New Builds, Gonna Try A Spalted Maple Neck......Uh Oh

Another couple of new builds coming up. BOTH are made of a SOLID PIECE of figured maple, no tops, no backing woods, nothing. One will be multiscale according to my custom scale length, the other will be regular scale of my design. Necks and fretboards will be made from this SWEET piece of Spalted maple. Both will be carved tops as well. Way cool I think!
What are your thoughts?

14141905_674032616078886_3273937370887764809_n.jpg

14196009_674032629412218_2546045061904832718_o.jpg

14115502_674033796078768_8256375348257310476_o.jpg

Beautiful pieces of timber, but I'd be seriously concerned about using spalted wood for necks and fretboards, as spalted is another word for decaying.

You, of course have been doing this long enough to know that, so obviously there is some plan to account for that . Care to share?

SR

My plan......granted this is my plan. Is to put carbon rods to reinforce, as well as soak the neck in CA glue or an epoxy. Spalted maple is use for tops and those have string pressure pulling on them too. So, yeah it might be a massive failure, but it might be a massive success too. 

I mean look at spalted top acoustics, they have string pressure in the bridge area with just a bookmatched piece of thin spalt for the top. So I can't see it being THAT structurally unsound. 

I thought spalted meant it had a fungal infection and was rotting, but you eliminate the fungii and it should cease that. correct? Maybe explore that avenue. 

Well I was cutting the spalted board down and processed it into 2 neck blanks and 4 fretboard blanks. Fretboards seem like no problem. Just soak them in CA (Avoid the fumes) and should be good to go. 

This is where it gets to the point. The 2 neck blanks, they just didnt FEEL tough enough to me. So I got one and did my stand test on it, Which is what I do with ALL my neck blanks, stand on them and if they survive my weight they pass. Never had a single board break.

Until today. So now I have 10 fretboard blanks and some cavity covers and headplates lol. 

I have some nice curly katalox I will be using for the necks, this spalt is NOT going to work. I was having hopes and dreams I got a good enough piece, but no, just no. 

Forgive the color on the bodies, I am just bullshitting around seeing if I want to stain then, but I think I will just leave them natural. 

So, I have decided on using a natural body, spalted fretboard, and a katalox neck. The board I had of katalox has some nice ribbon to it and some flame, but man was it heavy. 

fgRrgUI.gif

pUJhQXN.gif

I'd never used spalted wood on anything that requires strength and stiffness. Reinforcement doesn't add back in the strength that the material loses. The only way to "recover" the strength is by infusing the wood, such as acrylising it. Larry at Gallery Hardwoods has been doing that since ProjectGuitar.com was still young....unsure whether it would penetrate pieces as thick as a neck blank though.