My Tele...or...Strat

On 8/9/2022 at 4:08 AM, ScottR said:

Almost innocent even.

SR

and when you start working on them the stuff-ups start to happen and they become horrible little children!

Working out where the bridge will go. This was interesting, I always thought the first pole piece was 1/16th of the scale from the bridge but turns out its the centre of the pickup and same goes for a Tele, first photo. Second photo - ready to router the edge

1075607649_IMG_0946MyStratbridgelocate.jpg.caa9a97909a2eedf7753a781d2e0fc68.jpg1696862060_IMG_0949MyStratreadytorouter.jpg.27ca64f94b10d6c780c5b048dc890658.jpg

Then tragedy! The router guide wheel slipped up

488772419_IMG_0950MyStratmishap.jpg.0f88e52db9711c002aa546d4d7efcab0.jpg1774007133_IMG_0951MyStratmishap.jpg.402fd9bd0d2b46b30b5071d4cdf416e7.jpg

I've never had this happen before but even so, I should have had the wheel further over the template

509134716_IMG_0953MyStratrouterslip.jpg.79dd2708a5156cfb783d54db0ba85e3b.jpg1483354350_IMG_0954MyStratrouterslip.jpg.da05d63e9b024b1a0190cd413b8a99c7.jpg

So what do I do? reshape the body or patch it?

1306709244_IMG_0952MyStratmishap.jpg.63485221769a2c471a846b70f2a4c028.jpg

Years ago I spent a lot of time creating my own design but later on I found loads of other people have come up with the same basic shape, like a slender Strat

I could go with something like this to fix my problem, it would be unique. I'm so sick of patching!

1601149182_IMG_1919Tguitartemplate.JPG.06deff9ca38b3127d52ad2c54308387e.JPG

59 minutes ago, Crusader said:

So what do I do? reshape the body or patch it?

You can patch the template for future use. What to do with the actual body depends on the roundover. If you aim for a Tele type small roundover, making the body just that much smaller is the easy fix which no one will notice. If you're going for a Strat type almost half round edge, well, actually you'll have to do the same. Anyhow, the damage is so shallow that making the body just that much slimmer would be within tolerance. I highly believe that even the early Fenders weren't all within the same dimensions! Made by people means mistakes every now and then and wasting good material because of a 1/16" gap isn't good business.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 3:03 AM, Bizman62 said:

You can patch the template for future use

That is now In The Bin and I've made the trip to Bunnings and bought another sheet of 18mm MDF like I should have in the first place. If I'd done that it wouldn't matter if the guide wheel moved

Yes 1/16th deviation is no big deal but this is 4mm at the deepest point so I think I will go for patching, I've done it before a million times. Its just that I was aiming to have no mistakes with this guitar but I'm jinxed. I simply can't do anything without stuffing something up

I need to go do the vacuuming, suck some plectrums up the pipe

6 hours ago, Crusader said:

this is 4mm at the deepest point

That's whopping! I wonder if anyone would notice if the outlines of a Strat type body were reduced by that much all over except maybe the inside of the cutaways. Actually, aren't guitars still hand sanded despite being cut with a CNC? In factories they don't do the sanding with a block, they use powerful machines that can take that 4 mm off in a fraction of a second. Knowing that the thickness of a Fender Strat can vary between 1.5" and 1.77" (6.9 mm) honing 4 mm off the width doesn't sound much. The variations must have been even larger in the early days.

That reminds me of the early photos of Carl Perkins with his '52/53 LP Gold Top (the Blue Suede Shoes guitar): It looks tiny, on some photos almost like a mandolin! Well, Carl was 6'1" tall and being a country boy he also had wide shoulders.

All that said, I've seen the photos of your previous patches or should I rather say I haven't seen the patches in the photos...

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

All that said, I've seen the photos of your previous patches or should I rather say I haven't seen the patches in the photos...

Ha ha, thank you

59 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

That's whopping! I wonder if anyone would notice if the outlines of a Strat type body were reduced by that much...

Yes this is the thing, if it would be noticeable. Its a matter of weighing it all up. If I reduced the size where the mistake is I would have to do it the other side to keep it in balance. I can't do the design that I made myself because the lower mid section of the Strat is narrower. I would have to do a complete redesign and it might end up looking odd. Its a safer bet just to do the patch because I'm Bob The Builder

I went through the vacuum bag last night, I didn't find any plectrums but I found 3 buttons off my Doona cover! ......So what's happened to all my plectrums?!!!!!

