Walnut Vela build

I really like the shape! Never heard about the Vela before but I wish I had slanted my two-horned LP Jr. similarly...

And the wood... Both strongly figured and striped at the same time! Guess he wants it painted?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

I really like the shape! Never heard about the Vela before but I wish I had slanted my two-horned LP Jr. similarly...

And the wood... Both strongly figured and striped at the same time! Guess he wants it painted?

Yeah I really like the shape too. I never really bothered with Velas when I used to be into PRS because they only ever came with 22 frets and I wasn't a huge fan of the pickups. It makes me think of a not quite so offset version of the Crimson Scion. 

Fortunately he doesn't want it painted. It will be high gloss clear on the body and oiled neck. Looking forward to grainfilling without having to worry about keeping binding clean. 

• Like 2

first off the tops... ooh la la.  very nice.  should be an outstanding looking guitar.  

interesting idea to put an angle on a flat top bridge.  I guess if you are maintaining a slope for the neck pickup that might be required?  Either way I'm sure it will add comfort.  25.5 scale... the devil's scale lol.  surprising how much dif a half inch can make in terms of feel.  

man... you crank out some guitars.  I admire that - your work ethic is impressive.  I think if I tried to go faster I'd just make that many more mistakes - it's a skill unto itself.  take a bow.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mistermikev said:

first off the tops... ooh la la.  very nice.  should be an outstanding looking guitar.  

interesting idea to put an angle on a flat top bridge.  I guess if you are maintaining a slope for the neck pickup that might be required?  Either way I'm sure it will add comfort.  25.5 scale... the devil's scale lol.  surprising how much dif a half inch can make in terms of feel.  

man... you crank out some guitars.  I admire that - your work ethic is impressive.  I think if I tried to go faster I'd just make that many more mistakes - it's a skill unto itself.  take a bow.

Thanks Mike. I've put in a slight angle, in the region on 1º 
image.thumb.jpeg.c4617e5322a976cb13bb22d42aee06ac.jpeg

My rationale for putting the angle in is if you look at a tele or strat without the scratch plate, the fretboard actually sits quite a up way up off the body (I noticed that on the walnut tele I did at the start of the year) and it looks a bit weird to me. So I figured with a slight angle I can bring that fretboard a tad closer to the body. Also Dave likes to deck his action to the point where it's barely playable to me, so I just want to be sure that I can get the action really low. 

Cut the f-hole tonight and did the pot recesses. I need to do another mini one between the switch/tone (which is actually going to be a second volume) because he want's a mini toggle to split the bridge pup.

image.thumb.jpeg.4496dbd804bd66a8db990f566d4320c7.jpeg

• Like 2

right on.  1deg ain't much... but I bet it'll feel kinda nice.  yes, tele neck is typically 1/8" above body level + fretboard... so it sticks up 3/8" on a normal build.  that said... no rules.  my last it is about 1/8" higher than that... it's like walking a tightrope!  kind of nice tho in it's own way.  

dave/action... I am exactly the sm way.  i like them laying on the frets, the lower the better.  that said every once in a while i pickup a guitar that higher or just the action has changed due to temp/humid... kind of nice to play it a bit higher sometimes.  

anywho... I'll shut up now.

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

yeah it's a real time saver, at least it would if I was better at locating scratches!

right on.  that is an item on my "when I've got too much money hanging round" list lol.  looks like it makes for some great results tho.  keep doin' what yer doin'!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

Southern Europe seem to take weeks to dispatch anything and our postal service is on strike again.

Guess it's Southern Europe, or something in the transport. I just ordered a spare part from Portugal and they apologized for potential delays. It departed from Lisboa on Monday evening, departed from Porto late Tuesday evening and is now in transit somewhere in the Netherlands. Looking forward to get it next week before Wednesday which isn't too bad.

Not only the buffer, you seem to do a nice job yourself! The pinstripe is simply classy, almost aristocrat.

6 hours ago, mistermikev said:

right on.  that is an item on my "when I've got too much money hanging round" list lol.  looks like it makes for some great results tho.  keep doin' what yer doin'!

yeah it's great, my only gripe with it is the amount of space it requires and space around it to work safely so I've got it on casters which are a bit giddy so I end up wheeling it out and clamping the base to the leg of my workbench. Apart from that rather picky niggle, it's a massive time saver.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

Guess it's Southern Europe, or something in the transport. I just ordered a spare part from Portugal and they apologized for potential delays. It departed from Lisboa on Monday evening, departed from Porto late Tuesday evening and is now in transit somewhere in the Netherlands. Looking forward to get it next week before Wednesday which isn't too bad.

Not only the buffer, you seem to do a nice job yourself! The pinstripe is simply classy, almost aristocrat.

It often takes weeks when they transport anything over land from southern europe, I normally go with the cheaper option which is lorry all they way here and it does take an absolute age for goods to get to Calais. The thing with the likes of Maderas Barber, Madinter and G&W though is it often takes them weeks just to pack and dispatch the products. I know people harp on about brexit and the extra border checks, but an extra few hours at Dover is nothing when it takes them a fortnight to do a 15 hour drive with no border checks 🤷‍♂️

Anyway thank you, yeah the pinstripe is cool and I'll be doing it again for sure. Not only do I like the look but it also masks a dodgy glue joint should one occur :) 

I stuck some all in one swirl remover on my spare buff which did a masterful job and everything is now super shiny and she is getting used to her new shoes. It's tuned to drop B with 12-60 gauge strings so I think it's technically a bass. 

IMG_3913.thumb.jpg.8786338373ce2e31f780a854daeb16f3.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ADFinlayson said:

The thing with the likes of Maderas Barber, Madinter and G&W though is it often takes them weeks just to pack and dispatch the products.

Huh? In my experience it takes them about two weeks from order to delivery, the last few days being wasted here in Finland. Well, at least that's true for the first two, have never tried G&W.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...