MORE SUSTAIN!!!!!

hi everyone!! B)

my cousin in the philipines is building a strat guitar (coppy)

strats has not too much natural sustain in them, my cousin wants to build a guitar that has much natural sustain on it, i allready told him instead of building a bolt-on neck, build it glued for more sustain...(mybe i'ts not really true) so i need some sugestions for the sustain of this guitar...

it's my cousins only 2nd guitar and the first one diddn't really turn how he liked it to be so...

his guitar has theese woods the strat coppy :

brazillan rosewood body,maple neck (one piece W/ headstock) maple frettboard.

main question:

how can you get more natural sustain? :D

is it in the neck,the finish etc...

-KILOWAT® :D

I don't know 1/10 of what these guys know,but I put jumbo wire on my guitar and didn't change anything else and the sustain was a lot better.Much better.

Would a thicker or heavier headstock help sustain?

jumbo wire definately helps

all of my players have dunlop 6000 wire (.018/.058)

i could tell the difference in all of them after doing the refrets

i also find it easier to bend with larger frets

& can play with a much lighter touch as well

i also feel that heavier strings due to more mass

help sustain somewhat as well

dr

• 4 weeks later...

KILO STRINGKILLA HERE. THE KEY TO SUSTAIN IS IN THE CHOICE OF WOODS. GOOD TONEWOOD EQUALS GOOD SOUND PROPERTIES. MAPLE MAHOGANY ALDER AND KORINA ARE AT THE TOP OF THE LIST. A TIGHT NECK JOINT WITH THESE WOODS EQUAL GTEAT SUSTAIN. ALSO MAPLE ALL THE WAY FOR THE NECK. THE OTHER ALTURNATIVE NECK WOOD IS DEFINATELY MAHOGANY. ALL STOCK FOR NECKS SHOULD BE QUARTER SAWN ANS ONLY QUARTER SAWN. I HOPE I'VE BEEN OF HELP. :D

I would think the straightest, tightest wood grain would be the best for sustain. Basic physics states that soundwaves travel fastest and farthest thru dense, homogenous material. Any joints or grain imperfections will cause the vibrations to alter from their intended path. That said, I believe a neckthrough guitar would have the best properties. I'm still working out a way to have the nut AND bridge mounted on the same piece of wood. Maybe use a neck that widens at the bridge area to encompass the mounting studs. Of course, this still has to be proven but I aim to check it out...someday.