Carvin X100B Repair (done)

MiKro

I got the wires in place for the push pull pots. All color coded so I can use lugged P/P pots, what a PITA. Need to clean up the joints some but I am much happier now.

mk

wires2ppots.jpg

And for Carl, You can see the silicone on the caps now. :) I also replaced the 350 ohm 10 watt resistor as the other had cracks.

350_ohm_10wresistor.jpeg

• Like 1

Since I cannot get PCB type push/pull 250K linear pots anywhere anytime soon I went with lugged p/p pots. what a bitch to add. So I had to add wires and make it all somewhat flexible so they will fit in the chassis.

Here is one done. My soldering looks like hell. hard to do while floating in air. LOL Damn I need to get to my real workbench. I will clean them up once mounted so they are in place and not moving. LOL

MK

potswire1.jpg

• Like 1

So the secondary wires are in as well as the heater wires, A few ground wires and the standby switch. I moved the the Standby switch and small ground wires to the back side of board. Relocated the heater wires to allow me to get some distance in height above the secondaries to help on hum. Hopefully that will help?

A few more wires to do,  Check solder joints again and re-flow any that need it. Then to finish cleaning and recheck everything again.  Then it's time to do the slow process of startup and test.

MK 

secondaries_heaters1.jpg

Here you can see where it was update to the  93 upgrades

secondaries_heaters2.jpg

• Like 1

• MiKro changed the title to Carvin X100B Repair

I didn't realise until recently that the song 'Blue Powder' on Vai's Passion and Warfare album was initially recorded as a demonstration piece for the Carvin X100B. Guitar Player magazine used to have those removable vinyl records you could tear out of the magazine and play back on a tuntable, and it appeared on one of those in something like 1985 or '86. When Vai released P&W in 1990, he just remixed the original recording and stuck it on the album.

Pretty cool to think that such a wild song was actually much older than the album it appeared on :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, curtisa said:

I didn't realise until recently that the song 'Blue Powder' on Vai's Passion and Warfare album was initially recorded as a demonstration piece for the Carvin X100B. Guitar Player magazine used to have those removable vinyl records you could tear out of the magazine and play back on a tuntable, and it appeared on one of those in something like 1985 or '86. When Vai released P&W in 1990, he just remixed the original recording and stuck it on the album.

Pretty cool to think that such a wild song was actually much older than the album it appeared on :)

I always laugh at people that swear by Marshall and think that the early Carvins were a joke. Only for a few years 1988/ 1989  ( also the only years of the carpet exterior) did the x100b have only EL34 as power tubes. The ones before and after you could use EL34s or 6L6s and there was a bias switch for them. This gave it the ability to more than compete with any Marshall of the time. As it could get just as gritty and growl with the best of them using the 6L6 output/power tubes.  change to the El34s and they could get cleans that no Marshall ever could. Adding the 5 band EQ made the 3 Treb. Mid, Bass controls even more flexible. than a Marshall

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against a Marshall, but for the money the Carvin was overall the best deal out there for the same sound in my opinion. :)

MK

• Like 1

So now I am taking an old Peavey footswitch with 3 switches and going to make it work as an FS36XLR footswitch for this X100B. I don't have a footswitch for this and to get a replica is about $85.to $100 

Wish me luck. LOL.

UPdate : That is done. :)

MK

• Like 1

Well guys the new preamp tubes came in today. I must say, this thing is frigging killer. I forgot how good one of these amps can sound.

No more pops, scratches when knobs are turned. only a slight hum when at 100 watts and full volume ( expected )

OMG this thing is like brand new again. I am very pleased with my efforts and I know the Doctor will be as well. :)

Recap of work:

Replaced all of the electrolytic capacitors, replaced bad power resistors and a few others, added an adjustable bias pot, replaced all of the potentiometers, rerouted wires to minimize hum, replaced all tubes, and eliminated ground loops. Rewired an old Peavy 3way footswitch with XLR connector to work as a Carvin replacement foot switch.

WOW is all I can say. :)

MK

• Like 3

• MiKro changed the title to Carvin X100B Repair (done)
  • 1 year later...
49 minutes ago, Djstatix said:

I’m interested in the bias board you made.  Any help with parts used and pics would be nice.

They are posted in the first page of this thread. Very easy to make. Post number 4 in the thread. BTW circuit was checked and verified by Rob Robinette

mk