Well I'm going out there now to have a go at the patch, wish me luck!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bizman62 said:

...thickness of a Fender Strat can vary between 1.5" and 1.77" (6.9 mm) honing 4 mm off the width doesn't sound much. The variations must have been even larger in the early days

Oh yeah forgot to mention. I made a Strat in 1999 from a Strat Copy (Hurricane by Morris) and my copy of a copy is virtually identical to my Template except the lower horn is about 6mm longer

• Like 1

I managed to get the patch done today and I'm very happy with the result, have to share

The best patch would be from an offcut right next to where the mistake is, but I want to make some sort of over-sized Strat so I took it from the end. The end grain still runs the same way so its all good

595854032_IMG_0958MyStratchoosingpatch.jpg.fc3403f6f06dae9ec546702b520cb9b4.jpg 273367490_IMG_0971MyStratpatchchoice.jpg.3b2016f095c6d73559e84758b7f72b83.jpg

1949192155_IMG_0962MyStratpatch.jpg.42b4935fd99dfd8025fe9fa46b6b06c0.jpg 1967986701_IMG_0963MyStratpatch.jpg.678102c29858dc0becf9ba363894946f.jpg

36129824_IMG_0959MyStratrouterpatch.jpg.aac2b693483fad468b7c8f960b306c81.jpg 1069754572_IMG_0964MyStratgluepatch.jpg.368123758a10654ca8778af573f0736d.jpg

2114381387_IMG_0966MyStratpatch.jpg.350fad53523c5a61a574995faebfe86f.jpg 1891517471_IMG_0967MyStratpatch.jpg.ed70701e557f575e8ed5eb475fde687a.jpg

Positioned the template to run the router around, and the deviation from the original shape is about 1.5 mm

1963856587_IMG_0968MyStratpatchrouter.jpg.556c699273ad5e8828c24f82a1a78b0a.jpg 2001240167_IMG_0969MyStratpatchdone.jpg.22b0aff73e5c9ab2c3c98c73c27e7570.jpg

Turned out quite nice I think, and the little nick from the fretsaw is just a little bonus

1873404728_IMG_0970MyStratpatchdone.jpg.8e329d3651858d28380b7d3ac9af8b62.jpg

Just thought I would add...

The patch is in a place where you're least likely to notice and I deliberately started the routing there in case of something going wrong

• Like 1

You should change your forum name to MrPatchman!

Without knowing what you'll be using for a finish, even a semi-transparent burst would hide every last detail of that patch!

• Like 1

It's when these screw-ups happen, and they happen quite often, that we find out what we're capable of. That patch was well executed. Good job.

I've had the bearing slip on me before. We prolly all have. I learned to use a bit of plastic tubing on the shaft, just under the bearing, to make sure nothing wobbles out of place.

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2022 at 12:56 PM, Crusader said:

nd when you start working on them the stuff-ups start to happen and they become horrible little children!

Har! So true!

Nicely done. Just like horrible little children turn us into accomplished parents, nasty mishaps in a guitar build turn us into accomplished luthiers......eventually.

SR

I can't explain what made me change from a Telecaster to a Strat. When I bought the wood it had a Strat chalked on it and the thought crossed my mind "its an omen" but I was adamant that I was going to make a Tele.

This is wading in deeper into my memory but it was something about the preference for the larger headstock of the 70's Strats and how I messed that up on the one I made in the 90's and this time want to get it right, and incidentally I got that wrong anyway. It turned out 10% smaller and @Bizman62that idea of making the whole instrument smaller was given great consideration!

In my Googling lately I found there are people who don't like the large headstock of the 70's Strats and after some consideration I can see what they mean, so I'm happy with the slightly smaller one

Just did a mock-up of what it might look like. I found a Strat scratch-plate in the shed so I might use that rather than the Tele one on order. In fact I might keep all the Tele stuff for another project, I have some wood I want to use. Another idea is no scratch-plate...looks a bit bare

2090062360_IMG_1033MyStratmock-up.jpg.1811cc60e7fc1fea2007f26ae46b7971.jpg 2074839887_IMG_1034MyStratmock-up.jpg.c4b461702e43aec2487d7bda79574ddb.jpg

is a really lovely piece of ash.  if it were me... (and it's not) I like when things match.  it'd be cool to have a pick guard from the sm wood as the neck... or perhaps if you could make a veneer-thin piece of that neck wood and glue to the top of the pickup covers... might tie the room together nice. ymmv... and just a thought.

9 hours ago, mistermikev said:

is a really lovely piece of ash

Sure is!

So you reckon a maple scratch plate? I like the white Strat pick guard I think it makes it pop, but it is a shame to cover up the wood. I don't know but should have placed the controls on the tele mock up, makes it balance out a lot better. Photo posted now

9 hours ago, mistermikev said:

... or perhaps if you could make a veneer-thin piece of that neck wood and glue to the top of the pickup covers...

