cnc rebuild

MiKro

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

Am I right in thinking that parallel port driven machines are still king?

Yes, no, maybe, The problem is it is becoming harder to find a PC with a P Port. That being said yes a PCIe card can be added. Problem is that the newer OSs do not play well with some of the controller software some will not work 64bit OS.

So, even though the breakout boards for P Port still work, it is best to use a newer machine, using the USB or Ethernet port as the connection to a controller board that connects to the Breakout board. This allows a much broader and cleaner frequency response for the step pulses.

MK

Nicely described Mike. I see a lot of people using Raspberry Pi's (I have a couple) and other powerful development boards as the basis for CNC controllers. That approach appeals to me since the board works solely on that one function, whereas lack PC CNC operators browse the Internet for "entertainment purposes" during long cycles and then wonder why the machine gips or drops a bollock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prostheta said:

Nicely described Mike. I see a lot of people using Raspberry Pi's (I have a couple) and other powerful development boards as the basis for CNC controllers. That approach appeals to me since the board works solely on that one function, whereas lack PC CNC operators browse the Internet for "entertainment purposes" during long cycles and then wonder why the machine gips or drops a bollock.

That's why you use a dedicated  PC for cnc. Raspberrys are used but not very capable of handling large code, larger machines and limited in frequency. Also not much support for them.

It does, doesn't it? This week we discovered all of the dirty secrets that our former employee left us. Like a spray gun jammed up with catalysed paint. And another one jammed full of water-based paint. Then six months worth of work where we suspect that he'd been using up to ten times the manufacturer's recommendation for acid catalyst.

Shit happens. It really shouldn't though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well i was going to post a Vid but it won't let me. Wont take a WMV or AVI file.

I have made some progress, have my X and Y axis working now. It's fantastic. Much more speed and much tighter tolerances. Still have some wiring to do and also get Z axis working. SOON!!! :)

MK

Nice one, Mike. You and I seem to have used a lot of similar electrickery components. I see a lot of familiar-looking parts in your control box.

I'm within a hair-breadth of completing mine too. Just need to fit up the Z-axis limit switches and I'll be ready to destroy some endmills.

• Like 1

@curtisa I understand, man this upgrade is kicking my butt. It will be worth it though. I went from 240maxipm to an easy 500ipm rapids. LOL!!! Accuracy is way better as well as far as I have measured so far.

Oh one thing if yo are using Kelling 5056 Step drivers check the docs those form Autotechnologies and others are wrong for the DIP switches. They are using 1 as OFF and 0 as ON. It is ass backwards. :)

Yep have to make some edits. I ordered the software and they sent me the wrong damn codes. I use Windows and they sent me MAC stuff.  It wont work. Now to get that worked out. LOL

MK

OKay the vid should be correct now Now to get these bastards to get me the correct license crap.

Damn, she moves quick. Hope your stand is nice and rigid. The inertia in those rapids will shake the machine off the table!

I'm not getting anywhere near those speeds (I'm limited by the capabilities of my parallel port, can't remember exact rates but I think I max out at 100ipm), but my machine is probably less than half your size so I'm happy with what I can get away with.

What's the little ethernet board you have in the lower-right of your control box?

2 hours ago, curtisa said:

Damn, she moves quick. Hope your stand is nice and rigid. The inertia in those rapids will shake the machine off the table!

I'm not getting anywhere near those speeds (I'm limited by the capabilities of my parallel port, can't remember exact rates but I think I max out at 100ipm), but my machine is probably less than half your size so I'm happy with what I can get away with.

What's the little ethernet board you have in the lower-right of your control box?

Table is not moving as you can see no vibration anywhere.  The machine is about 350 lbs now with more weight coming, it's mounted to the table and the table is mounted to the concrete.

:) the ethernet board is an ESS Smoothstepper.