Couple of Small Jobs

40 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

And the owner is very pleased

Who wouldn't? If you know one I'll send my 92 yo mother to teach him(her) some manners after Rona has left the building.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ScottR said:

That came out lovely Andy! How did you clean up the excess glue? Sandpaper?

And does that thing have a carbon fiber neck?

SR

Thanks! 

Yes - Status have made their business around carbon fibre necks.  They've been around for quite some time and have quite a loyal following.  Their early offerings were no truss rod but later models offer them.  This one was trussrod-less and played beautifully.

Glue-wise, yes, you just sand along the edge and the curve of the body creates the smooth line and shape of the veneer overlay for free :)

I mentioned that this was my first try with titebond used in this way.  Actually, for sureness of the bond, this was less sure than the more PVA based wood glue I usually use.  

But for sanding off - especially as the veneer tapers to nothing at the edge - was easier with Titebond because it dries harder.  The PVA dries with a more rubbery character and so is less easy to fully clear at the edges.

I don't do much veneering nowadays, but Titebond do actually do a cold veneer glue.  I will get a bottle at some stage and see how it fares with the iron on method but in the meantime will return to my preferred PVA. :)

• Like 1

So the other small job?

A pickup conversion on an Ibanez bass body from two soap bars to a passive P-J arrangement so filling and routing for the pickups and filling the battery box chamber.

With basses, you always need the actual pickups before you start - especially with Jazz pickups.  There is no such thing as a 'standard size' Jazz pickup.  Even Fender Jazz pickups can be different to Fender Jazz pickups.  So if someone tells you 'Yeah, it's OK.  It's a drop-in replacement' just hit them with a plank and then ask them to reconsider what they just said :lol:

Happily Dan, the owner. was able to send me the pickups he wanted fitting and the bridge too, so I could line up properly.

I took off the corners and edges of the original pickup routs to make it easier for Dan to achieve an invisible overspray.  I remembered to notch the bottoms of the mahogany blocks to allow access to the new cable runs:

_MG_1231.thumb.JPG.53c6d24f37388380ab82e2c78189b031.JPG

Then fitted, glued, planed and sanded the top blocks:

_MG_1236.thumb.JPG.1624a98799714fb6566136e64470b50c.JPG

I pencilled in the string runs and aligned the pickup covers to suit:

_MG_1241.thumb.JPG.282abd842bc31f21daee6717151acc77.JPG

_MG_1242.thumb.JPG.a1944483746b9be26ffde1a4d8969945.JPG

The - because you know I hate using router templates ;) - started with the lugs and corners:

_MG_1244.thumb.JPG.fb33bb7d812f46da7e3e60d3f6a616a8.JPG

_MG_1246.thumb.JPG.bcdeb9fe5278e268af9a0b290f42ad3a.JPG

Then used a forstner to hog out:

_MG_1250.thumb.JPG.75b38c672e77601db6306a4301c1d048.JPG

Tidied up the edges with a chisel and then just used a top bearing trimmer router bit to get the chambers to their final depths.

Double check that they all fitted:

_MG_1251.thumb.JPG.5713b606476ea594c3b4a6ad2fe11869.JPG

...and finished off putting a block in the old battery box chamber:

_MG_1255.thumb.JPG.e4ac390e1e6e8f1eedebe4a930aad3ae.JPG

He's promised he'll send me a pic of the repainted and reassembled bass :)

And the next thing on the list after a respectable amount of decorating and shed repair is

the Guitar Bouzouki!!!!

Timbers already ordered and excitement growing :)

• Like 3