Blonde Marauder

19 hours ago, ScottR said:

Looks like it's dying to be played Muzz. Well done!

SR

Cheers Scott, It was dying to be played, Its first played song was an original called Movin On that a friend and I wrote. If you are interested the demo track is here 

Then I played some classic rock on it, Led Zep, Rock and Roll and Black Dog, then Acca Dacca, Back in Black. I'll record a vid of the solo from My Sharona on it and post that soon.

Looking forward to hearing it! The old neck seemed to make the instrument "bloom" at A, specifically on the fourth string 7th fret. My #1 does that in E, mostly third string 9th fret. I love how different instruments have areas that have naturally-sustaining notes which just sing. Let's see if this changes things.

• Like 1

No wonder My Sharona was an international hit, it really has all it takes to be a great rock tune!

Listening you to play it made me search for other tunes by the Knack, truth to be said Sharona was the only one that got pass my fifties/rockabilly state of mind of that era... Had someone invited me to listen to their album back then I may well have liked it! At least the first album has lots of echoes from the earlier decades including a Buddy Holly cover... Oh well, I may have mistaken the band being either "punk" or "heavy", something that a ducktail guy would not touch! My loss!

• Like 1

Sounds great either way! I'm sure that this "blooming" note phenomenon that I keep calling that is maybe what others might term wolf tones? Certain notes that line up with natural coincidental resonances that compress or sustain more than others. To me, that's what gives my guitars character and also why I think that trying to make any sort of copy of "that" guitar will usually result in something else, still unique.

Great choice of demo material. You can't go far wrong there. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 8:46 PM, Bizman62 said:

No wonder My Sharona was an international hit, it really has all it takes to be a great rock tune!

Listening you to play it made me search for other tunes by the Knack, truth to be said Sharona was the only one that got pass my fifties/rockabilly state of mind of that era... Had someone invited me to listen to their album back then I may well have liked it! At least the first album has lots of echoes from the earlier decades including a Buddy Holly cover... Oh well, I may have mistaken the band being either "punk" or "heavy", something that a ducktail guy would not touch! My loss!

I am glad that I sparked your interest to check out more of The Knack's catalogue, and you have in turn sparked my interest to do the same. They have quite a discography and now I want to have a listen to more of their musical legacy.  Some of my favourite artists have shown a 50's/60's influence in some of their songs, like Joan Jett, T.Rex, Queen, Cheap Trick and even KISS, check out their cover of Any Way You Want It originally by the Dave Clark Five, it's awesome!

On 1/16/2022 at 6:08 AM, Prostheta said:

Sounds great either way! I'm sure that this "blooming" note phenomenon that I keep calling that is maybe what others might term wolf tones? Certain notes that line up with natural coincidental resonances that compress or sustain more than others. To me, that's what gives my guitars character and also why I think that trying to make any sort of copy of "that" guitar will usually result in something else, still unique.

Great choice of demo material. You can't go far wrong there. 

Cheers. and one of the resonances that I don't miss was a rattle with certain notes, that disappeared with the replacement of the old neck. The sweet resonance spots in different guitars, however, do draw people back to those areas on the fretboard. One of the great things about overdrive or distortion is that it magnifies those sweet synergy resonances. Just think of all the years we could have been born on this planet, and we arrived in time for clipping, score :) With the solo for My Sharona, I wonder if the other guys in The Knack told Berton Averre to play the Free Bird solo, but just don't repeat the trills so much and throw in some killer melodic phrases.

5 hours ago, Muzz said:

I wonder if the other guys in The Knack told Berton Averre to play the Free Bird solo, but just don't repeat the trills so much and throw in some killer melodic phrases

I wouldn't be surprised... Now that I've listened to a couple of dozens of their songs it seems obvious that they nodded to most any direction. Many songs sound like pastiches with elements of several songs of a certain artist - like their cover of "Heartbeat" on their debut album: Pretty similar to the original but the drumming was from "Peggy Sue"... And some of their vocal harmonies sound like those of the Beach Boys... Are they sort of a wiseguy band, quizzing the listeners if they could name the source of inspiration of each song?

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Prostheta said:

As if any musician in their right mind would make the suggestion, "play the Freebird solo"! haha

"Hotel California goes here"

😆 Love the instrumental at the end of Hotel California, I have seen the song described as a Trip Advisor review followed by a really great solo.

18 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

I wouldn't be surprised... Now that I've listened to a couple of dozens of their songs it seems obvious that they nodded to most any direction. Many songs sound like pastiches with elements of several songs of a certain artist - like their cover of "Heartbeat" on their debut album: Pretty similar to the original but the drumming was from "Peggy Sue"... And some of their vocal harmonies sound like those of the Beach Boys... Are they sort of a wiseguy band, quizzing the listeners if they could name the source of inspiration of each song?

Definitely yes, The Knack came bursting out of the gate on their 1979 debut album with the absolute banger "Let Me Out" which to my ear shows a lot of influence from Cheap Trick, just in case that wasn't obvious I think they included a little 'easter egg', listen in Let Me Out for the word "tonight' followed by a set of quavers, which is a nod to Cheap Trick's song "Clock Strikes Ten". 

6 hours ago, Muzz said:

😆 Love the instrumental at the end of Hotel California, I have seen the song described as a Trip Advisor review followed by a really great solo.

Definitely yes, The Knack came bursting out of the gate on their 1979 debut album with the absolute banger "Let Me Out" which to my ear shows a lot of influence from Cheap Trick, just in case that wasn't obvious I think they included a little 'easter egg', listen in Let Me Out for the word "tonight' followed by a set of quavers, which is a nod to Cheap Trick's song "Clock Strikes Ten". 

AirBnB review: "The place was left like an explosion in a bakery. The previous occupants must have been eating cakes night and day, and who has a mirrored coffee table anyway?" 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2022 at 10:50 PM, Akula said:

Well done mate! Looks and sounds great, and it appears you had a great time finishing the thing off. If I see it around the pub rock scene here, I'll say a g'day!

Cheers Akula, Yes absolutely mate, and it was a lot of fun to finish this one, I had to change tack a few times to get everything to fit together, for example I had never realised how wide a flying V style headstock is at its widest point and the maple headstock facing I had for the project was not going to cover it. But in the end, it's got some Straya timber in it and it sounds all right so happy days 😀