My Compact Workshop

Stu.

It's pretty nice to have a dedicated space for general woodwork and guitar building. Obivously it's constantly evolving, but this is what I'm playing with right now:

Main bench, pattern makers' vise, dust collection, downflow box:

IMG_9867.thumb.JPEG.bb1ae731664db5f52a763db0226a8508.JPEG

Woodworking sundries, hand planes, hand saws, CNC behind plywood stock:

IMG_9864_00.thumb.jpeg.c674b8786708e0844ec09d18e49bad2b.jpeg

Power tool cupboard, drum sander cart (with mitre saw on the bottom), bobbin sander, drill press, little bench planer, thicknesser: It's been amazing since making the drum sander trolley - so much extra space compared to the Axminster stand.

IMG_9865_00.thumb.jpeg.13fbff6d86d4f2df506d31b5a89ed034.jpeg

Bandsaw, table saw, clamps, hand tools, softwood offcuts, hardwood offcuts and stock:

IMG_9866_00.thumb.jpeg.efddb75cc076be944dc857a61acc8565.jpeg

Now that Christmas is out of the way, I need to get an electrician in to wire it up and sign it off.

• Like 3

Man, that is so disgustingly organized, I'd be afraid of getting sawdust on  anything. How do you keep it that with with the zombies?

Seriously impressive Stu. And I presume those great little projects were created right there....and everything was put back where it belonged? That's the part I struggle with.:)

SR

2 hours ago, ScottR said:

Man, that is so disgustingly organized, I'd be afraid of getting sawdust on  anything. How do you keep it that with with the zombies?

Seriously impressive Stu. And I presume those great little projects were created right there....and everything was put back where it belonged? That's the part I struggle with.:)

SR

Yep, pretty much! It's just like being in labs - everything goes back in the correct home, ready for the next day/use. I find it's very helpful to have a space which I can control and keep tidy. Probably something in there for a therapist to unpack... 😄

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, mistermikev said:

that's crazy clean... I haven't seen my garage floor in months... all purple and maple colored!!

Whatever you do, never have carpet tiles in a woodshop. It was such a bad decision! The dust doesn't come out, the glue stays in, and curls of wood get caught everywhere. It is soft on the old feet though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stu. said:

Whatever you do, never have carpet tiles in a woodshop. It was such a bad decision! The dust doesn't come out, the glue stays in, and curls of wood get caught everywhere. It is soft on the old feet though.

well I have the equivalent... slab cracks!  they just collect stuff and the only way to clean them is with the compressor and air... and then it makes for a cloudy room for a while... but i get your point!

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 10:28 PM, ADFinlayson said:

Bloody hell that's tidy, you must get so bored with all the extra time not wasted looking for tools.

It gives me more time to procrastinate and tidy obsessively! Whilst my little CNC was running today, I consolidated a bunch of tool boxes, cleared a little shelving unit, and made a shallow shelf for holding scale templates and neck related things. It isn't a pretty shelf, but it is a shelf and it's thin interior T&G cladding.

IMG_0102.thumb.JPEG.a907c6794706f7d4731283057b99f442.JPEG

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ADFinlayson said:

I didn't spot a CNC in the above photos, but that will explain where all the tidying time comes from!

He tries his best to do inlays, starter fret slots, mounting rings, and small routing templates.

Honestly, I usually tidy because of decision paralysis. Sometimes I can’t decide which task to tackle next, so I tidy for a bit first. I also really hate climbing over stuff to work - I used to build in my dad’s cluttered workshop, barely having room to move, hence creating the polar opposite 😂

C3126042-6582-4F90-B4BB-C4592114A1E6.png

46 minutes ago, Stu. said:

I used to build in my dad’s cluttered workshop,

My father kept things tidy so I guess it’s my obligation to be the messy one. I do tidy between projects but it can be big mess most of the times. And I hate it but apparently I’m not able to anything about it.

Noticed your ticket stub collection. I got tickets to me and my 11 year old kid for next summer. I’ve seen maiden quite a few times, but it’s nice to go with the kid. 

68ABC098-DDCF-487B-83C0-EF2A72B05EE3.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, henrim said:

My father kept things tidy so I guess it’s my obligation to be the messy one. I do tidy between projects but it can be big mess most of the times. And I hate it but apparently I’m not able to anything about it.

Noticed your ticket stub collection. I got tickets to me and my 11 year old kid for next summer. I’ve seen maiden quite a few times, but it’s nice to go with the kid. 

That'll be a fun evening and bonding moment! I saw Maiden with my parents all those years ago and it was great.

I have a bunch of other tickets somewhere, but no idea where. A few of the Metallica ones are missing.