Project: Earthstone

10 hours ago, Prostheta said:

Salty conversations, woo! Anyway. Not sure if SD covers are special, however the wider trembucker pole spacing is needed. I've no idea why wide spacing isn't the standard rather than the exception any more. But hey. The other option on the table is a set of Fluence Classics. Not my first choice since I really dig the SD Custom Custom's VH type of crunch and feel, and the 59 in the neck. I'm sure these can be dialled in to produce similar feels from the instrument they're fitted to, even if not the same specific tone. Feel means a lot, but the tone produces that mental feedback loop if that makes sense.

Having the pickups on the bench makes a huge difference in making the pickup rings. I'd rather manufacture them from the physical item, however I'm certain that Fishman's dimension specs are on the nose.

well, i dunno if it helps... but I believe trembuckers are 50mm and you can get 49.2, 50 and 52mm all over evilbay/amazon/etc (if yer not concerned about your tone molecules).  I don't have any trembuckers, but have bought 49.2 spaced covers and they work fine on my 59s.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, well between then and now my mind has set on Fluence Classics for this. From what I can divine, the pole spacing is good for this application and the case size is identical between both units. That simplifies a few things, especially the pickup rings.

After playing around with a few ideas, I settled on a simple design like so:

pickup rings 1.jpg

The trick here is in cutting the internal space. I decided to break out the router bushings for this one as the cut depth can be introduced slightly so as not to excite the wood into partying where it shouldn't.

So what we're looking at here is internal R4 corners cut using an 8mm bit.

pickup rings 2.jpg

The smallest guide bushing I have that an 8mm cutter passes through is 7/16ths OD and 11/32nds ID. So we take the 71mm and 38,9mm and add in the difference between the cutter diameter and bushing OD, which is around 3,1mm. So, making a template with an internal area of 74,1mm x 42,1mm (there's a bit of rounding going on here if you work internally to more than one decimal place) is what I need.

The I'll do this is to make one template sized to hold the pickup ring blank. Set over this is the template for the guide bushing.

pickup rings 3.jpg

I cut an old piece of "interesting" 8mm Pau Ferro into 90 x 45mm blanks, plus a bunch of plywood into the template stock. Here's the two glued up, with spacers.

IMG_20200621_182412.jpg

IMG_20200621_182426.jpg

Welcome to Mount Clampington. Keep your hands in the vehicle at all times, don't feed the animals, etc.

IMG_20200621_185619.jpg

Unfortunately, these pickup rings are going to need to wait until we've moved to the new house. The router and guide bushings are already packed up. Until next time!

Oh yes, the rest of the design....

The front profile of the rings has a R10 curve out to the edges. This begins at the point where the internal cutouts end. Similarly, the long edges tend in towards the corners with a R15 curve. I imagine that I'll make some sort of router jig to knock off the corners and do the top curve against a router fence. A problem for the future!