Second Build

Yeah, I've read the same kind of things too. The alternative to dyeing the wood directly is to shoot toner coats over the top after the wood is sealed. Some woods can be very blotchy, such as Birch for example. I'm not sure if there is a 100% reliable method of fixing it, however I know fine woodworkers tend to use conditioners, certainly. How they work or what they contain isn't something I've looked into. Perhaps look up their MSDS? :thumb:

9 hours ago, SIMpleONe89 said:

I was contemplating spraying some transparent brown or black around the edges, because the dyed burst is pretty uneven due to the grain of the maple not absorbing as much in some areas. This left me with a few dark areas on the upper horns and lower curves. But the cool thing is when viewed in different light, the brown burst can be visible, just that the dark patches make it look really uneven.

I figured out the best way was to live with it and appreciate the beauty of the figure. I don't want to mess it up since I've come a long way. 

I don't view that as a fault, I see it as additional figure. The darkest areas are all bookmatched too, and that is a rare thing. This top has more variety of figure than any I've seen in quite some time and I love it!

SR

• Like 1

Thanks Scott! I've learned to appreciate the beauty of the bookmatched figure.

Ok the weather has been kind to me the past few days, so I managed to complete all the clear coats. I used a total of 3.5x400ml cans of clear and from past experience that should be more than enough. I normally used 3 of the same cans for previous projects, but hopefully this is enough and I won't get sand throughs! 

Now I'll have to wait minimum of 2 weeks, but I'll wait till I finish my next project. By then it should be sufficiently cured. 
38066304-2897-4309-9fcb-39dcc78ce2a6_zps
IMG_20160608_092433_zpsdd7stxbh.jpg
IMG_20160608_092424_zps2cg257mq.jpg
IMG_20160608_092419_zps20g9girg.jpg

Its going to need a lot of levelling though, so major attention in preventing sandthroughs is a must. I'd let it cure for a good while, scuff sand and bury the decals a bit more. It gets hella expensive with rattlecans though. I'm sure you're not entirely wanting to buy any more of them....

The acrylic clear might stay a bit plastic-y for a while yet. Like @ScottR rightly says, a light scuffing of the surface prior to laying down final coats will open up the skinned surface and allow it to degas better. A harder cure (drying in the case of acrylic) is paramount, so if you can get that now by breaking the skin and finishing it up a week after or something, fantastic.

Yes I was worried about sanding through especially on the back. I didn't do any level sanding in between because I thought in the end all layers will fuse and I can just sand at one go.

I already put about ten layers above the decal and previous experience tells me that's enough.

So what should I do? Wait a bit longer and wet sanding carefully? Or wet sand in a week and lay more coats? I should've done some leveling in between. All I did was sand off dust and drips.  

Depends on how the solvents have built up inside. If they're trapped it leads to the usual softness people associate with acrylic. This is why I highlighted Scott's tip about scuffing the surface to break the skin. It's all about how the application allowed outgassing between layers, and unfortunately that's only a question you can answer through feel. I'm very conservative with drying times because I can be. Which brand did you use?

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

Depends on how the solvents have built up inside. If they're trapped it leads to the usual softness people associate with acrylic. This is why I highlighted Scott's tip about scuffing the surface to break the skin. It's all about how the application allowed outgassing between layers, and unfortunately that's only a question you can answer through feel. I'm very conservative with drying times because I can be. Which brand did you use?

I'm using a local automotive acrylic http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Aerosol-Paint-Acrylic-Clear-400g.aspx?pid=288522#Recommendations

I've been using these for three years and have had great results. The guitars I finished them with are still holding up and they're quite scratch durable. 

The thing is I've used it for 2 projects with solid colours and 3 cans were more than enough (body and neck) and I had no sand throughs. The last time I did a stain using this was a year ago on an ash body. I can't remember how many cans I used but I remember it was a pain leveling out the ash body but I had no sand throughs. 

So I'm partly confident that if I wait long enough, maybe a month until my next project is finished, the finish would have cured by then and I can buff it to a high gloss. But looking at the mahogany body it is very uneven (partly because I didn't level sand in between coats) and fingers crossed I don't get a sand through. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just spent the whole day wet sanding and buffing the body. My arms are so sore right now. 

IMG_20160625_161643_zpsdv3opkqk.jpg
IMG_20160625_161711_zpskbczehev.jpg
IMG_20160625_161724_zpsyhgp5y8x.jpg
IMG_20160625_161738_zps0gwduqja.jpg

I'll leave it for a few days before assembling. I'll do the neck tomorrow.

The mahogany was a pain to wet sand. I probably didn't grain fill enough and I had a few shiny low spots which I couldn't level out. I could continue wet sanding and level them out but I risk sanding through and I think the latter is worse. I already accepted it isn't perfect but it's good enough for me!

• Like 4

Thanks guys.

Got the neck done today.
IMG_20160626_105416_zpswtpihm2u.jpg
IMG_20160626_105408_zpsd6kpppxl.jpg

But in my excitement, I accidentally knocked the headstock against the table and this happened...
IMG_20160626_105332_zpsownwaymb.jpg
IMG_20160626_105323_zpsujvscyus.jpg

After much cursing and swearing, I've decided to fix this. I don't think it will be hard to touch up. I repaired dings and chips before but the fact that I destroyed it just after making it perfect just made me really sad. :( Don't think I'll be able to get it perfect again but some drop fills with lacquer or even super glue should do the trick. I think the dye is still in the wood. 

Edited by SIMpleONe89

Some more shots of both the neck and body. I think I may have to re-sand some low shiny areas on the body.
IMG_20160626_105908_zpsgiyg1a2a.jpg
IMG_20160626_105913_zpsdez3un1z.jpg
IMG_20160626_105920_zpsrjbxyvof.jpg
IMG_20160626_105927_zpsmsgyklq0.jpg

IMG_20160626_105937_zpskb1nsmyd.jpg
IMG_20160626_105849_zpswv16yyun.jpg
IMG_20160626_105840_zpskgtxxv5v.jpg

Apart from that stupid chip and some low spots on the mahogany back, I think I'm pretty satisfied with this rattle can job. This is probably the best high gloss finish I've ever done. It only took me 6 tries hahaha.

• Like 1

Looks great, I love the dying in the neck... that chip is totally fixable, it just need more time. If you've used nitro in the finish, it will be easier than you expect.

Hitting the guitar while polishing.., I don't think there's somebody here in the forum who never did it. :D

• Like 2