Can't really do that with Tele neck pickup...! but I have thought about making wooden pickup rings. Guitars that have no pick guard my fingers get caught in the gaps while playing

I have a Tele pick guard on order but it is still a month away but I have all sorts of options going through my head, the main two being;

1) I have the gear to make this a Strat so why not use it? I have a Dimarzio Fast Track 2, a SD little 59, pick guard and switch. I just need a Hard Tail Strat bridge

2) I could stay with the Tele theme and do a 1/4" round-over + no belly cut etc. Basically do everything like a Tele but shaped like a Strat

Either way I do like a pick guard but I don't like how the pickups are mounted onto plastic on a Strat. From experiments I've done I know what a difference it makes and after all thats the thing that sets Tele's apart

IMG_1036.jpg.e3588b4af19299975727361daa3ccb16.jpg

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Crusader said:

Guitars that have no pick guard my fingers get caught in the gaps while playing

The neck pickup cavity can be make quite snug, I've done that to both my Strat and Tele. You only need about 8 mm on the sides. On a Tele you only need to worry about the neck pickup anyway. A wooden or metal pickup ring may also be an option. Or, if you really want to tinker, make the pickup cavity snug on the top and carve it larger on the inside, leaving just enough space to access the screws! Like so:

image.png.21a4f9020a011b2538db7f09151bb067.png

4 hours ago, Crusader said:

Sure is!

So you reckon a maple scratch plate? I like the white Strat pick guard I think it makes it pop, but it is a shame to cover up the wood. I don't know but should have placed the controls on the tele mock up, makes it balance out a lot better. Photo posted now

Can't really do that with Tele neck pickup...! but I have thought about making wooden pickup rings. Guitars that have no pick guard my fingers get caught in the gaps while playing

I have a Tele pick guard on order but it is still a month away but I have all sorts of options going through my head, the main two being;

1) I have the gear to make this a Strat so why not use it? I have a Dimarzio Fast Track 2, a SD little 59, pick guard and switch. I just need a Hard Tail Strat bridge

2) I could stay with the Tele theme and do a 1/4" round-over + no belly cut etc. Basically do everything like a Tele but shaped like a Strat

Either way I do like a pick guard but I don't like how the pickups are mounted onto plastic on a Strat. From experiments I've done I know what a difference it makes and after all thats the thing that sets Tele's apart

IMG_1036.jpg.e3588b4af19299975727361daa3ccb16.jpg

maple scratch plate... well i figure if you are gonna cover up the wood... do it with another piece of lovely wood.  

tele neck pu - well you can buy a topless pickup cover for it and place wood there... it's what I did on my last tele build.  i guess I'm just into wood more than plastic but nothing wrong with a pickguard either.  that said a tele neck pickup is such a dark sound... just changing to an open cover makes a world of dif afa sound too.

just thoughts.

6 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

The neck pickup cavity can be make quite snug, I've done that to both my Strat and Tele. You only need about 8 mm on the sides. On a Tele you only need to worry about the neck pickup anyway. A wooden or metal pickup ring may also be an option. Or, if you really want to tinker, make the pickup cavity snug on the top and carve it larger on the inside, leaving just enough space to access the screws! Like so:

image.png.21a4f9020a011b2538db7f09151bb067.png

Something like that has crossed my mind but how would you get the pickup in? I think I'm missing something from your suggestion. I could leave the bass side open for easy installation

3 hours ago, mistermikev said:

....I guess I'm just into wood more than plastic ...

To be honest so am I. Stratocasters look fabulous on the wall in a shop but when I play one and look down at the controls and see all that plastic it looks really cheap

• Like 1

You know what out of all the Parallel Universe variations this looks the most acceptable to me

https://musicplayers.com/2018/09/fender-releases-limited-edition-whiteguard-strat-parallel-universe-collection/

I think I mentioned this already, for a Gibson fan I have very strict ideas about Telecasters (even thought they're my least favourite of the most popular guitars) Things like "A middle pickup does not belong on a Tele"..."Humbuckers do not belong on a Tele"..."Binding does not belong on a Tele" and so forth. It just doesn't look right, its just wrong, there should be a law against it

In the link above the Strat has a Tele headstock which I usually dislike immensely but on that guitar it looks okay. A Strat headstock on a Tele however just looks wrong, it should never happen, there should be punishment for doing such an injustice!

18 hours ago, Crusader said:

Something like that has crossed my mind but how would you get the pickup in? I think I'm missing something from your suggestion

As always, the sketch is exaggerating. My idea was to provide enough wiggle room for the base to slide in and mount the pickup to the bottom. Like this:

image.png.f036a4878745c44bb1c7b3f23a1a6bb6.png

• Like 1

A note to the above: after just having played on my Tele-ish I noticed that there's actually not too much base board past the screw holes, the screw caps pretty much cover that area. So to keep things easy it should be sufficient enough to just make the pickup cavity snug.

That said, I wonder if that idea would work in the other direction, hiding the cable eyelets:

image.png.cbd56ffff213f23200d5c9984de06e70.png