Acrylic Lacquer ?

alan hipson

when the word "lacquered" is used in the music business, it usually means a nitrocellulose finish. well i read that somewhere, i just don't remember the exact quote. nitrocellulose was the first solvent based finish to be used on solid body guitars. the use of polyurethane on solid body guitars came a little later. either way, they are both good finishes with their pros and cons.

i use automotive acryllic clear(U-Pol system 20 MS Clear) on my guitars. it takes a while to dry fully hard. but when fully dry it is rock hard and has excellent transparency.

over here it is commonly known as 2-pack lacquer,and all of the automotive body shops i know of use it.

john.

• 3 weeks later...

Acrylic is a plastic resin. It can be used in lacquer to make the working properties different from a nitrocellulose lacquer. It adds some durability and reduces yellowing over time.

Acrylic can also be dispersed in water with some solvents making it possible for the tiny acrylic droplets to come together after the water (carrier) and solvents evaporate forming a film. (i.e. waterborne).

The change to acrylic lacquer was brought on by the auto industry in the early 60's. Fender "custom" colors of the 50's and 60's were Dupont automotive lacquer.

Why do you think that most manufactures left lacquer in the dust long ago.

I thought it was mainly the cure time. There are still many builders who swear by lacquer and do not care for poly. I've seen debates on this subject get pretty nasty so I'll leave it at that.

4. Whenever possible remember that people are here to learn and help each other. Getting or giving a different opinion about how or what to do is not an attack on your ideals and ways of doing something, just a healthy way of viewing and learning different ways to go about what needs to be done. After all there must be well over 20 different ways just to apply paint to a guitar alone.

as you can see from the rules page,there is no reason or call for slagging nitro or poly

Shellac dude, Shellac.

I don't know why everybody has a problem with shellac, it's been used on instruments for hundreds of years, but no one ever wants to try it on the forums, I have no idea what the deal is, it's great stuff. It is probably the 'original' instrument finish, but no one ever seems to want to get behind it, I have no idea why. There are violins and tabletops out there that are 200 years old that still have their original shellac finish in tact.

Must be a 'trendy/hip' thing...I guess shellac is out of vogue these days, but it is exactly what you asked for.

It's 100% natural

It blends in with prior coats beautifully

It's easy to buff out to a high gloss

It's brushable

It lasts for hundreds of years

...Shellac...the 'other' finish :D