My first painted build in like 15+ years.

On 1/16/2022 at 11:19 PM, Lumberjack said:

Got all the fretwork done today.  Jescar stainless steel has been an absolute game changer - I love the stuff!

As mentioned, that looks absolutely flawless. What makes Jescar SS special? I use the SS that LMII sells, not sure of the brand. I definitely like SS over nickel because it wears so much better. But it hadn't occurred to me that there might be stainless steel and then there's Stainless Steel.

SR

In my opinion, it's a quality question. Jescar wire seems to be drawn using better tooling than SS I've used before, and I wouldn't choose anything else now. One example I can think of is the residual fillet between the tang and the underside of the crown. Cheap wires end up rounded in that internal corner, which is one of the reasons bevelling fret slots help get a good seating. Jescar is very sharp. In fact, all of the wire's shape is very sharp and well-formed including the barbs. Sintoms (avoid: from Belarus) is somewhat soft and less well formed. It might be a perceptual difference, who knows? I've not spent time A/Bing, but I've always had continual excellent results from Jescar and I would pay more to find stock of it when I need it. Dunlop seems "standard". Reliable. I can't speak to the actual metallurgy of any wires.

22 hours ago, Prostheta said:

One example I can think of is the residual fillet between the tang and the underside of the crown. Cheap wires end up rounded in that internal corner, which is one of the reasons bevelling fret slots help get a good seating. Jescar is very sharp. In fact, all of the wire's shape is very sharp and well-formed including the barbs.

I would think the the presence of the fillet is structurally stronger and less easy to bend out of square to the tang than a sharp square interior corner.

That aside it is good to know about the quality of the construction.

SR

Oh, totally. I think a better wording would be "well-formed". There is a fillet, however it seems smaller and produced by better draw tooling. This might vary from batch to batch as tools wear through their lifetime. Cheaper wires seem to be less crisp. You can see how well the barbs are formed in the second photo. What's interesting is the wavy edge under the tang showing material displacement during the forming process. I'm sure that this doesn't take it out of spec, but it's an interesting artifact.

IMG_1663.JPG

IMG_1664.JPG

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I don't have any special reason for sticking with Jescar - they were the first brand of stainless I tried and I never had any reason to switch it up, it was always perfect as far as I could tell so I never had any motivation to experiment with other brands.  I've tried all kinds of nickel though.  The Jescar stuff just seems consistent to me so I stuck with it.  

Anyways, this build is done!

dP80z7q.jpg

PYYQ3d8.jpg

yZH1KHG.jpg

uyGEVrC.jpg

• Like 3