Dark sounding woods

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

We need many more details.

What kind of tops, what are you building with it, what types of guitars.

Typically, a quartersawn softer tonewood is used for the top of an archtop or acoustic, Spruce, Redwood, Koa, Cedar...with the harder wood used on the bottom/sides...Maple typically, Mahogony, Walnut, Cherry, Myrtle, etc...so when you say you have Cherry tops, I think you will be putting softer woods on the back(?), but I don't know what kind of guitars you're building...are you doing solidbodies?

The top of an acoustically-oriented guitar is really the sound and tone producer, with the back and sides and bracing adding the 'coloring' to what the top produces initially...they are the 'coloring' agents.

Yes, hollowing it out does make a difference, but you have to hollow out a substantial bit before you really notice anything tonewise...if your tops are 1/4" or thicker, no bracing is usually needed. Any thinner, you might think about bracing.

But it's all about what you're building, what type of tone you're trying to achieve, what characteristics you're shooting for...

Just to say you have some Cherry tops doesn't give me very much to go on... :D

I have read from a few (relatively) reliable sources that black walnut (not claro but black) is supposed to have a very dark tone. There is a 2x12x10ft board that's been in my garage for the last 25 yrs or so, and It will become (in part) a bass hopefully by summer, but its tap tone is really... well, dark!

• 2 weeks later...

odd, i've found alder rather strong, it's one of the harder woods for it's weight ... i'd dropped my alder bodie a couple of times on the concrete floor in my shop and my heart nearly stoped, but then i picked it up and not a crack to be found, the second time, someone else dropped it (must be cursed) and there was only a minor dent in the arm rest cause there was a peice of metal on the ground where it hit... anyways that was easily sanded out....

Ramparts says this:

Tonal Signature: High Velocity of sound. This readily available wood highlights the treble and lightens the lower midrange and bass, even more than Basswood. There is a slight emphasis in the lower treble and the middle midrange. "Great for Piercing through the Muddy Waters" Another good wood for chambered body-tops!

thats for poplar.

Thjis is alder:

Tonal Signature: Relatively a light-weight hardwood, thin - mid range sound. Resonates in the middle treble area.

This is Basswood:

Tonal Signature: This light-weight hardwood sounds thin when replacing wood types with the same mid-bass emphasis (a size phenomenon). It resonates (enhances) in the upper treble area; it sounds recessed in the lower and upper mids. Basswood does not sound BASSY, has no Bass in it except in its Name....!

zebrawood, purple heart? maybe a bit of korina, that's the best i could find scouring ramparts,

Maybe try combining woods that have alot of bass responce with woods that have tons of treb and avoid woods with any enhanced mids'

that might give you the scooped mids for a "dark" sound???

i duno, just use an eq on the guitar and the right pickups? lol

Well, I am getting that poplar anyway. Its cheap, and I think my MIM strat is poplar. Its tone is well balanced and its worth a shot. I also have some mahogany quilted cherry and FLAMED purpleheart coming in on friday. Yes derek, I will show you. Its not top worthy, but the best figure in PH I have ever seen.