Jam's Gone Mad.

Akula

56 minutes ago, Akula said:

The annoying part was trying to keep Barbie's hair out of the glue join!

That's the issue with long haired women, be they wives or dolls. Yesterday I had a strand of female floss in my salad. And pulling a hair from under your foreskin has to be done delicately...

Had to check out if that was going to be a headless guitar but by no means no.

On 12/27/2023 at 9:17 PM, Bizman62 said:

That's the issue with long haired women, be they wives or dolls. Yesterday I had a strand of female floss in my salad. And pulling a hair from under your foreskin has to be done delicately...

Hahaha duuuude! 🤣

On 12/28/2023 at 5:18 AM, woodfab said:

My wife hates Barbie.

Mine too! That's why she pulled all their heads off!

Right, so that WeldOn glue is pretty strong. After taking the clamps off, I couldn't twist or squeak the wings at all. They've formed a triangular box section, so geometrically they should be very sound. I routed the tops and backs to the exact profile of the sides, and while routing acrylic always sucks, it came out pretty good.

Now it's time for the finishing phase. This comprised of sanding all the exposed timber until it was glassy smooth, and staining it black. 

image.thumb.jpeg.66872dfb9c656ff626a267600cdc10ee.jpeg

The stain seems to raise the grain a little, but I'm always reluctant to sand it again and risk going through. I tried something new - I burnished the wood with a scrap of MDF, and then with a rough rag. The maple ended up glassy smooth, once again. Now it's time for a few coats of Tung oil - well technically it's a product sold as "kitchen oil", and it's made for benchtops and cutting boards, but a look at the data sheet tells me it's basically just Tung oil.

image.thumb.jpeg.a69b4ebce5f2190e9b725f5091a0f42c.jpeg

I'm going to do a few coats of oil for sure, I think a matt finish wouldn't fit the aesthetic as well as satin towards gloss. 

- Jam

• Like 1

Whilst waiting for a bunch of tung oil coats to cure, I figured I'd make a jack plate and pickguard. I had previously made these items, but then I screwed them in using 2mm screws in 2mm holes, and cracked them. Whoops!

So I cut the jack plate using a hole saw, and carefully removed the "plug" to reveal a mostly round-shaped mirror object. Attached an M6 bolt, nut, and washer, stuck it in the drill, and wiped it on some coarse sandpaper at high speed until it was rather circular. Got my bevel done in the same way.

image.thumb.jpeg.74e6fd06833f8835d46e92d67c61a4c5.jpeg

Pickguard was pretty easy to cut, three straight lines and a bunch of sanding on the edges. This mirror acrylic stock has been lying around in the shop for a few years, and the backing has definitely detiriorated in that time. Heads up - mirror acrylic will get damaged if you leave it on the sheet stock shelf for long enough! When I wet sanded the sides, the watery gunk flowed over the face of the pickguard and made these awful stains that I can't seem to remove with metho. These imperfections almost made me order some new stock, but when I screwed it onto the guitar in question, I realised that it would fit the style nonetheless. 

image.thumb.jpeg.acec0a1fda924d5eac4e7812d6a67da6.jpeg

Interesting thing about the jack plate, spinning it lathe-style against sandpaper gave it quite the thermal shock, and it cracked, but just around the edges. Same argument, I figured the broken mirror effect sort of fits the corpse-filled guitar look. It's staying. 

image.thumb.jpeg.dd2833c2f4767f0b7d459b1f386c6865.jpeg

I masked off the sides leaving just the router-milled surfaces of the tops and backs exposed, then sanded the machine marks away. I could've gone much higher with the grit numbers, but the cloudy finish gives the impression of some sort of binding. If I wanted to go super glossy I could've flame polished the edges, but I didn't want to risk the glue joint opening up.

image.thumb.jpeg.c94443485c6916cb292f7c745f9c43e2.jpeg

Here we are, all rigged up with another coat of oil to cure. 

image.thumb.jpeg.80866d9f387363e6fbdeb56ffdd488b1.jpeg

I've done four coats of this tung oil, and I'm thinking I might do one more tomorrow and call it quits. The horns and edges of a guitar are normally the main points to protect, but the timber doesn't see any of these parts. And I'm aiming for a satin finish at the most. So yeah. One more coat, assemble, show the world my most insane creation.

- Jam

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, henrim said:

Acrylic cracks easily. Counter sinking the holes may help some. But better alternative is to use polycarbonate for clear parts that are fastened with screws.

One of my first experiences working on live TV was screwing in an acrylic facia to a riser during a changeover, and I went too hard and cracked the corner off. About thirty seconds to air, back from an advert break. Camera tape saved my ass, but I learned all about how easily acrylic can crack!

Polycarbonate would indeed be a better solution, but acrylic was easier to source, and it's a known material to me - sometimes it's all about the devil you know.

- Jam

• Like 1

On 1/3/2024 at 1:08 PM, tjiscooler said:

I love this!

HOw did you size the fingerboard to the neck? looked like you glued the full blank onto the neck, but a router wouldn't make it past the body?

Thanks!

Yep most of the fretboard was trimmed flush with a router, but you are correct, the router won't follow past the point where neck meets body. For the last little bit, I used a chisel.

On 1/4/2024 at 8:16 AM, ScottR said:

This definitely needs to be a prop in a horror movie!

It's so creepy it's cool.

SR

One day it might be 😆

- Jam

Oil's cured. Wax, assembly, electronics, strings, fretwork, strings, and setup. Normal story - guitar's far from normal.

IMG20240104190405.thumb.jpg.d36a3bb6a80fb5cb268f49353caafbf1.jpg

Just need to make a truss rod cover with my logo, and this atrocity is complete. Shall I make it out of steel sheet like my other builds, or do it with mirror acrylic?

IMG20240104190414.thumb.jpg.b49fa7529bda3204f4fe7dfe9f796a1f.jpg

- Jam

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Akula said:

do it with mirror acrylic

That would tie up with the other damaged mirror acrylic parts. Is the mirroring surface easy to scratch from the bottom side? If so, scraping the mirror off for your logo might look interesting.

9 hours ago, Bizman62 said:

That would tie up with the other damaged mirror acrylic parts. Is the mirroring surface easy to scratch from the bottom side? If so, scraping the mirror off for your logo might look interesting.

Yep, that's the direction I was going as well. The backing is easy to scratch off, I'm thinking if I do it with a Dremel it'll have a clouded look on the underside of the acrylic. 

My headstock design is rather slim, too, and it doesn't leave a lot of room for a large cover, so the logo will be quite small. 

- Jam

On 1/11/2024 at 6:43 PM, Akula said:

Just need to make a truss rod cover with my logo, and this atrocity is complete. Shall I make it out of steel sheet like my other builds, or do it with mirror acrylic?

- Jam

Mirror is my vote. Make it oversized to fill the entire headstock for extra obnoxious. :D