Refinishing my first build- going cheap costs more in the end

I finished this one about a year and a half ago. To save a buck I bought cheap rattle cans of "lacquer is lacquer".  It was a nightmare of Deft, Valspar(Lowes) black lacquer, blushing, sandthroughs, and not enough beer to wash away the pain. So even after all this time, I pulled it out and there were imprints of the case fabric all over it and the strap that wrapped around the neck completely melted through the finish . That killed me because it plays like a dream (yes, I'm tooting my own horn dangit) but it was looking so crappy.

I'm attempting a jewel blue with Reranch silver and the same blue I sprayed on my Orion.

This stripper worked very well and the stripper wash(sounds so naughty) cleaned up the rest. It was pretty pain free. What was awesome is the stripper attracted at least 20 flies that landed on it and died. That was very rewarding! So next time you have a fly problem, spray some cheap lacquer and stripper in a jar and watch the magic happen!

IMG_2141.jpgIMG_6985.JPGIMG_6986.JPGIMG_6987.JPG

Edited by Zack

So, after not learning my lesson 3 times in a row, I finally ignored the instructions and used nearly and entire can of sanding sealer and make 1000% sure I filled and sanded every possible imperfection out. Then I hit it with Reranch nitro primer and sanded it with 400 to silky smoothness. Next came the silver which is a little trick, especially from a can.

IMG_6995.JPGIMG_6997.JPGIMG_6999.JPGIMG_7002.JPGIMG_7003.JPGIMG_7004.JPG

On another note, does anyone else have these little bugs that flock to fresh lacquer?IMG_7001.JPG:

Edited by Zack

Wow, that stripper does work. That is the most dissolved paint I think I've ever seen. And the fly tip is good too.

AS far as bugs being attracted to lacquer, ResorationAD used to note that rather frequently. He's got a collection of guitars with bugs suspended in clear coat.

Silver looks good.....and yet it seems to be gone in that last shot?

SR

17 minutes ago, ScottR said:

Silver looks good.....and yet it seems to be gone in that last shot?

SR

Yeah, it turned into snot. Pretty nasty but made short work of it. The last shot was me trying to photo those little bugs that come from out of nowhere.

30 minutes ago, ScottR said:

It does.

Is your logo a decal or something else entirely? That would be a crazy complex inlay......in paint no less.

SR

It's a chrome mirror vinyl decal. It's funny you mention that because I had one cut to inlay in the Orion. After a few practice attempts, I admitted defeat and ordered decals. DePaule did a fantastic job cutting it!

image.jpeg

Edited by Zack
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think we have a winner! It's the best finish I've pulled off yet. The flaws are pretty minimal. I will say that the primer, silver flake, and top coats don't melt into a seamless lacquer even though they are all lacquer based. Primarily the sliver and primer create a weak point and I had a pretty nasty chip when sliding the switch into the body. Am I going to show my lackluster patch job? Heck no! I like this angle too much!

IMG_1139 (1).jpg

Edited by Zack
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...