Ibanez sz redo

I usually go with 9 - 12, but some of that is filling pores. Yours is all sealed up tight so you could get away with less. I fear sanding through when leveling so am inclined to err on the side of heavy. Nitro keeps shrinking for nearly a month, so what looks thick and heavy wet will end up being much thinner, especially after you've leveled it.

SR

Alrighty, I'll keep going then just to be safe. On my seafoam green s series I literally sprayed 2 coats of nitro, let it sit for 2 weeks and put it all back together. I'd really like to get a more professional finish with this one. 

My co worker is going to let me borrow his compressor so I'll be able to do it at home from here on out, I've got a bunch of welding to do at my second job so I'll probably only get to spray one coat a night but I'm in no rush. 

Make sure the compressor is clean and dry in the tank; if you don't have an oil filter and dessicator (AFAIR) in the line then you might be spraying damp or contaminated air. Water condenses in the tank out of the air and oil often creeps into the line since it's used to lubricate the pump.

Many portable compressors won't have those filters, but all should have a valve to flush the tank. Using that will get the bulk of the moisture out.  You can spray some air onto a clean white cloth prior to shooting to check if your line is clean.

I normally put enough nitro in the hopper to shoot one wet coat, sip a beer for 15 minutes and then shoot another each night. The coating would be done by the weekend that way.

SR

Yeah this one doesn't seem to have any filter on it. I will double check that my line is clean before shooting. 

I had a mishap on the neck that I'm gonna have to fix before going any further. I had a run that I stupidly tried to fix while it was still wet, 

and I just bought a case of beer on the way home Scott, so I like your thinking. 

image.jpeg

On February 16, 2016 at 9:21 AM, ScottR said:

Many portable compressors won't have those filters, but all should have a valve to flush the tank. Using that will get the bulk of the moisture out.  You can spray some air onto a clean white cloth prior to shooting to check if your line is clean.

I normally put enough nitro in the hopper to shoot one wet coat, sip a beer for 15 minutes and then shoot another each night. The coating would be done by the weekend that way.

SR

How much lacquer would you say you use in coating a guitar? I feel like I'm using a heck of a lot, I'm 6 coats in right now and I've already shot about 3/4 of  a 1 quart can. Is that about normal?

On another note, my attempt at trying to fix my screw up on the neck didn't work at all! Oh well at least it's on the back and at least smooth now. 

Its strange the difference in color, I did the same amount of primer coats and same amount of color coats but there is a noticeable difference here. I did use a new can so maybe they just did something wrong when mixing it. 

image.jpeg

12 hours ago, 2.5itim said:

How much lacquer would you say you use in coating a guitar? I feel like I'm using a heck of a lot, I'm 6 coats in right now and I've already shot about 3/4 of  a 1 quart can. Is that about normal?

Yeah, that's about right. I usually add about 10% thinner to the mix so I may get a couple of more coats out of that much. The last coat or two is a 50/50 mix. When I call it done I usually have about a half inch left in the bottom of a quart can.

SR