Anyone Use VCarve or Aspire for Their CNC?

KeysNGuitar

Hey All.  

A friend of mine has a nice CNC with which he uses VCarve.   He has used it some but still learning.  Do any of you happen to have VCarve or Aspire file for making a radiused sanding block?  I am making my first guitar and I am going to radius the neck to 12".  I purchased an 8" long sanding block from StewMac but would really like to make some of my own instead of pay so much.  I couldn't afford the Aluminum (or Aluminium for you Brits! :) ) so I opted for the cheaper one made from wood.   It  would be exponentially cheaper if I could just make my own but I haven't been successful.  His CNC is very nice.  So, the real question is does anyone have a file for VCarve or Aspire you would be willing to share so my friend can import it into his computer and get the G Code?   Lookin for 12" radius initially but would certainly love to have multiples.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

On 8/20/2021 at 1:23 PM, KeysNGuitar said:

Hey All.  

A friend of mine has a nice CNC with which he uses VCarve.   He has used it some but still learning.  Do any of you happen to have VCarve or Aspire file for making a radiused sanding block?  I am making my first guitar and I am going to radius the neck to 12".  I purchased an 8" long sanding block from StewMac but would really like to make some of my own instead of pay so much.  I couldn't afford the Aluminum (or Aluminium for you Brits! :) ) so I opted for the cheaper one made from wood.   It  would be exponentially cheaper if I could just make my own but I haven't been successful.  His CNC is very nice.  So, the real question is does anyone have a file for VCarve or Aspire you would be willing to share so my friend can import it into his computer and get the G Code?   Lookin for 12" radius initially but would certainly love to have multiples.

Thanks in advance!
Chris

I have Aspire as well as Rhino7, fusion360 and some others. If you want a sanding block with a 12" radius for Vcarve it will need to be an STL file so It can be imported for your friend to cut it. 

Here I made you a 14"L x 3"W x 3/4"D    12" radius sanding block STL file for you to have your friend cut for you

MK

12inchsandingblock.zip

• Like 2

they used to have this composite 2x4 stuff at lowes/home depot... made from recycled plastic bottles.  stuff is rock solid impervious to weather/moisture unlike wood.  often thought of using it for sanding block stock... but when I finally get around to going to snag some... seems it's online only now.  bummer.

• Like 1

A radiused sanding block or the like doesn't have to be a 3d model if using vectric. I would use the moulding tool path which is similar to the fluting toolpath in that it's  basically 2d and much quicker than machining a 3d model.  

Arm relief and belly relief cuts are the same and super easy to set up on a 2d plan. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2021 at 4:20 AM, RobSm said:

A radiused sanding block or the like doesn't have to be a 3d model if using vectric. I would use the moulding tool path which is similar to the fluting toolpath in that it's  basically 2d and much quicker than machining a 3d model.  

Arm relief and belly relief cuts are the same and super easy to set up on a 2d plan. 

Yeah if op describes what he needs to his friend he would be able to make a model in vectric in seconds.