope this is the right forum to ask it in. I was wondering if all the pots are the same dia. as far as the spline part, and if you think they sell a cheap-o one at radio shack that I can destroy to put in the drill chuck on my lathe. while I am waiting for parts I thought I could turn my knobs. Thank you for any input ya got on it.

For the most part the two main styles are coarse and fine splining. CTS use fine splines over 24 teeth (15°) whilst almost everybody else uses coarse at 20° which is 18 tooth. Oddball makers such as Aria used a weird number back in the 80s which is why Matsumoku fans are always cruising for knobs in online classifieds.

well my planning fell a little short... I went to do a final mock up and drill the string through holes and figured out that my drill press doesn't have enough length to fit the guitar in there to drill the holes. trying now to locate a larger drill press or order a bridge that loads from the top. any tricks or tips would be a great help hahah