Revisiting an old design

Feel a bit sheepish because not too long after the help that Bizman gave me regarding straightening the Wenge neck, I decided to go for the carbon fibre neck I built a while back. I figured that hey, it’s built already and will save me a tonne of time. Sorry Mr Bizman, I will definitely use your advice, probably on my next build! Anyway, roughly lined things up. I’m gluing the neck in with epoxy, I can’t imagine titebond working too well in this instance. It’s a 20 radius, so hopefully should work nice for a slinky action.  

I’m going to be doing the basic top mount for the output jack.

Only thing that is annoying me slightly is that the pickup I have that suits this build aesthetically is pretty high output (Irongear Hot Slag). I tend to like a bit more versatility in the form of nice clean sounds as well as distorted/overdriven. Anyway, will see how this goes!

Still a couple of minor alterations to do to the shape too.

4BA4B27B-8F9A-4B88-B1D0-33E4FBA6BE12.png

A23E0D61-8A8D-4C6C-A43A-82CDA5A6D6C8.png

F822E3B0-08F6-4445-BD74-C72487D0383E.jpeg

FE153AA2-64D5-43FA-BF56-A04146DE468F.jpeg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

Sorry Mr Bizman, I will definitely use your advice,

No panic, nothing to feel sorry about. You had a neck you can use so why not use it?

Besides, the more time you give for straightening any wood the better the result will be.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I got the bridge on today and strung it up. Still a bit more to do but I just couldn’t resist. Ignore the crappy winding, I was in a rush and just wanted a basic check haha. 

I really think there is something to be said about the carbon fibre laminate construction when building a neck. The sustain is really good, one of the best sustaining necks I have made for sure. The only neck I have built with a similar sustain was a wenge one with a baseball bat profile, sounded great but was a bit of a tank 😂 This carbon build is 21mm thickness across the whole neck.

On top of this I’m getting a nice low action with minimal buzz. It’s easily 1mm on the high E, perhaps lower...I need to do a more accurate measurement. I know that low action chasing is sometimes seen as a bit silly, but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling...what can I say 😂

FDDB6BD6-E98A-43DA-8615-654F72CADE2C.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Not a huge amount to report, although been doing more contouring and there will be more of that to come. 6.8 lbs with all the hardware on it. I really feel it may be missing that little something...what do you think of the idea of some faux ‘F’ holes which may go all the way through the wood? Rough idea below... 

9741E8D6-12DA-41E0-808A-2B1428880214.jpeg

Faux f-holes through the body would significantly reduce weight. The idea is not too much different to the monkey grip of the Jem...

That said, if you choose that route I suggest you to do it in steps, first cutting through the top only and then gradually working your way down through the darker base, evaluating in between steps. You might find an illusion of a bigger chamber and if that pleases you, slanting the cavity walls would both enhance the illusion and reduce weight.

Also, making a smaller f-hole on top and carving it wider on the back might be visually interesting.

If possible, use offcuts for testing!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bizman62 said:

Faux f-holes through the body would significantly reduce weight. The idea is not too much different to the monkey grip of the Jem...

That said, if you choose that route I suggest you to do it in steps, first cutting through the top only and then gradually working your way down through the darker base, evaluating in between steps. You might find an illusion of a bigger chamber and if that pleases you, slanting the cavity walls would both enhance the illusion and reduce weight.

Also, making a smaller f-hole on top and carving it wider on the back might be visually interesting.

If possible, use offcuts for testing!

A slight danger of neck dive coming up (the neck is on the heavy side) but I feel it’s worth the risk. After all, such aspects don’t bother me as much as some. Anyway...all the convincing I need! Cheers 😆

2 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

If you're worried about neck dive, the more I suggest doing it from the top in baby steps, considering both size and depth.

Yes, I may well play it safe. Just dying to get a finish on there! Can get frustrating at times because that’s generally the last step and lots of little things to do before hand 😆

Incidentally I have some Polyvine Crystal Clear lacquer for the purpose. Will be brushing it on. I may try a foam brush for this. Apparently it’s pretty damn hard stuff. We will see. 

Lots of sanding etc to go but made a nice bit of progress this weekend. Changed the shape on the top horn slightly and it’s a bit shorter now. Down to 5.5 lbs now with the hardware all on. Changing the pickup to a nice chrome covered one- an Irongear Blues Engine. Tempted to make this a direct mount...unfortunately I’ve already drilled the screw holes for the pickup ring but that’s not going to be hard to cover up! 

45DA6C10-7BC3-4EBA-AD66-1B2AC142668D.jpeg

1B7916C1-610D-4B7B-9268-5500852A54B6.jpeg

• Like 2

That f-hole looks way better than I thought it would! And the size is just right - you may have read between the lines of my previous posts that I was suggesting a smaller hole to start with but now that it's done it clearly is the right choice. A real hole with a proportionally chunky block in the middle. That's definitely a functional feature, not decoration! There's some similarity with the Yamaha SLG200 silent guitars with the traditional outlines for ergonomics.

Well done!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

That f-hole looks way better than I thought it would! And the size is just right - you may have read between the lines of my previous posts that I was suggesting a smaller hole to start with but now that it's done it clearly is the right choice. A real hole with a proportionally chunky block in the middle. That's definitely a functional feature, not decoration! There's some similarity with the Yamaha SLG200 silent guitars with the traditional outlines for ergonomics.

Well done!

Yes, I kind of contoured everything in to the hole...if that makes sense 😆 I like the arty vibe I got from doing that. 

• 5 months later...

So….after lots of prep work I started putting a ‘finish on’. I say finish, I simply flooded it with epoxy 😂 Lots of titivating to do afterwards! The end result is quite amber, which wasn’t what I was going for…but fairly happy so far anyway.

As an aside, I learnt a new trick the other day. Used a razor blade instead of finishing off the sanding. Actually worked quite well! 

IMG_1938.jpeg

IMG_1939.jpeg

10 hours ago, ScottR said:

That's an idea that's been tempting me as well.

What brand of epoxy did you use?

SR

I have no idea! I’ve been getting it from a friend of the family that works at a carbon fiber company. I get the leftovers 😃

The best epoxy I have used though is Epodex. It’s more clear and you can get a glassy look really easily with it.

3 hours ago, ShatnersBassoon said:

I have no idea! I’ve been getting it from a friend of the family that works at a carbon fiber company. I get the leftovers 😃

The best epoxy I have used though is Epodex. It’s more clear and you can get a glassy look really easily with it.

I recently did a table top with Total Boat. Your description fits that nicely as well.

SR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In a slight quandary regarding the string gauge to choose for this guitar, being that it’s a 24 inch scale length. I know that technically you can get a lower action with heavier strings, but the lighter ones feel more slinky. I like ease of bending but I also don’t want a situation where the strings are rattling against the frets when I set it low. Hmm…maybe 10’s? I like 9’s on a 25.5 scale, or 8’s if I’m feeling adventurous…although the bass strings sometimes feel a little loose.